When was your first Torquay game?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

vs Hartlepool in the late 80s. We won 1-0, but the goal was down the other end (I was in the 'family stand') so I didn't see it. Think it may have been a penalty, though.

edit; 18th March 1989, it was.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

28 August 1971 v Bristol Rovers a 1-1 draw attendance about 8500 (!) Alan Skirton for us. My Uncle took me hooked ever since !!
Andovergull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee mansell

Post by Andovergull »

Don't remember the year but it was against Newport when they were in the league.
I am sure Les Lawrence and Steve Cooper were playing. I do also remember watching Bruce rich and the squad training on the audley park all weather pitch rather than being in lessons.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

I can t remember.

It was during the late sixties FO F glory days.

Of course we were a proper Div 3 club then and England were world champions. No wonder some of us have taken time to adjust...

The match that sticks in my mind though was a spanking from Tranmere Rovers on an Easter morning. I think it was 5-2 to them. Stubbsie got one of ours but they were irresistible that day.

Gulls Mad confirms the score and tells me it was 07/04/1969.

Edit

Robin Stubbs got both goals (1 pen). Attendance was 8,022
Last edited by yellow on 19 Oct 2010, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Torquay v Chester 31-3-1975 , WON 3-0! Brilliant! :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

the first one i can remember is losing to hillingdon boro in the fa cup in 1976 i think. i'm sure i went to others before this but this is the one that sticks in my mind!! i was 10!
still keeping the faith
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

bixieupnorth wrote:the first one i can remember is losing to hillingdon boro in the fa cup in 1976 i think. i'm sure i went to others before this but this is the one that sticks in my mind!! i was 10!

I thought that was around 1979/80, if not then my memory is definitely playing tricks :O

Looks like you were right, and my memory is shot :Oops:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

SouthamptonGull wrote:
I thought that was around 1979/80, if not then my memory is definitely playing tricks :O

Looks like you were right, and my memory is shot :Oops:
Those early signs of dementure are worrying SG. ;-)

Nov 20th 1976
1-2
Scorer Willie Brown
Attendance 2,927
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

My dementia won't hold off much longer ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Wednesday 23rd July 1997

A pre-season friendly against Sheffield Wednesday, which we lost 1-0. Mark Pembridge scored the goal, although I missed it as I was looking at the floor at the time (In my defence I was 8). I still have a Mark Pembridge flik-a-ball (I have no idea how it s spelt and Google isn t helping), and I managed to get the programme off ebay.

The first goal I saw was the following game, Steve McCall in a 4-1 defeat to Coventry.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
BernardB
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BernardB »

Torquay v Huddersfield, 1955 FA Cup fourth round. Huddersfield, at the time one of the giants of the First Division, just nicked it 1-0. I was one of the nearly 22,000! I wasn't much impressed by the size of the crowd as a few weeks earlier my uncle had taken me to see Tottenham v Wolves, where the attendance was 59,000. The noise was astonishing. What I do remember about the Plainmoor game was the kindness of the packed supporters in ensuring that a small boy (me) had a decent view.
A J
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by A J »

Gulliball wrote: I still have a Mark Pembridge flik-a-ball (I have no idea how it s spelt and Google isn t helping)
You probably mean one of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-PREMIER-LEAGE-F ... 3f040aa39c :)

I have a Des Walker flickball at home. Ah this takes me back to my school days....got, got, got, got, got, Need! Good old Premier League stickers and all nature of football collections
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

I do mean them! I spent ages googling and ebaying variations of flick-a-ball/flikaball etc etc and thought I was going crazy, thanks a lot! Mark Pembridge was my champion ball, I never lost with him.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

When i was 6, in the days of Rodney Jack back in 1996.

We won, thats all I can remember.
crazyfool
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek 'The Dude'

Post by crazyfool »

That's still better than I can do!!

My first game was definitely in the 87/88 season when I was 14. Who we played and who won I can't remember.

It all started with me and a couple of school mates heading up to Plainmoor on a Saturday afternoon after lunctime in town. Off the top of my head I think the team at that time would have included players such as Kenny Allen, Tom Kelly, Jim McNichol, Paul Dobson??, Derek Dawkins, Mark Loram?? Dean Edwards??
Last edited by crazyfool on 20 Oct 2010, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.