Guy Branston Interview

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
A J
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Guy Branston Interview

Post by A J »

For anyone's interest.....taken from: http://www.finalscoreforum.net/index.ph ... stions-r13

Full Name; Guy Peter Bromley Branston
Date Of Birth; 9th January 1979
Place Of Birth; Leicester, England
Height; 6ft 1in
Current Club; Torquay United
Position; Defender

GETTING TO KNOW 'GUY BRANSTON'

Most Famous Person On Your Mobile?
Barry Fry
What's Guaranteed To Make You Mad?
Timewasters
Best Place You've Ever Been Too?
Australia
Favourite Television?
Eastbound & Down
Who Was/Is You Favourite Sportsman?
David Beckham
Football Team Do You Support?
Leicester City
Best Film Ever?
A Prophet
Who Would You Sing On Stars In Your Eyes?
Tom Jones
What's Your Signature Dish?
Peking Duck
Favourite Tipple?
Gin & Tonic - Low Calories

CAREER QUESTIONS

Guy, you started your career as a footballer with Leicester City however never made an appearance, was your dream always to play for Leicester as that is where you are born?
Yes it was, but this never happened, I was gutted but just being able to play for the clubs I have had made up for it.

Whilst with Leicester, you were sent out on loan to five different clubs - Did you find it at any time difficult to settle at any of those clubs what with only staying for a small time over the space of three years?
At the time yes I did, I didn't cope very well being away. Football helped cause it went so well for me at these clubs so you end up enjoying meeting new people and staying in the hotels.

Your first professional goal came whilst out on loan to Colchester United in 1998, what is that feeling like as a youngster who isn t long into his professional career?
It was weird, but I had been known for a few goals, so I really enjoyed it.

Going back to another one of your loan clubs, Rotherham United, you played five games with them and impressed enough for them to then offer Leicester City £50K for your services. Were you flattered by that price tag or did it add extra pressure onto you?
I didn't really think too much into it to be honest.

You went on to win back to back promotions with Rotherham United and held down your place in the side whilst playing in the Championship, becoming a fans favourite, what were times like at the club during these years?
They were great times, great memories, great fans and great games. Living the whole thing was even better.

After two loan spells in your final years at Rotherham, you joined Sheffield Wednesday for the 2004/05 season. What attracted you to Wednesday at the time?
20,000+ fans most weeks and Chris Turner, my old youth coach who was great to me as a YTS and a Professional - I really wanted him to do well. Paul Sturrock ruined my time with Wednesday. I would've loved to have stayed but couldn't turn down the money that they were offering for me to leave.

You only made eleven appearances for The Owls before being sent out on loan once again, this time to Peterborough United, your second stint with the club - How did this move come about? Were you told you weren t in the first team plans or were you after first team football?
I needed to get games under my belt because of injuries. Paul Sturrock only wanted robots that didn't talk, he couldn't cope with it if you had something to say.

From Sheffield Wednesday, you then went onto sign for Oldham Athletic ahead of the 2005/06 season. From there you then joined Peterborough on a permanent contract on the 24th July 2006, stating that you wished to be closer to home. Was there a reason you only stayed with the club for one season and was it hard when you had to leave after your reasoning for joining?
I loved my time with Oldham but I had a missus and I was being messed about with my contract at Oldham so I took alot more money to go to Peterborough and work with some great people like Barry 'Bazzer' Fry, Keith Alexander and Gary Simpson.

You then joined Notts County on a one month contract? You made one appearance and then moved on and signed on for Kettering Town with an 18 month contract signed. Is it hard to take when you sign your first contract with a Non-League side after spending so long in the Football League?
I couldn't sign for another league club that season because of a new rule that none of the clubs seemed to know about? So I had to drop into the Non-League which I was really hurt about because I've always been a League player, I'm very proud of that fact. But when I got to Kettering I had a great time agian so it made it easier to get on with. Mark Cooper, Imran Idak and the lads were some of the best people I've met in Football. The fans had a good few years.

You went on to extend your deal in December 2008 until 2010, what was the reasoning behind wanting to stay with Kettering despite the reported interest in you from Stevenage Borough?
Again because Imran Idak didn't want me to go, he payed me Football League money to stay. It was a good club with good people who all wanted to progress, I wanted that to.

On the 16th July you signed for Burton Albion, in the end you joined them on a free because you weren t registered with Kettering properly? As a player, were you gutted for Kettering because they made no money out of you despite the 10K offered from Torquay? Or are you only interested in the playing side of things?
Burton Albion are a great side. They were in the Conference and again I liked what I saw what with the ground and also the staff that were at the club. Through a two year deal, I've got back to playing in the Football League too. The contract with Kettering wasn't my fault and I couldn't think to much about it.

In nineteen appearances with Burton Albion you managed to pick up three red cards, taking your tally to eighteen red cards in your career. Do you feel you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time or is there any true reason as to why you pick up quite a few?
I've only picked up two straight reds in my career, the others have been two yellows. You get booked in Football for making a genuine tackle these days.

You then found yourself back out on loan to Torquay United towards the tail end of the 2010 season, making a total of 16 appearances. You ended up coming second in the player of season award, how does that leave yourself feeling after only playing half a season?
I did play well, but it was a little bit silly for me to come second in the player of the season award. The lads were not happy about it at all. Bothered I was. HaHa

Ahead of this current season, you signed a permanent deal with Torquay United, perhaps moving away from your home that you ve managed to stick close too during your career. Do you ever see this being a problem whilst your with Torquay?
I have lived in all sort of places so living away from 'home' isn't a problem. Four hours away is far, but that is only a few times a month that I have to do it.

Finally Guy, good luck with the rest of the season and thanks for your time.

GUY'S TEAM MATES

Best Trainer?
Lee Mansell - Always works hard
Quickest Player?
Lloyd Mackin - If only he had a brain
Slowest Player?
Scott Bevan - Always washing (OCD)
The Joker?
Elliot Benyon - He is a clown in the making, Jimmy Five Bellies (Not Gazza style)
Biggest Moaner?
Elliot Benyon - When he misses
Best Dancer?
Me - Love a good dance on a Saturday after a win
Worst Dancer?
Mark Ellis - He's the human unicorn
Worst Dress Sense?
Chris Zebroski
Most Intelligent?
Martin Gritton - The boy is a 6ft 5in genius.
And, Who s The Longest In The Shower?
Chris Zebroski - Takes a HUGE time
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Lloyd Maklin - if only he had a brain. BRILLIANT! :lol:

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

I take it Southend won't be signing him anytime soon then...
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

judging by his idiocy in the last two games, "if only he had a brain" has a touch of the kettle, black and pot about it!
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.