The Plainmoor Roar

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

The Plainmoor Roar

Post by wivelgull »

One of the great forgotten elements in the history of supporting Torquay United is that of The Plainmoor Roar. Up until possibly the early to mid 1970s the 'Herald Express' would regularly exhort supporters to call up this interesting vocal anomaly. But, sadly no more. The Plainmoor Roar has probably been silent since 1972, when we last had a team good enough to hold its own in a higher division to that in which we now play. Ten, eleven, twelve thousand crowds were not unusual at Plainmoor in those halcyon years of the late sixties, and it was then that The Plainmoor Roar could be heard at its most exuberant. But now? Never. A few dozen youths and a drum cannot get near the sound and the atmosphere of those days. To us, long-lived and true supporters of United, the concept of a resuscitation of The Plainmoor Roar remains a dream that will never be fulfilled.
Un_hang_able
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Branston

Post by Un_hang_able »

I remember there being a roar during the Cyril Knowles era.

I always thought that the atmoshere at the evening match v's Spurs in the league cup, when The Dude banged in the 1st leg winner, was one of the very best at any footy match I have ever been to. Only about 5000 there but there was a roar that night, and we sang ALL game.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Long-lived and true supporter, hmmmmmmm............

I well remember the roar that I used to hear as a small child when my Father took me to home games but I also remember the "roar" of singing voices that drowned out the home supporters at Stevenage a couple of seasons ago, well-orchestrated by the drummer you seem to have such a problem with, wivel. I think our club is fortunate to have a hardcore of true supporters, most of whom are grateful that the drummer attends and helps to create the atmosphere sadly lacking when he isn't there ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

wivelgull wrote:One of the great forgotten elements in the history of supporting Torquay United is that of The Plainmoor Roar. Up until possibly the early to mid 1970s the 'Herald Express' would regularly exhort supporters to call up this interesting vocal anomaly. But, sadly no more. The Plainmoor Roar has probably been silent since 1972, when we last had a team good enough to hold its own in a higher division to that in which we now play. Ten, eleven, twelve thousand crowds were not unusual at Plainmoor in those halcyon years of the late sixties, and it was then that The Plainmoor Roar could be heard at its most exuberant. But now? Never. A few dozen youths and a drum cannot get near the sound and the atmosphere of those days. To us, long-lived and true supporters of United, the concept of a resuscitation of The Plainmoor Roar remains a dream that will never be fulfilled.
Wivel, I hereby accuse you of being 'A Man Called Jid, Montpelier School, Paignton' on the Herald Express site!
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

I'm sure I suggested that anybody using the "true supporter" line get taken out to the barn and shot. Twice.
Why hasn't this been implemented yet?
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

jonnyfive wrote:Wivel, I hereby accuse you of being 'A Man Called Jid, Montpelier School, Paignton' on the Herald Express site!
I grew up right opposite that place after it closed down. Massive frogs in the swimming pool.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

happytorq wrote:
I grew up right opposite that place after it closed down. Massive frogs in the swimming pool.
Gerard Depardieu? Eric Cantona? Wow....... :O
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

SouthamptonGull wrote:Long-lived and true supporter, hmmmmmmm............

I well remember the roar that I used to hear as a small child when my Father took me to home games but I also remember the "roar" of singing voices that drowned out the home supporters at Stevenage a couple of seasons ago, well-orchestrated by the drummer you seem to have such a problem with, wivel. I think our club is fortunate to have a hardcore of true supporters, most of whom are grateful that the drummer attends and helps to create the atmosphere sadly lacking when he isn't there ;-)
That day was amazing. Even Graham Westley (?) the Stevenage manager was impressed. He was trying to get his own fans to emulate the TUFC supporters, and cheer his team on. It was, most certainly, down to the Drummer that the singing and chanting went on for so long. He was brilliant. :)

I did see "Drummer" at the Swindon match. Asked him if he was going to Crewe. Sadly not. His next game will, most likely, be Gillingham away, 23rd october.
:cry:
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

wivelgull wrote:One of the great forgotten elements in the history of supporting Torquay United is that of The Plainmoor Roar. Up until possibly the early to mid 1970s the 'Herald Express' would regularly exhort supporters to call up this interesting vocal anomaly. But, sadly no more. The Plainmoor Roar has probably been silent since 1972, when we last had a team good enough to hold its own in a higher division to that in which we now play. Ten, eleven, twelve thousand crowds were not unusual at Plainmoor in those halcyon years of the late sixties, and it was then that The Plainmoor Roar could be heard at its most exuberant. But now? Never. A few dozen youths and a drum cannot get near the sound and the atmosphere of those days. To us, long-lived and true supporters of United, the concept of a resuscitation of The Plainmoor Roar remains a dream that will never be fulfilled.

