AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
YellowM25
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by YellowM25 »

Jeff wrote: Yes.

Possibly one of my worst experiences of a TUFC fan. That game was one of the turning points of that season. Blatant cheating by the MK Dons players, and the ref ordering the re-taking on their penalty once Nathan Abbey had saved it was ridiculous and depressing in equal measure. I'm pretty sure Phil Prosser was the ref, and it was one of most memorably bad refereering displays I'd ever seen (along with Salisbury away in the BSP).

The home game against MK Dons that year wasn't any better either.....
I was sat in the home end for this game :Oops: and the mood over there was one of quiet relief to say the least... they all knew it was a game we should have got atleast a point out of.

As soon as Mickey Evans hobbled off we imploded.

YellowM25
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I was there that night at the Hockey Stadium. If I remember rightly we didn't play particularly well, but Ward scored very early and very late in the first half, both long balls up the pitch for him to run on to.

MK Dons may be good for the community, but wasn't there already a Milton Keynes FC that were much lower down the league structure, which ended up being closed due to MK Dons taking over?
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Awayday wrote:I was there that night at the Hockey Stadium. If I remember rightly we didn't play particularly well, but Ward scored very early and very late in the first half, both long balls up the pitch for him to run on to.

MK Dons may be good for the community, but wasn't there already a Milton Keynes FC that were much lower down the league structure, which ended up being closed due to MK Dons taking over?
No we didn't play that well, but it certainly wasn't a game we deserved to lose! As for the club that folded, there was an MK City FC that played in the Southern League (or something like that) which managed to fold twice - once in the late 80s, and then again in 2003 after they'd reformed (not long before the Dons arrived). Whether it was connected to the Dons arrival I don't know. With MK being an amalgamation of lots of historic towns, like Bletchley, Newport Pagnell and Wolverton, there's plenty of football on offer at a similar level to MK City were at, so I don't think it's a massive disaster.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

But didn't the demise of MK City lead to the demolition of the ground at Wolverton, which had something like the oldest stand in the world (or something of equal significance). It is a sad state of affairs that local historic clubs struggled and ultimately died - if the people of MK wanted a league club so much they should have got behind one of the existing clubs.

talking about the game in which we lost 3-2, I actually thought we played pretty badly. We had 2 shots in the whole game (pretty much), both of which Ward scored from. At half time it felt like it was going to be one of those games where we just got the rub of the green, but quite the opposite happened.
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

To the best of my knowledge, Wolverton's old ground was demolished to make way for a new housing estate, but after a local news campaign, the stand (the oldest covered one in the world - built in 1899) is still there and will either remain as a monument or be moved somewhere else. It's a shame they moved ground really - I'm playing against Wolverton for my local side on Sunday! I quite agree about the people of MK not supporting their existing clubs - and living round these parts just makes me prouder to be a Gull!

John