Playing budget cut confirmed...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
loyalgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Playing budget cut confirmed...

Post by loyalgull »

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/Previ ... 85,00.html

Shame, but not the end of the world. Completely understand the decision and Bucks has taken it well, it seems. The most promising thing is that things should improve significantly, finance wise, next season.

The worry is when we get a couple more injuries. With no additions possible and players like Lathrope out for a couple of weeks and Mansell 1 booking away from suspension, we suddenly look light. Hopefully we can dip into the loan market at some point?

What I really dread is selling our assets, Zebs, Benyon, O'Kane, Ellis etc simply because an offer is there.

Must admit to feeling gutted, but I have faith in the squad and I am sure we can all pull together and consolidate this season.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

soo what about possible loan signings?? :?
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Does this rule out loanee's?

The club turned down a bid for Ellis and benyon in the summer so it looks like they will hold out for the right price.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Yes it will rule out loanees. Loanees cost money
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

usagullmichigan wrote:Yes it will rule out loanees. Loanees cost money
that is us up sh*t street then if we loose 2 or 3 players to injuries. :rofl:
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

I think we will see Eliis and Benyon leave in the winter and cheaper young or loanees come in to help balance the books. At the end of the 2500 coming through the gates is not good enough but that is down to the club itself and its pee poor promoting of the club.
A J
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by A J »

usagullmichigan wrote:that is us up sh*t street then if we loose 2 or 3 players to injuries
Palmer, Yeoman, Halpin....thrown into the deep end?

It is a bit disappointing after earlier in the season sitting on top. To push towards the play-offs I think we need a striker and a central midfielder, and now with our mini-slump, its not the greatest of news. But what would we rather? A soild outfit at League Two which keeps buiiding or the Club to boom and bust like so many others on low attendances....Chester, Halifax, Scarborough, etc.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Two or three injuries and we will be completely bolloxed - if we get two or three players or injured or our assets get sold this season is going to be another relegation battle. Its all very well having to pay Colin Lee a substantial wad of money but this news hardly makes me want to fork out over fifty quid a time to get to home games. The board have cut down and so have I and I won't be attending too many more games either.
It just ain't worth the money.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

brucie wrote:Two or three injuries and we will be completely bolloxed - if we get two or three players or injured or our assets get sold this season is going to be another relegation battle. Its all very well having to pay Colin Lee a substantial wad of money but this news hardly makes me want to fork out over fifty quid a time to get to home games. The board have cut down and so have I and I won't be attending too many more games either.
What would you expect them to do? Colin Lee is due a pay-off and the money has to come from somewhere? It doesn't grow on trees.

And the clubs finances will hardly be helped if the 'regulars' start deserting too. It'd be a downward spiral.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
TUFCfan
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by TUFCfan »

usagullmichigan wrote:Yes it will rule out loanees. Loanees cost money
We would still be able to loan players but only youngsters, most likely from the Premier League/Championship, whose parent clubs are prepared/can afford to pay their wages in exchange for them getting first team experience.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

brucie wrote:Two or three injuries and we will be completely bolloxed - if we get two or three players or injured or our assets get sold this season is going to be another relegation battle. Its all very well having to pay Colin Lee a substantial wad of money but this news hardly makes me want to fork out over fifty quid a time to get to home games. The board have cut down and so have I and I won't be attending too many more games either.
This is actually a very relevant post with regard to this subject.

Here in lies the problem. The club desperately need more people through the gate, the fans need that incentive to come and support the club and pay the money. Struggling, bad teams in most cases don't get good support. Winning teams do. That's a simple fact, people will pay the money to watch a good side that is trying to progress forward, one that seemingly 'lacks ambition' won't get that support. It's finding that fine line between showing the ambitious intent and being reckless with your finances. If you don't have a 'sugar daddy' (and we don't) you have to be extra prudent with the coffers at the minute. There are tons of clubs out there on the edge of a cliff, one or two have very nearly gone bankrupt in the last year chasing dreams. Toruay as a club while the average gates is around 2500 can't have any true ambitions of being a regular top 7 club or being a sustainable League 1 club. We are where we are and barring a bit of a miracle in terms of finding some rough diamond players on the cheap and having a season out of the blue (like Dag and Red) that's realistically where we'll stay. That's not a bad thing but it's not going to suddenly entice another 1000 people to come flooding through the turnstiles.