Are you suggesting, Wivelgull, that because I have not been following TUFC for a million years I am not a TRUE SUPPORTER? I moved to Devon in 2004 and stated going to matches in the 2004/05 season. Since then I have rarely missed a game, home or away (including pre-season and the odd reserve match) I'm not sure what more I can do to support the club. If I had enough money I would gladly put some into the club that I, despite only supporting them for the last 5 years or so LOVE. We all have to start somewhere!
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

diamondgirl wrote: That day was amazing. Even Graham Westley (?) the Stevenage manager was impressed. He was trying to get his own fans to emulate the TUFC supporters, and cheer his team on. It was, most certainly, down to the Drummer that the singing and chanting went on for so long. He was brilliant. :)

I did see "Drummer" at the Swindon match. Asked him if he was going to Crewe. Sadly not. His next game will, most likely, be Gillingham away, 23rd october.
:cry:
I think I know who you are now, was in the car that all came and said hello when you pulled up as I walked past with the drum? Also I think you took the dog for a walk on the cricket pitch before the game?

Gillingham is the next one, however I cannot take the drum being I am going up on the train and potentially staying in the London area on my way back. We have 2 choices, either the lovely SG takes the drum for me and I meet him at the ground and he take it back with him for me, or one of the boys in the supporters coach / minibus bring their one (I think it may be Joe's?). As long as the stewards don't get all arsey about us standing up at Gillingham.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

Awayday wrote: I think I know who you are now, was in the car that all came and said hello when you pulled up as I walked past with the drum? Also I think you took the dog for a walk on the cricket pitch before the game?
Gillingham is the next one, however I cannot take the drum being I am going up on the train and potentially staying in the London area on my way back. We have 2 choices, either the lovely SG takes the drum for me and I meet him at the ground and he take it back with him for me, or one of the boys in the supporters coach / minibus bring their one (I think it may be Joe's?). As long as the stewards don't get all arsey about us standing up at Gillingham.
Correct.

Christine.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

wivelgull wrote: To us, long-lived and true supporters of United, the concept of a resuscitation of The Plainmoor Roar remains a dream that will never be fulfilled.
Wivel,

If you are a typical example of a "true supporter" of Torquay, then give me part time, disinterested supporters over you anyday of the week!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'll happily take the drum mate, if I see wivel though, he might be wearing it ;-)

Christine, you're spot on, he was mightily impressed with us that day, grab Matt and come say Hi to Paul and I, we don't bite, well he does but I'll muzzle him :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

SouthamptonGull wrote:I'll happily take the drum mate, if I see wivel though, he might be wearing it ;-)

Christine, you're spot on, he was mightily impressed with us that day, grab Matt and come say Hi to Paul and I, we don't bite, well he does but I'll muzzle him :)
Oh but Christine and the car load do say hello to me mate, and not just Swindon, it is becoming a regular thing. She knows it's not me that bites LOL
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

westbaygull wrote: Gerard Depardieu? Eric Cantona? Wow....... :O

Just read this and laughed out load while Annette is in the bathroom Jane :lol: She wondered what I was laughing at and I told her Jane is up to things on the website. She says "Hi Jane" Anyway I can remember Saturday nights under the lights in the mini stand and the old cowshed as an 8 year old and the roar was definately there then. You used to queue for ages to get in and there was regularly 7 or 8,000 at games then. Personally I think the away support, when we are on the road is better than Plainmoor for noise and atmosphere, which is a bit of a shame, but maybe it will return when we are in the championship (dreaming again or is it the mind bending substances?? :O )
Oblivion!!!!