Gulls on Picklive

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
GreenwichGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Danny Stevens

Gulls on Picklive

Post by GreenwichGull »

Hello all,

I've had an interesting Twitter conversation this morning with Picklive (@Picklivefootie), the increasingly popular live fantasy football website (if you've not heard of it click here for their FAQ).

I cheekily asked whether they'd consider including one of the League 2 playoff games in their schedule and was told that if 25 Gulls fans signed up, they'd cover the away leg of our semi final (proof here and here). It'd be fantastic to see Torquay on there and would be great exposure for the club, particularly as they rarely cover anything below the top flight, Europe and internationals.

They can count how many of us join either by people using an obviously Torquay-themed team name or selecting Gulls as your supported club in the Edit Account screen after signing up. However if you do decide to join then please post your details in here so that we can keep our own count.

Just to be absolutely clear, I don't get any kind of kickback for getting people to sign up! I had my qualms about even posting this as I'm technically encouraging people to gamble, but it is rather a lot of fun. As there's no guarantee that 25 people will join, it's probably best to discuss this here first to gauge the level of interest before signing up. Also bear in mind that unless this is a resounding success they're unlikely to cover many lower league games in future, so it's probably only worth joining if it's something you'd be interested in playing for top level matches.

Anyway, I shall say no more on the matter and leave it up to you to debate and decide.
GreenwichGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GreenwichGull »

This link explains things more concisely: http://not100percentaccurate.com/fantas ... ccurate%29
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

ADMIN - PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS CAN STAY OR NOT.

IT IS ENCOURAGING GAMBLING OF SORTS, GIVEN THAT ONE NEEDS TO SIGN UP AND DEPOSIT CASH ETC ETC. THOUGHT IT BEST TO MOVE HERE FIRST AND YOU CAN DECIDE.

TA!!

SCOTT

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Have sent him a PM letting him know what I have done.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It's ok Scott. It's not like GreenwichGull is a serial spammer :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
GreenwichGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GreenwichGull »

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt SG : )

Understand that it's a tricky issue and wouldn't want the forum getting in trouble for corrupting the innocent!

FYI Picklive have had a couple of Torquay fans sign up already, which is an encouraging start. They're really getting behind this, so would be great if this leads to them doing more lower league games in future.

Will be interesting to see how the next 10 days pan out - will keep this thread updated as I receive news...
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Where would I be able to watch this online? I can't use that site because I can't register for a gambling website from here.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
GreenwichGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GreenwichGull »

The games are both on Sky so you might be able to find a channel that carries it over there, or maybe a web stream of questionable legality will surface nearer the time. Alternatively I'll be tweeting regular updates as always, however I appreciate that's a poor substitute!
Mr_T1nker
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by Mr_T1nker »

Great, I'm already on picklive (would recommend the football ramble for anyone that listens to podcasts by the way) and so just had to change my supported team to Torquay United, so there's one more onto your tally
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i'm confused, does signing up mean that we can watch the game or just gamble on it?? dont have sky but use the p2p system regularly but not expecting great streams for something as lowly as 4th div playoffs, this would be a major boost to my chances of watching the second leg in clarity! dont fancy my chances of finding it on in sheffield city centre on a busy friday night!!
still keeping the faith
Mr_T1nker
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by Mr_T1nker »

bixieupnorth wrote:i'm confused, does signing up mean that we can watch the game or just gamble on it?? dont have sky but use the p2p system regularly but not expecting great streams for something as lowly as 4th div playoffs, this would be a major boost to my chances of watching the second leg in clarity! dont fancy my chances of finding it on in sheffield city centre on a busy friday night!!
It's just the gambling, you won't be able to watch the game on that site.
GreenwichGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GreenwichGull »

bathy has it exactly right, both about Picklive not showing the match live and about The Football Ramble being awesome :)

Thanks for changing your supported club, although I have a horrible feeling they won't count it as you're not a 'new' member. If I get close to 25 I fully intend to argue the toss though!
GreenwichGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GreenwichGull »

We've had 4 Gulls fans sign up in the first 24 hours, which is a fantastic start! We have 9 more days to get to magic 25...

Please spread the word if you know of anyone else who might be interested. I'll check this thread regularly so post here or give me a shout on Twitter if you have any questions.
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by tommygull »

Are you sure you don't work for picklive?
:( Tommy :)
GreenwichGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GreenwichGull »

Absolutely - am just the excitable sort. Hopefully my heavily-caveated initial post will absolve me of any conflict of interest. Besides, I'm sure they'd start a bit higher up the tree than us if they had decided to embark on a shameful guerilla marketing strategy.