Mansfield

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

As long as they don't postpone the game 10 minutes before kick-off, it'll be fine. It was quite funny seeing Keith Haslam have a spasm, though.

That rescheduled match was a great game, though. I went the year after, too, when we were...horrible.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Was there late in the 2003/4 season when we lost 1-0 (?). Thought we'd equalised, as did the other 300 or so, but ball was scooped off the line at the last second!

Got bit by a dog outside, maybe things would've been better had I been bitten inside the ground! ;-)

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

Northumbergull wrote:Was there late in the 2003/4 season when we lost 1-0 (?). Thought we'd equalised, as did the other 300 or so, but ball was scooped off the line at the last second!

Got bit by a dog outside, maybe things would've been better had I been bitten inside the ground! ;-)

Cheers

Bruce
Bruce - we lost 2-1 actually. You had a drum and a kilt, as i recall
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

happytorq wrote:As long as they don't postpone the game 10 minutes before kick-off, it'll be fine. It was quite funny seeing Keith Haslam have a spasm, though.

That rescheduled match was a great game, though. I went the year after, too, when we were...horrible.
I remember Kevin Dearden telling supporters that it was like an ice rink during the warm-up. Went down to get a burger, hopped back up and the game was called off at 1935.

As you said, the rematch was a classic. Lost 2-1, think it was Liam Rosenior who had one cleared off the line, but it was a fantastic game of football which was worthy of a higher level. Glory days.

My other visit to Field Mill was the season before. Beaten 2-0 on a miserable night. Hankin was sent off, although Graham almost scored from the halfway line.

We have a rotten record there - not won in our last eight visits. Hopefully Gritts can net another hat-trick in this fixture...
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Been there once, in 2005/06 I believe. Got smashed 3-0. Carl Priso and Mamadou Sow and co..

What a crap day that was! :|
Pepperami
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Pepperami »

Yes they were shocking weren't they? I seem to remember it being very early in the season and having to run to the ground through a torrential downpour. Better memories of a late Garry Nelson screamer on a cold night with part of the Sheffield Weds band playing along behind us. Steve McCall was serenaded with the theme from Steptoe & Son. My mate always maintains that the crossbar is still rattling from a Brian Kilkline screamer in the first half.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

They were, Pepperami. It was the second weekend of the season - following on from a 1-0 midweek away defeat at Oxford (lets hope we win these two this time around!!)

And yes, it was chucking down!
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Mansfield have contacted me asking for answers for their match day programme, would anyone like some claim to fame and be in it by answering these questions? PM me or email to [email protected] with your answers and we will forward on the best answers.

(40-80word answers please)

Name/age/length of time supporting the club

What your strengths? (Both club and squad)

Weaknesses?

Most important player(s)?

How difficult-a league was the BSP to get out of?

How does life back in the Football League compare to BSP?

What was your initial reaction to drawing Mansfield in FA Cup (easy game or cup upset)?

Where you see Torquay realistically finishing this season?

Any other business?
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

I have been to Field Mill four times but have only watched two games there as a Gull. The first time i went the game was postponed 10 minutes before kick off due to an icy section of the pitch. OK for me as i only live 10 minutes away in neighbouring Chesterfield, but for most Gulls it was a sickener and a shocking decision to not call it off much earlier. I even visited the club the day after to have a rant at the general manager about it and suggesting that fans were at least reimbursed somehow. Fell on deaf ears i,m afraid. Second time was the rearranged game which i think we lost 2-1 and i left my scarf behind too! Third game was a bleak hammering 5-0 i believe on another night game. Ground is ok, good views but don't upset the stewards and do not under any circumstances park in the adjoining retail park. You will be ticketed or clamped. Final game was on the last game of the season against Rotherham when the Stags were relegated from the football league. It all kicked off afterwards with fans storming the directors box, fans on the pitch and coppers everywhere. Utter madness but good fun if you were a neutral!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

This is a tough draw - but after tonight's performance we must stand a chance of atleast taking them to a replay.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Modgull wrote:This is a tough draw - but after tonight's performance we must stand a chance of atleast taking them to a replay.
Which we don't want as it takes away our Sky TV game with Barnet (and the money that'll bring). Not sure which financially works out more lucrative, but I was quite looking forward to seeing us on TV!
crazyfool
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek 'The Dude'

Post by crazyfool »

I'm quite looking forward to seeing myself on tv!! :)
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Check your inbox
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
wodger-of-Awabia
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Zebroski

Post by wodger-of-Awabia »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: are you having a laugh or have you been drinking? :roll:
No, & no,
Yesterday at Oxford, it appears that he played his second reasonable game in a row after 12 months of being poor. No danger of him playing well again on saturday then! Thank goodness we have now got some decent young kids that will, I.M.O. prove to be "up for it" & far better than Nicky Wroe. We will be able to get shot of him in the summer, because as you know he wan't to go back up north.
Zebroski For Poland..........I am Brian!,& so is my wife!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Would not be a bit surprised if T.T. did not get the better of us we should never have got rid of him, far more class than Super (poor & ineffective) Nicky Wroe. Adam Murray could also be a problem.[/quote]

are you having a laugh or have you been drinking? :roll:[/quote]

No, & no,
Yesterday at Oxford, it appears that he played his second reasonable game in a row after 12 months of being poor. No danger of him playing well again on saturday then! Thank goodness we have now got some decent young kids that will, I.M.O. prove to be "up for it" & far better than Nicky Wroe. We will be able to get shot of him in the summer, because as you know he wan't to go back up north.[/quote]

if you seriously think that t.t is better than nicky wroe then you have some serious football issues mate.

funny that hes played in the last two games and we have won them both. strange that.
as for "decent young kids" we will have to wait and see - as posters have said on the match thread that o'kane didnt exactly cover himself in glory last night.
and, as other posters have alluded to, nicky wroe has stepped up and they (not me) have noticed that perhaps he is missed by the team for what he brings to it, and you notice it when hes not in the team.

cheers
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468