AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons

Post by Awayday »

If this cup tie does take place (depending on how each of their replays finish) I am tempted to go and stand with the AFC Wimbledon fans for the day, but wearing my TUFC shirt. Please let me know if anyone else may be interested in going, there is not commitment needed at this stage, at this moment in time I need to change things in my diary as well if they both get through.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I doubt I'd go due to my little angels but I have family in MK and my brother will be going as he's an AFC fan. He'd be chuffed to see a few gulls there if this fixture came about.
BletchleyGull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Robertson

Post by BletchleyGull »

If this game happens surely it will be picked as a TV game
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

BletchleyGull wrote:If this game happens surely it will be picked as a TV game
You would like to think so, but I wanted to show my support for AFC Wimbledon.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Living in London, i would probably be up for going and supporting AFC, as I won't be getting down to Plainmoor for our game.

There was a documentary on Football Focus ( I think) not too long ago about what would happen if these two met in the league next year or the year after and the AFC supporters said it was all still a bit raw to envisage playing MK yet, so I imagine there would be a heavy police presence!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Surely the tickets would be in such high demand as AFC get a near on sell out for league games, so surely these would be taken within hours?!?!
sexygulls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by sexygulls »

An AFC fan of mine tells me that Wimbledon do not want this game. Basically they don't even want to acknowledge that MK Dons even exist and by playing against them they would legitimize them. There's serious talk of a boycott if the game happens, at least amongst fans.
JoeBarlow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by JoeBarlow »

tempting but I think tickets will go fast
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

It is still quite raw my brother won't refer to them by name and hates that they call themselves the Dons. If he went it would be for some sense of satisfaction to see AFC win (I hope) but it wouldn't make them forgive or forget. A boycott would be effective I think but so would an array of different football shirts in the AFC end, if not more so. If it happens it will be highly charged.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Blatant plug time: I wrote a piece about this on an American site. Match Fit USA
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

Good article Happy.

I have been searching through all sorts of forums on the subject of them meeting and it seems the general public want to boycott it so that MK Dons don't get a share of the money and secondly if it is televised then the empty crowd would embarass the TV company.

Realistically MK Dons are favourites, so surely the more people that get behind AFC Wimbledon and get behind the team, the more chance there is of MK Dons being beaten, and not getting any more money through further rounds.... Obviously AFC Wimbledon will be in the 3rd round draw and might get to play a big club like Liverpool (1988).

I personally will be keeping an eye out for this one, and will make an assetive effort to go with my TUFC shirt and stand with them shoulder to shoulder. I think any football fan who cannot make their own game on that day, should be in Kingston for this one, with their team colours and supporting football as well as AFC Wimbledon. I might even take the drum :lol:
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I'm thinking that the majority of AFC fans will have been waiting for this day since the inception of their club. So although the support of the wider football community is commendable, perhaps the tickets should be saved for their own supporters...? I wouldn't like to think that many of their own supporters missed their big moment because the tickets were taken up by everyone else.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Play at a neutral venue to allow every supporter wishing to see the game to do so?

Never going to happen, but is it a good idea in general? Chances are that only local derbies at lower league clubs (I know that 3,000,000 people would have a ticket for Man Utd v Liverpool, but this isn't the sort of match to which I refer) which would require this, so I'm sure a suitable local venue could be arranged such as not to inconvenience one team noticably more than the other. More money from gate receipts and infinitely more importantly than this (football exists, after all, solely to entertain, it serves no useful purpose) many, many more people would be able to attend a game which may never again occur.

Thoughts, or am I mad, or better yet, should I start this as a thread such as not to clog up this already very interesting thread with an equally interesting one of my own? Mods, if this is the case, please do the necessary.

Matt.

(Honestly, I kock out this rubbish at an unprescedented rate, yet ask me to do 1000 words for a law essay and can I even think where to begin, can I 'eck as like!!!)
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Living in Milton Keynes, I have quite a few mates who are MK Dons fans, and I think in all honesty that both sides would rather this potential tie had never happened. I'm as big a critic as anyone of the way Milton Keynes 'acquired' it's football club, and can only think how devastated I'd be if a similar thing were to happen to the club I love. But what they, and Pete Winkleman to some extent, must be praised for is the way they've thrown themselves into the community here. They are a constant face at public events, and in local schools, and make a real effort to attract young kids and families to home games with some very good offers. An aspect I daresay we could improve upon (although with this weekends prices, perhaps we've turned a corner).

Still, nothing can eradicate what they did to the club and it's fans in the first place, and I have massive admiration for AFC Wimbledon and what they've acheived. If it happens, it will be an intriguing tie. Just on a purely selfish level, I'd quite like to see the MK Dons win so that we can draw them in the 3rd round, and exact some revenge for the last time our two sides met (beginning of the 2005/6 season? At the now demolished National Hockey Stadium, Jamie Ward had put us 2-0 up at HT, only for us to lose 3-2 after some dodgy defending and some even dodgier refereeing! Anyone else on here there that night?).

John
Last edited by miltonkeynesgull on 11 Nov 2010, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

miltonkeynesgull wrote:Living in Milton Keynes, I have quite a few mates who are MK Dons fans, and I think in all honesty that both sides would rather this potential tie had never happened. I'm as big a critic as anyone of the way Milton Keynes 'acquired' it's football club, and can only think how devastated I'd be if a similar thing were to happen to the club I love. But what they, and Pete Winkleman to some extent, must be praised for is the way they've thrown themselves into the community here (something maybe Bletchleygull could attest to?). They are a constant face at public events, and in local schools, and make a real effort to attract young kids and families to home games with some very good offers. An aspect I daresay we could improve upon (although with this weekends prices, perhaps we've turned a corner).

Still, nothing can eradicate what they did to the club and it's fans in the first place, and I have massive admiration for AFC Wimbledon and what they've acheived. If it happens, it will be an intriguing tie. Just on a purely selfish level, I'd quite like to see the MK Dons win so that we can draw them in the 3rd round, and exact some revenge for the last time our two sides met (beginning of the 2005/6 season? At the now demolished National Hockey Stadium, Jamie Ward had put us 2-0 up at HT, only for us to lose 3-2 after some dodgy defending and some even dodgier refereeing! Anyone else on here there that night?).

John
Yes.

Possibly one of my worst experiences of a TUFC fan. That game was one of the turning points of that season. Blatant cheating by the MK Dons players, and the ref ordering the re-taking on their penalty once Nathan Abbey had saved it was ridiculous and depressing in equal measure. I'm pretty sure Phil Prosser was the ref, and it was one of most memorably bad refereering displays I'd ever seen (along with Salisbury away in the BSP).

The home game against MK Dons that year wasn't any better either.....