Away End For Home Fans Poll

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Would you like to see Home fans using the current Away end?

Poll ended at 27 Oct 2010, 16:03

Yes.
50%
No.
7%
Indifferent.
4%
I would use it.
21%
I wouldn't use it.
18%

Total votes: 68

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Jerry, you're more than entitled to your vote, whichever way you decide, I'm just confused as to why you vote against it, yet say you're happy for the Club to give it a go. Would you like to see those in the Family Stand move into the Pop? As you rightly say, we barely half fill the ground these days, so why not spread the support, it allows those that want to generate an atmosphere to do so in that away end where undoubtedly the noise carries much more.

You mentioned the cost of the entrance to the behind the goal areas but isn't the Family Stand a more expensive option than that of the Pop?

As for the view, I would agree that overall it is better from the side of the pitch if you're on the halfway line but not when it comes to goalmouth action ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Dave - Traditionally, if you went to (Maine Road as a personal example) a "major"ground, it was always cheaper to go behind the goal than be along the long side of the pitch. I know its different now at Plainmoor with the family stand, but didnt it used to be cheaper when it was the mini-stand?
Im with Jerry from the viewing side of things. Ive tried all 4 sides of the ground and prefer the view from the pop side or the grandstand (now im a bit older :) )
Apart from having a barrier down the middle of the away end and use the popside half for home fans and the grandstand half for away fans, im not too sure how the logistics of getting people in and out through seperate turnstiles would work(bearing in mind the segregation), without a major alterations to the entrances on the popside (assuming we were to allocate about 1/3 of the popside for visitors).

I picked the middle option :)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I'm not really contesting that, Fletch, it just seems strange that Jerry votes no to the poll and then contradicts himself by saying he's happy for the club to try out the option.

I've no doubt that he's right in the majority of cases about the pricing, but that isn't what this thread is about.

As for the subject at hand, many times I've heard the Family Stand over the Pop and I'm 100% certain that the away end with a few hundred singers in it would be the best way of raising the atmosphere and creating what Paul Buckle undoubtedly wants.

At the old Dell, they had the Archers Road end split more or less 50/50 and that was where the real atmosphere was to be found, even though there was no roof on it, it just happened to be where the die-hard singers preferred to go, behind the goal.

As an aside, I remember the home cup game against Yeovil a couple of seasons ago. Inside the Pop it sounded fantastic, close to the loudest I've experienced, get home, watch a recording and you can barely hear us, you could hear the Yeovil lot loud and clear, for me it's simple, if the team want to hear us supporting them then we need a section of that away end.
Dave

Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

I'm not sure why you are confused Dave, I voted no because I don't believe it would be a good idea in the long term. However, I'm happy for the club to give it a trial run and prove me wrong.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Jerry wrote:I'm not sure why you are confused Dave, I voted no because I don't believe it would be a good idea in the long term. However, I'm happy for the club to give it a trial run and prove me wrong.
I m with you there.

SG is getting old now Jerry. You will have to bear with him... :)
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Jerry wrote:I'm not sure why you are confused Dave, I voted no because I don't believe it would be a good idea in the long term. However, I'm happy for the club to give it a trial run and prove me wrong.
SouthamptonGull wrote:Would you like to see the Board implement the use of a section of the away end for home fans.

You voted NO, then say that you want the Board to give it a trial run, that's what I found confusing and contradictory.
Dave

Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

I voted yes and I would (and have previously) use it. But with the Grandstand being upgraded soon it might not be the best of ideas at the moment.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

To be honest we dont even get enough fans to fill the bit of stand we already got!!!!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

thinks its a good idea

and stick the away fans in the new grandstand like we have to suffer at away matches! :x
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I like the idea of having home fans behind the goals. I think most clubs recognise the advantages of this now - which is why at most 'big' grounds the Away fans are housed in a corner, out of view where their presence is noticed less. But i get the impression most of the support for this idea comes from the 'extra noise' that will be generated? If that's the case, i'd rather they left the set-up as it is, and instead tried to do something to the 'Pop' that would improve the acoustics. I'm no expert, but i doubt they'd need to take the roof off and start again? Anyone know if there is a cheap and simple answer?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:thinks its a good idea

and stick the away fans in the new grandstand like we have to suffer at away matches! :x
The obvious problem with this is that if we had a decent away following - over 1000, there wouldn't be enough seats left over for our own supporters that currently sit in the Grandstand. I doubt they'd be happy having to relocate to the Family Stand.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Fonda wrote:I'm no expert, but i doubt they'd need to take the roof off and start again? Anyone know if there is a cheap and simple answer?
It's weird, the design of the roof and the angle is no different to the away end, however the away end is much louder. The only thing I can think of is it is the material of the roof itself, and that the roof in the popside absorbs the sound, where as the away end reflects it, hence why the accousitcs are better? You sometimes get the same affect in older recording studios, if they have the old style solid concrete / brick walls you get really good accousitcs (which is good for rehearsing but bad for recording) but newer studios tend to have plaster board which creates less echo (good for recording but bad for rehearsing). A quick win solution would be to have a plastic board along the front edge of the roof on the popside which points towards the pitch rather than away like the roof does now, and deflect the sound back into the stand. Either that or just all move to the awayend ;-)

If we all do move to the away end, do we get to rename it? If so can I suggest "The Back Step Army Stand"?
davethegull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Zebs

Post by davethegull »

This might not be.....erm....popular, but if we're going to think the unthinkable maybe this could work.

Why not give the Pop side to visitors? Or maybe half of it upto the entrance stair well in the middle. This would provide a natural segregation point and would also give their fans the crap acoustics. A turnstyle by the police box would be needed. We have given up part of the Pop before and it worked quite well. Those fans who didn't want to migrate can stay and those that do can go behind the goal or into the new grandstand along with the usual users. I'm not sure how many half the pop could hold but surely enough for most away support. For larger numbers then part of the new grandstand could be made available.

Just a thought for discussion.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Absolutely not. It should be recognised that the supporters of TUFC are not entirely those who contribute to this forum. If that were so, it would seem that the entire fan base is made up of those who think that the creation of an 'atmosphere' by banging and shouting is what constitutes support. If these youths want to make a racket then bugger off to the away end! The pop. side is NOT for visiting fans, but for us - those who do not necessarily bang, shout, chant, make a bloody nuisance, and think that supporting a football club means only making a loud noise. Us old 'uns exist too and have our rights! If we don't want to bang and shout so much then that is our choice.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

wivelgull wrote:Absolutely not. It should be recognised that the supporters of TUFC are not entirely those who contribute to this forum. If that were so, it would seem that the entire fan base is made up of those who think that the creation of an 'atmosphere' by banging and shouting is what constitutes support. If these youths want to make a racket then bugger off to the away end! The pop. side is NOT for visiting fans, but for us - those who do not necessarily bang, shout, chant, make a bloody nuisance, and think that supporting a football club means only making a loud noise. Us old 'uns exist too and have our rights! If we don't want to bang and shout so much then that is our choice.
Well quite Wivel, but then the "young 'uns" have rights too, and if they want to bang and shout (or create an atmosphere if you like) then surely they are allowed to do this too. If they stay in the Pop then so be it!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com