When was your first Torquay game?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

First gane was 1-1 with Bristol Rovers in early 70's.
Was on holiday with my gran who lived in Netwon Abbot
Think Rudge got the goal and it was 20p to get in.
Had a fantastic time banging on the advertising board and questioning the ref as you do when you are 11!
Happy days!

:)
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

October 10 1979 - Torquay 2 Portsmouth 1 - hooked ever since!

Stood in the back corner of the old Pop Side, nearest the Ellacombe End with my dad and his cronies. Took about three seasons to get my first season ticket, junior member while that organisation was in place, season ticket holder until I left for London in 1993.

Irregular home visitor and away traveller since, some seasons better than others (like the Conference years!)
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Stoke_Gull »

First game was Torquay v Rochdale 25th August 2003 when I was 11 which the Gulls lost 1 - 3, can't remember who scored but I got my first Torquay shirt in the shop after the game. We'd been going down to Torquay on holiday for years and I don't know why me and my dad decided to go to a game but from then on I was hooked and I get to go to a few away games living here in Stoke, will be going to Stockport this Saturday.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

13th January 1996. Our kid had been nagging at me to take him to see a Torquay match (I'd been taking him to Hillsborough since he was 3) and they were at Doncaster Rovers. I thought once he'd seen how crap they were he'd get it out of his system. Met a bloke in ground who later became ZippyGull, and told us that they were crap. They were crap, lost 1-0 (Matt Carmichael) in front of just 1807 people, and I thought that would be that.
But about 6 weeks later we somehow ended up at Springfield Park, bumped into ZippyGull again and the rest as they say, is history!
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

hamstar wrote:First game was Torquay v Rochdale 25th August 2003 when I was 11 which the Gulls lost 1 - 3, can't remember who scored but I got my first Torquay shirt in the shop after the game. We'd been going down to Torquay on holiday for years and I don't know why me and my dad decided to go to a game but from then on I was hooked and I get to go to a few away games living here in Stoke, will be going to Stockport this Saturday.
Remember that game. Got done twice late on on the counter attack.
Allblack
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by Allblack »

October 1952, Torquay v Newport County, Tommy Northcott's last game before his transfer to Cardiff. I was 10 and a school friend said his Dad would take us to the match. We stood on the rails in front of the Cow Shed in pouring rain and I got the first of many Plainmoor soakings. Apart from the majestic Tommy, all I remember of the team is George Webber in goal, Eric Webber at centre half and Ronnie Shaw and Ernie Edds on the wings. Don't remember the result but it was the beginning of a lifelong love of Torquay United and Plainmoor. It is now five years since I was last at Plainmoor but I am hoping to be at the Burton match on December 4, two days after my 69th birthday. Given my age and the fact that I live on the other side of the world this could well be my last visit to Plainmoor, so there is excitement tinged with sadness. In all my years of exile this site has been a godsend. Lurking here has been the next best thing to being there. A big thank you to all contributors, to Mervo and all who have kept the site going over the years.
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

Think it was the 73-74 season. Definitely the first home game, Lincoln and won with two Clint Boulton goals. Thought this was terrific but my next home game was a 4-0 defeat to Colchester (never liked them after that and more so since) and being just a young lad then that defeat seemed a massive one.
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: E. O kane

Post by doogull »

my first game was a 3-3 draw at plainmoor against colchester in 1993 in august went with some school friends and was taking the wee wee a bit when we were 0-3 down for 3/4 of the game only for don o'riordon to put on adie foster to bang in a quality hatrick I was hooked there and then we scored for fun for a long time that season we had a good side too