Joe Oastler

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Joe Oastler

Post by CP Gull »

... young QPR centre half is training with us according to .com.

According to most reports he appears to be a centre half but it seems he can also play in midfield. Given that we aren't exactly short of centre halves I wonder whether this arrangement is allowing us to have a look at him before taking him on loan - possibly as a replacement for Mark Ellis should he move on in January? It would make sense, a bit of forward planning is always good to see.

Of course we may just be doing Neil Warnock a favour - apparently we had young Josh Parker (another QPR youngster) training with us at some stage last season - and he looked very good against us in the PSF and scored a cracking goal. I see he (Parker) has just gone out on loan to Northampton for a month - a bit of a shame as I reckon he could have been good for us, although admittedly this is only based on a half hour in a PSF!

Good to see that the relationship with Warnock still appears as strong as ever.
nananana
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Micky Cave

Post by nananana »

I would imagine Ellis moving on is pretty much "Written in Stone" with the latest budget cuts! So hopefully, this guy can do a job for us there.

He might even give SNW a run for his money in midfield! :)
It's a sobering thought, but in a hundred years or less, every person that uses this site will be dead!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Ellis is strongly linked with Ipswich Town according to a good friend of mine who is a massive Ipswich fan. He was asking lots of questions about him when I saw him yesterday. Would be a good move for all if this came off as it is quite apparent we need the income and a Championship Club under the stewardship of Roy Keane could progress Ellis to the level we all hope he achieves.

Time will tell if there is anything in this but the Joe Oastler news indicates we might already be looking to fill the void this would leave.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

He's being described as a midfielder on .com and with Buckle admitting he may loan him for a month, I would imagine he will act as cover for the out-of-form Wroe and Mansell who is one yellow card away from suspension. We're certainly thin in the middle without Lathrope.

Bucks also notes: "I may have to shuffle the pack around the transfer window" so as others have mentioned, I would expect Ellis and possibly one or two more moving in January.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

tommyg wrote:He's being described as a midfielder on .com and with Buckle admitting he may loan him for a month, I would imagine he will act as cover for the out-of-form Wroe and Mansell who is one yellow card away from suspension. We're certainly thin in the middle without Lathrope.

Bucks also notes: "I may have to shuffle the pack around the transfer window" so as others have mentioned, I would expect Ellis and possibly one or two more moving in January.
The ironic (and unfortunate) thing being, other clubs will be aware of our financial woes now and will have some bargaining power. Can we expect to recieve similar fess to those being mooted in August?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

1 month emergency loan completed now on dot.com. Is this the combative midfield type a lot on here (including me) have been crying out for?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I think he can play right back aswell. (I'm only really basing this on FM, which is realistic so I'd imagine it's no different for this guy).

Versatile and I'd imagine he has a hunger for the game.

Its a shame, but as others have said, players will be going in January, Ellis, Benyon, maybe even players like Zebs.. :|
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Hmmm, ordinarily, I really don't mind signing guys, he's free and from a couple of divisions above and he might be ok, but.......

With: Zedders, Danny, Useless Nicky Wroe, EoK, Lathrope (he's only injured for a week or so), Manse and Carlisle, does this really class as an 'emgergency'?

Equally, do we really need some wholly untried midfielder who has never scored a goal in his life?

I don't wanna bash Joe or Bucks until I have just cause to do so, but, on first evidence, it just seems like this might be another of those "Oooh, he's free, we'll have him" regardless of whether we need him, or if he's any good or what we are lacking.

Come on Joe son, save me having to have to fight your corner against Brucie et al and score a hat trick tomorrow.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

In fairness I think their might have been a bit more thought gone into it than "ooh, he's free we'll have him"! I reckon there's a pretty good chance that he is very well known to Sean North as Oastler was at Pompey from the age of 9 and was only released by them when he turned 18. At the same time, North was in charge of their academy if memory serves me right - but had left before he was released by them.

A quick check on Google reveals that he (Oastler) apparently played well enough at the Premier League exit trials that are held each summer, a couple of years back, to have 13 offers from clubs - only choosing QPR over the others because they were the first to make a firm offer of a contract. He got another year at QPR in the summer - but I wouldn't be surprised if he is available for a full transfer.

He appears to be able to play as centre half, right back and centre midfield (holding type I would imagine) and so certainly is a versatile addition to what is essentially a pretty small squad. Not only that but the way Bucks is now talking suggests to me that he is fully expecting to lose one or two in January (if not before), I guess Mark Ellis is probably top of most peoples list to move on given the level of interest recently - and likewise Elliot Benyon. However, I reckon Nicky Wroe may well be one of those who moves on, not least because his contract runs out next summer and he will be over 24 - so if we want a fee for him we need to sell him soon - or get him on an extended contract.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Ok, I shall bow to your superior knowledge on this CP, but I'm not ENTIRELY convinced by the "Northy knew him when he was 6 months old" story. Nor am I particularly impressed (sight unseen) with the signing of a defender/defensive midfielder when WE CAN'T BUY A GOAL!!!

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

ferrarilover wrote:Ok, I shall bow to your superior knowledge on this CP, but I'm not ENTIRELY convinced by the "Northy knew him when he was 6 months old" story. Nor am I particularly impressed (sight unseen) with the signing of a defender/defensive midfielder when WE CAN'T BUY A GOAL!!!

Matt.
Matt

I think we (and I include Paul Buckle in that!) all want a striker but I think we'll just have to be patient for a bit longer. But if Oastler turns out to be the tough tackling, ball winning central midfielder type (rather than the centre half I thought he was) then that will also please quite a few on here who have been crying out for just such a player for quite a long time. :)
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

whack him in the reserves for a bit of practice then if he gets some goals or we get done over by injury put him in the squad, simple!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

RussianGull wrote:whack him in the reserves for a bit of practice then if he gets some goals or we get done over by injury put him in the squad, simple!
Is 'the reserves' a euphemism for something? it sounds painful.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

happytorq wrote: Is 'the reserves' a euphemism for something? it sounds painful.
Don't be daft, our lot couldn't hit a target if they tried!
wodger-of-Awabia
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Zebroski

Post by wodger-of-Awabia »

HardofHerringGull wrote:I would imagine Ellis moving on is pretty much "Written in Stone" with the latest budget cuts! So hopefully, this guy can do a job for us there.

He might even give SNW a run for his money in midfield! :)

I assume that SNW refers to: off form for at least the last 12 months, & now missing pens. N.Wroe.

If we get Oaster then N.W. could be rested & or loaned out if considered necessary.
Zebroski For Poland..........I am Brian!,& so is my wife!