Finally, a bit of criticism

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ReadinGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nicholson

Finally, a bit of criticism

Post by ReadinGull »

I was glad to see Bucks finally coming out with a little criticism of the team. Too often he puts over emphasis on the positives, which from reports sounds like there were some, but you don't get 4 from 24 by "playing well", "looking bright" etc without having "sorry shower of shite" thrown in at points too.

Just wish instead of silly mistakes, he'd use a more direct term liek poor decisions or just plain bad defending.

praise when praise is due, rocket up the bumole when it's not.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Football mangement to me is about fine lines,and you can bet that if the team or a player required a rocket up the bumhole during Paul Buckle's time as manager they have had just that,but done in private just the way it should be.

Critsing the team in public is about getting the balance right,its very easy for a manager to lose the trust of his players if he gets the balance wrong,if manager decides to come out after the game and say'we were not at it today'etc etc,see nothing wrong in that,however on the flip if a manager decides to defend his players in public when he knows fully well they have not played well,there nothing wrong there either,surley.

All Paul Buckle has ever done his give his players a public vote of confidence after a game where they have played badly,he as a professional manager does not need telling when things have gone wrong,the players are not that stupid either,they fully well know when they have played badly,and do not need the manager coming out in public after each game telling the world how sh#t they played.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Im with you there Forever, any manager that doesnt give his team public support after losing would soon find he has no players left!

Its safe to say that the dressing room gets plenty of expletives thrown around after a poor display, but it would never be done in public.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I broadly agree. But i do think Bucks takes it to extremes at times. The fans that are there deserve a little more credit than to hear the manager suggesting we 'played well and were unlucky' when we know full well we were dire.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Fletch »

Fonda wrote:I broadly agree. But i do think Bucks takes it to extremes at times. The fans that are there deserve a little more credit than to hear the manager suggesting we 'played well and were unlucky' when we know full well we were dire.
If you want to use Saturday as an example, 2 solid penalty shouts ignored (Ellis for exactly the same as the Bury pen) & Benners cynicaly impeded when he got round Sodje but managed to stay upright albeit off balance instead of going over, an earlier good shout when Benners sent sprawling in the box. They hit the post from a penalty and it goes in, Zebs hits the post and it bounces out. It does seem a truism that luck goes your way when you're on a good run and against you when you're not :rofl:
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Fletch wrote: If you want to use Saturday as an example, 2 solid penalty shouts ignored (Ellis for exactly the same as the Bury pen) & Benners cynicaly impeded when he got round Sodje but managed to stay upright albeit off balance instead of going over, an earlier good shout when Benners sent sprawling in the box. They hit the post from a penalty and it goes in, Zebs hits the post and it bounces out. It does seem a truism that luck goes your way when you're on a good run and against you when you're not :rofl:
I purposefully didn't use Saturday as an example. We had chances, and the performance was pretty decent (apart from defensively). But there have been many occasions that we've been awful, and Bucks description of the game has not even remotely reflected the action.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Fletch »

Look on the bright side. We could have got stuff like this :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 107108.stm
ReadinGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ReadinGull »

ha, yeah I was going to use liverpool as an example.

forever, i get what you are saying, but like Fonda says there time when you have to hold your hands up and say what everyone else can see. Indeed the art of management.

If I stand up for my team at work if they balls up, I can't deny the balls up, how can I? I can defend them as professionals, point to every other signle time thats its gone well, and better than well, but have to admit on the occaision they were rubbish that they were, well, rubbish. That shouldn't be any different for footballers and managers. Surely the real art of management is not defend regardless but be honest publicly with appraisal and motivate in private?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I do agree readingull and with fonda,yes there are times when a bit more of 'we have to defend better' or 'be more ruthless in front of goal' would not go a miss from Paul Buckle.

Like i say in my first reply there has to be a balance,and it can be easy for a manager when speaking in public about a player or his team to get it very wrong.

Roy Hodgson a very well respected manager europe wide,and former swiss international manager,tried to convince the world media that if his team had some luck to go with there performance levels so far this season they would be in the top four,the point is if some one with with Roy Hodgons c.v can chose to defend his team publicly after some very poor liverpool performance's,why not Paul Buckle.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

forevertufc wrote:I do agree readingull and with fonda,yes there are times when a bit more of 'we have to defend better' or 'be more ruthless in front of goal' would not go a miss from Paul Buckle.

Like i say in my first reply there has to be a balance,and it can be easy for a manager when speaking in public about a player or his team to get it very wrong.

Roy Hodgson a very well respected manager europe wide,and former swiss international manager,tried to convince the world media that if his team had some luck to go with there performance levels so far this season they would be in the top four,the point is if some one with with Roy Hodgons c.v can chose to defend his team publicly after some very poor liverpool performance's,why not Paul Buckle.
In fairness Dave, Roy Hodgson has been widely ridiculed for making those statements.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Fonda wrote: In fairness Dave, Roy Hodgson has been widely ridiculed for making those statements.
:lol: Very true Shane,however it did not stop from making the statement,thats the point,to me its about management style,as we know some managers chose only to pick only the positives some do not,maybe niether way is wrong.
ReadinGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ReadinGull »

Good call. i suppose as long as you are consistent....