Fans Forum write up.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Just beat me too it, cheers Dave, reliable as always.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Cheers for that. I agree with everything Bucks says there pretty much.

I think maybe he was a tad harsh on Tim Sills but in football sadly that's the nature of the beast. Ultimately the decision has been a correct one. He still hasn't scored a meaningful goal for Stevenage. Thing is I'm also not surprised that he reconsidered trying to get him back, I think his 'target man' play is better than Gritts from what i've seen thus far and i think he could do a job for us still.

Hargreaves was just too old, as sad as it was for him to go he was done at this level. too many injuries and couldn't play 2-3 games a week. a club like ours with the budget we've got simply can't carry passengers for sentimental reasons.

Unsurprisningly lots of talk about attendances but Torquay historically have never really averaged much more than 2500. To change that will take the new stand, some investment into the playing staff and a succesful team. Simple as that. Easier to say than do of course but that's what people want to watch. a good side in a good venue that wins more games than they lose. It's a catch 22 situation where they need the money from the fans to finance a lot of it but the fans want the product to go and watch first. It needs that outside investment from somewhere.

I am convinced our club is in good hands on and off the pitch. They will make decisions (not always the right one) in good faith and with the clubs interests first and foremost. As fans that's all we can ask for.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I made sure I copied it first, just in case it got lost in cyberspace :)

Never "averaged more than 2500 historically" are you kidding me? When I first started attending Plainmoor as a child, we used to regularly get gates 3 or 4 times that average. I'd be interested to see exactly what those averages are over the last 40 odd years ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

SouthamptonGull wrote:I made sure I copied it first, just in case it got lost in cyberspace :)

Never "averaged more than 2500 historically" are you kidding me? When I first started attending Plainmoor as a child, we used to regularly get gates 3 or 4 times that average. I'd be interested to see exactly what those averages are over the last 40 odd years ;-)
Maybe should have put recent history.

I my lifetime anyway it's been 2500-3000 average home attendance I'd say.

Without the new stand and even more importantly a better side there is next to nothing they can do to significantly boost regular numbers. They tried with the cheap season tickets, whilst the take up was excellent all it did was diminish the numbers of occasional fans so the numbers overall stayed the same.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

This website is usually really good going back numerous years for a lot of clubs, annoyingly it only goes back to 1989 with TUFC.

http://www.european-football-statistics ... b/toru.htm

Between 2000-3500
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Nice one Matt - a very detailed and informative account.

Interesting that the reasons for Sillsy departing the TUFC scene were brought up (again!) - and even more interesting that Bucks was actually giving thought to resigning him recently.

I must admit PB gave the same account (re Sills departure) to a few of us who gathered around him after the Fans Forum back in February. It seems pretty clear to me that Bucks expects, or more probably demands 100% commitment to the cause and if he feels he's not getting that then no matter who you are, or how big your standing in the team is, the only way you are heading is out the exit door!

As for the suggestion about segregating the away end - this is something I think we really should be looking at. I would love to see some stats on how well we (or not!) we do when we kick towards the Ellacombe end in the first half - we always seem (to me at least) to do so much better when we are attacking the "home" end in the second half. It is probably no coincidence either that the atmosphere always seems better when that happens too.

Surely the numbers of travelling away fans are such that in the main most of the away end could be given over to home fans. Whatever the arguments, for or against the idea I am certain that the noise generated out of that stand is so much better than the Pop Side. I seem to recall we did it for the Histon (Play Off game?) game a couple of years back and it seemed to work pretty well. Certainly when the New Grandstand is built I would hope that consideration might be given to making the Babbacombe end a "home" end once again. I can well remember in the "old" days running the perimeter of the ground just before kick off and again at half time, just so as to be behind the goal we were kicking towards ... long before the days of segregation and not being allowed to "transfer" between other areas of the ground.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I've been promoting the idea of us having the away end (even a share of it would be a great idea) for years now. We made it pretty clear in that Histon game you mention, Chris, that we can get a really good and noisy atmosphere generated in there, especially with Paul in there playing his drum.

I'm really happy that the Board seem to, at long last, be seriously considering the idea. I'm sure it will not only make for a better atmosphere but also help the team on to better performances.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

The board seem very keen on home supporters using the traditional "Away" end. Bucks even went as far as saying (at the forum) that if he were a Torquay player he would hate to have to play towards the Babbacombe End with only away supporters in there.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

My only worry is, if we share the away end then the Stewards may actually have to do some work rather than worrying about who is standing on the yellow lines.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

A good idea to make visiting supporters sit in the away section of the new stand, thus charging them more (as we seem to suffer at various grounds around the country) and a better atmosphere.
TUST #324
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

ferrarilover wrote:
If anyone would like the very special colour version of this (makes it a bit easier to read and follow, can't be arsed to do it on here, sorry.) please PM me an E-Mail address and I will gladly send you an electronic copy.
FYI: Attachments can be uploaded directly to posts now, at the bottom of the post page click the "upload attachment" tab :)
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

snakey
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Nico

Post by snakey »

Hi people,
I have a message from Tim Sills for you all concering his thoughts from the fans forum. in which i have just recieved, i have copied and pasted it so there is no editing by me!

Tim Sills 21 October at 21:17 Report
Hi Mate,
Feel free to use the following;

He called me up to the front of the coach half 11 at night, not the best time to speak to me!
He asked me to come in Wednesdays and i explained how important my 1 day with the children a week was. This had never been a problem in the previous 2 years when my goals were certainly doing no harm to his reputation. Northwich being a particular example!

Maybe his family values had changed, as was very publicly "rumoured", which is where the problem really lay!

And as it turned out what he wanted me to do on a Wednesday, i did do, by coming in an hour earlier every day.
My commitment to TUFC was always 100% and never waivered from that.

TUFC will always have a big place in my heart.
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

You have absolutely no reason to reitterate your commitment to our club, Tim. Every fan will be eternally grateful for your goals at a difficult time for us.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

snakey wrote:Hi people,
I have a message from Tim Sills for you all concering his thoughts from the fans forum. in which i have just recieved, i have copied and pasted it so there is no editing by me!

Tim Sills 21 October at 21:17 Report
Hi Mate,
Feel free to use the following;

He called me up to the front of the coach half 11 at night, not the best time to speak to me!
He asked me to come in Wednesdays and i explained how important my 1 day with the children a week was. This had never been a problem in the previous 2 years when my goals were certainly doing no harm to his reputation. Northwich being a particular example!

Maybe his family values had changed, as was very publicly "rumoured", which is where the problem really lay!
And as it turned out what he wanted me to do on a Wednesday, i did do, by coming in an hour earlier every day.
My commitment to TUFC was always 100% and never waivered from that.

TUFC will always have a big place in my heart.

I've never doubted tim sills' committment to TUFC ever.

if we had 11 players like him for that then no-one could, would or should complain.

pity i cant say the same about paul buckle and some of his "ideas" and traits. (see highlighted bit above) id never doubt tim sills - cant say the same for bucks.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Louis wrote: FYI: Attachments can be uploaded directly to posts now, at the bottom of the post page click the "upload attachment" tab :)
Oh Louis, as if I'd know how to do that.

Thanks for info mate, I'll knock it up when I've the time.

Matt.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."