Motivation

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
BlueYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Motivation

Post by BlueYellow »

What gets you motivated for Torquay matches and what do you think motivates the players?

I just like the feel of the club as one and seeing the commitment within the players, normally Mansell.
I brought this up as I was talking to Brano and he was saying that he held a 3rd round draw at half-time to motivate the players, and that he wants number 21, Leicester in the next round.
NewtonGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by NewtonGull »

i love it when Mansell come's to the popside and gets fired up. Not alot of teams do that, one of the reasons why i'm not a fan of the Premier League or Championship. League one and below is where the real football and commitment is! thats what gets me motivated! real football, real fans!
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: E. O kane

Post by doogull »

completley agree with you NewtonGull, you can see the passion in mansell everytime he's on the field and it flows through the team..........sometimes
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Lee Mansell is one of those special players who is totally committed to his club but not so up his own a*se that he thinks he is bigger than the Club.

If he continues as he is going he will end up in the same hall of Torquay fame as the legendary Kevin Hill.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by doogull »

without a doubt he will be, and when you have a youth set up like ours and the gaffer wants show the young lads how to give 100% for 90 mins just watch lee every week and if you do what he does then you have a real chance of making a living out of the game as let's face it lee mansell is not the most gifted footballer but he underpins his game with massive stamina levels and a wonderful attitude to the game and that can get you by in this division.
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

Turning into an "I <3 Mansell" thread - am a big fan of his too, and delighted that he's our captain. Back to motivation, if you're as obsessed as I am it's never been an issue, and I fear many of us come to Plainmoor for the real football reasons, love of the club and the team spirit that are a marketer's nightmare. Funnily enough, Bucks mentioned motivation on Radio Devon yesterday and said he had a special motivation session with the players prior to kick off - would love to have been a fly on that wall.
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by cosmic74 »

What motivates me is the simple fact that I am a real supporter of a real football club. OK, so I wish I could get to more games, but my job dictates that. I work with people from all over the UK, and I much prefer it when I speak to people who are real supporters of real footy teams, who go and watch games whenever they can, rather than those Chelski, Man U and Liverpool fans who never watch their footy team, unless they are on TV. How do they get motivated??

As for the players, we will always have players like Mansell, who has a family and where playing for Torquay is a living and not the next step to a big pay cheque.
I live for matchdays!!!!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

interesting thread.

depends what you class as motivation.

i know a few pro footballers, and they are honest about what motivates them.

they like to win just like we do!

and of course its being paid like the rest of us. some of them couldnt give two hoots for the football club/town/city. in most cases they are looking to forward/lengthen their career.

i do think that pros in leagues 1 and 2 are motivated for doing whats best for the club they play for - hence thats why manse has had a good write up on here.

if you consider that there are very few players that play for their home town club, so there lies a problem in itself - they dont have the passion (and motivation as such) to deliver the goods.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by doogull »

of course money motivates all of us in our jobs to a degree but as in football and civvie street if your not happy in your job/club you will not perform to the standard that you would if you were happy no matter what money your on I can speak from experience.
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Tynan

Post by sadlad »

Good to see a player like Mansell gets fired up before games. Fans appreciate that.