Fleetwood Town or Walsall at home

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

sadlad wrote:Thanks for the welcome, folks. Northumberland Gull (Bruce)- I would guess Walsall would probably bring about 200 maybe 250 for this game IF we win! Had it have been early season in the other two cups a lot more! I will certainly come down to this game if we progress. I have only seen 2 games at Plainmoor over the years but stayed on holiday in the area many times. Its my favourite holiday destination to be honest and I love the place. Never want to return home! Yes our form thi sseason is terrible. Its a club in turmoil with a LOT of resentment towards the manager, and the owner.

BernardB- yes Fellows Park used to have a covered cowshed down one side, a main stand and covered terrace behind the one goal. The open end...up to 1965 used to be just a fence and the wall of an old laundry where nobody was allowed to stand. This was demolished and a terrace was put up there in that year 1965.

Urbanspaceman- nice to see you signed up here mate! I know that like me you have a soft spot for Torquay :)

Regards to all.

Dave.
Let's hope it stays that way untill after you meet us then! :)
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

BernardB wrote:Thanks for the info Dave. I remember Walsall as being one of the only two "three-sided" grounds in the country. The other was Sheffield United's at Bramall Lane where Yorkshire cricket was also played until (I think) the mid-70s. The Sheffield set-up looked very peculiar - massive stands on three sides and just the touchline on the other!
Did you not visit Northampton when they shared the ground with the cricket team Bernard?
One long side of the pitch was just a temporary barrier. Made i larf! :) :)

Anyone think of another existing 3 sided ground (in the league), apart from the Kassam ??

Oh, anyone else on the coach that got bricked on the way back from a walsall cup match, must have been in the late 70's maybe?
I remember it was damn freezing on the way back with the window missing. We went via a local hospital so someone could get their head stitched up? We did win though :)
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Tynan

Post by sadlad »

Bernard.. Never went to Sheff U when it was a three sider. I did go to Northampton when they shared with the cricketers! Saw Walsall in the FA Cup at Stourbridge last season...that was exactly the same!

Wurzel... we will be a club in turmoil for a long time yet, mate!

Fletch... sorry to hear of that nasty incident in the late 70's. Thankfully those days have gone. As you said, at least you won!
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by sadlad »

Did any of you travel to Bescot for the first league game at the stadium 20 years ago? Here is an article I did on that game that may refresh your memories.

http://www.walsall.web-fans.com/index.p ... &Itemid=21
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

I went to Walsall to watch Bees on the day of the Harrods car bomb attack. It always sticks in my mind as the Walsall fans were so friendly and sympathetic - and the Police were great, trying to find out more details for us and helpline numbers etc as some of us had friends/family 'in town' that day... Top lot, you Saddlers!

<will stop now as showing my age smilie>
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Hi Fletch
I was on that coach that got bricked ! The drive back to Bristol to change coaches was the coldest I think I have ever been in my life ! It was an FA Cup 1st round game in season 78-79 and we won 2-0 with goals by Steve Cooper and Alan Wilson.
Did you go to the second round game as that was a bit scary too at AP Leamington when "supporters" of various midlands clubs invaded the pitch at regular intervals to make our acquaintance !! An Ian Twitchin goal earned us a third round trip to Newcastle.
I was on the coach to that game when we heard it was called off so we went to London to watch Spurs hold the mighty Altrincham 1-1 at White Hart Lane. We were all blagging to the Spurs fans of how we all knew Colin Lee !!

Interesting days !
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by sadlad »

westbaygull wrote:I went to Walsall to watch Bees on the day of the Harrods car bomb attack. It always sticks in my mind as the Walsall fans were so friendly and sympathetic - and the Police were great, trying to find out more details for us and helpline numbers etc as some of us had friends/family 'in town' that day... Top lot, you Saddlers!

<will stop now as showing my age smilie>

Hi Westbaygull.

Thanks for your post. That was 17.12.83 when a Ally Brown penalty gave Walsall a 1-0 win against Brentford. That was quite heartening that the Walsall police and supporters were so helpful and supportive on that horrible afternoon in London.
BernardB
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BernardB »

Good luck tonight Dave!
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Walsall it is!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Let's hope it doesn't go to a replay, I just checked the long term weather forecast and it doesn't make pleasant reading...

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/b ... 28?month=1

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by sadlad »

Thanks, Bernard.

We sure needed a bit of luck.

In truth, Fleetwood deserved to go through over the two games. But for Jimmy Walker Fleetwood would have been 3-0 up at half time. The 2-0 scoreline don't paint a true reflection at all. So we have managed it and I have booked my coach ticket after the game for Plainmoor and am really looking forward to the prospect of playing The Gulls. Let's hope its a good game in Devon.
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Well, Sadlad, you're sure of a warm welcome at Plainmoor!

Well done on last night! :)

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The benefit of playing Walsall is they will have a mid-week game preceding the tie, same as us, Fleetwood would not have.

I'll leave any matchday comment until NickGull writes up the official matchday thread.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"