Man of the Match - Some statistics so far...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Man of the Match - Some statistics so far...

Post by Gulliball »

For anyone who is interested, I've added up all the replies from so far this season, up to and including the Morecambe game. I tried to devise a system that is as fair and representative as possible, but as you can imagine, it's a pretty tough task. The system I went with gives points for each game, weighted from positions 1-5, with extra points for being man of the match (ie first). Every person suggested scores at least a point.

It's noticeable that the games with the highest number of replies have been the games where a neater consensus has been reached. So if you are at a game, then please take just two seconds to list up to five players who deserve some credit, and then by the end of the season this might be an interesting tool to use when deciding a player of the season. Certainly the more people who reply, the more accurate it will be.

In the 14 games played so far, 19 players have scored points, ranked below in order. The number in brackets is the number of points I've equated the nominations to. It'll mean nothing in itself, but it's useful to see the proportions of who is trailing who by how much.

1. Zebroski (55)
2. Branston (41)
3. Mansell (38)
4. Nicholson (36)
=5. Ellis (31)
=5. Benyon (31)
7. O'Kane (29)
8. Bevan (21)
9. Stevens (12)
=10. Wroe (6)
=10. Robertson (6)
=10. Oastler (6)
=13. Rose (5)
=13. Gritton (5)
=13. Carlisle (5)
=16. Charnock (3)
=16. Senda (3)
=16. Kee (3)
19. Macklin (1)

The following graph and list shows how many times out of the maximum possible (14), a player has been nominated for inclusion by someone at the game. In the graph they are in order of total points, so you can see who has been consistently in the top 5 and who has scored their points in one-off blinders. The list is ranked in order.

1. Zebroski (13)
=2. Branston (11)
=2. Nicholson (11)
=4. Mansell (10)
=4. Ellis (10)
=6. Benyon (9)
=6. O'Kane (9)
8. Bevan (7)
9. Stevens (5)
=10. Wroe (3)
=10. Robertson (3)
=10. Carlisle (3)
=13. Oastler (2)
=13. Gritton (2)
=15. Charnock (1)
=15. Senda (1)
=15. Kee (1)
=15. Rose (1)
=15. Macklin (1)

In the 14 games so far, Chris Zebroski has been voted man of the match by you the most times, with four.

Guy Branston (2), Elliot Benyon (2), Scott Bevan (2) and Eunan O'Kane (2) are all level in second place. Lee Mansell and Kevin Nicholson are the other two players to win in a single game apiece.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Interesting

I voted for Macklin- being his one and only score
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Thanks for this Gulli, an interesting little thing you've done there.

Thoughts... Well, our two "Big Name" players, Benyon and Mark, are doing ok, but the stand out performer is obviously Zedders. Will he be in a yellow shirt on Feb 1st 2011? For me, Bevan is worryingly far up the list. I don't really mean genuinely concerning, but it would be nice if he had so little to do that he was never mentioned.
Interesting to see Nico as far up as he is. Not that I think he hasn't been good, just perhaps not the type of player who necessarily does the kind of things which usually catch the eye and get MOTM nominations.
The very noticable jump from Wroe to EoK really shows the difference between the very good and the very average in our side. Not that I object to the guys further down the list. Roman (I know, I know) Rose looks well tasty and guys like Carlisle and Macklin aren't playing enough to pick up points.
I've said it before and I think I'll probably say it again, but if you don't expect Billy to get goals, you'll find he plays much better than you think. He is the best player on our roster at doing that job in the hole behind a front two. Feed him the ball on the deck, to his feet and you won't take it from him any time soon.
Aside from this, I feel Zedders is a worth leader at this interim stage and he deserves a special clap or something at The Coach-bricker stadium (or whatever their stupid ground full of boneheaded fans is called these days) tomorrow night.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Fascinating stuff, well done that man!

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Zebs deservedly leading. Branston will probably be overtaken by Mansell and Nico soon enough. If we can find a regular role for O'Kane (still advocating the left wing slot over here!), he could make a late surge.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

A late surge? With still 32 games left?! ;-)
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

NickGull wrote:A late surge? With still 32 games left?! ;-)
Already 26 points behind, 6 players in front of him. It would be a slow, sustained, late surge :)
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

O'Kane is arguably up there with Zebroski for the most impressive peformer when you consider he has only made 7 starts and 6 sub appearances. To get 9 point scoring games from those is incredible. The players above him have (in order) 14, 14, 13, 14, 12 and 12 (1) appearances, and it's only Zebroski who's substantially ahead of him.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

This Man of the Match and stats it produces is a fantastic idea an should be applauded. I do love a good stat and these definetly are!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/