But for me, the club are being open and honest in their statement and we can't ask for too much more. I'd have more of a problem if they did what a club close to me keep doing, feeding their fans horseshit 'trying to get promotion' style stories whilst selling any player that has a price on his head.

As for the if we lose 2 or 3 players we're screwed, true but who in this division isn't in that boat? One or two maybe more suitably capable of dealing with that scenario but any clubs similar to us won't be.

It's a tough one for PB and I imagine the board to have to make this cut as I feel we could really do with at least 1 more player to give the current crop a boost especially up front. But if we can't do it we can't do it. The players that are here currently won the first 4 matches of the season and looked a decent side, I think PB is trying to be a bit too clever at the minute and we panicked after Southend. Made change for the sake of change. Whilst we may not have been brilliant at Southend the two goals were from stupid amount of yards out. Can't really legislate for that. It didn't need this almost sudden new way of playing (which doesn't suit us one iota) nor players being brought into the lineup who in my opinion didn't have a right to be in it at that time.

Digressing now, back to basics with regards to the team. I would strongly recommend those that can support the club regularly do it because without them then we would be in a truly dire situation. Despite these cuts we aren't in that yet. We've got more than enough about us to have a reasonable season and be around mid table. That would be progression after last year where we spent the majority of the season around the bottom end.

If we haven't got the cash then that's the only way we can do it, small steps each season.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Fonda - Up until this season I have always rocked up win or lose, but made a decision at the end of last season that I would cut down on matches i attend - it was hard missing the first game of the season, but I have sort of broken the habit of feeling that I need to attend every game.
Yes I miss it but so far have just seen the Bradford and Aldershot games.
What are we upposed to do? - I don't know but I did not employ Colin Lee and neither did I sanction the signing of rubbish like Mo Camara (and pay him loads in the process, including the cost of plane trips to his home in Leeds).
Ok we may have to pour more money into Lee's pockets but that doesn't mean I should spend my time travelling to watch a sub standard team.
I think its actually a bid odd that Buckle announces the budget cut by the way - I mean perhaps that would be better coming from the chairman but as he is completely faceless is that hardly suprising.
As we are so short of money - you might think we would sign a player who was fit to play and not one that isn't (Senda).
This is what I don't get about Buckle anyway - as soon as we go on a losing run the excuses start - I mean its not the first time he has trotted this one out (budget).
Or after the Southend defeat - it was the players were "tired" - yet he chose to play the first team in a meaningless JPT game days befiore. Same old Same old.
Perhaps if we are not able to make any signings we don't really need to employ John Milton - there is a saving to start with.
Mind you isn't the manager staying at Miltons house? - jobs for the boys maybe?
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Senda is 'fit'. He just lacks full match sharpness. People have been crying out for some competition in the right-back slot for 18 months, and now we have it. Would you rather we'd brought in someone who was 'match fit' but not good enough to secure a position somewhere else. Or take the opportunity of signing a player who, when at his best, is protentially too good for this League? The club obviously thought it wasn't a gamble and made sense. So long as he's proven to be completely injury free, i'm quite happy to wait a week or two until he's 100% match sharp.

As for Camara and the other farcical situations that developed over the course of last season, it seems as though that was not the fault of anyone currently at the club. We can't keep obsessing about bad decisions made in the past, by people who have moved on.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Very valid point re Senda. the lad hasn't played much football recently but there is no doubting his pedigree and unlike Camara he's 29 not 39.

Bit of patience required with him and the likes of Macklin and Billy Kee. 19 year old kids that haven't played 10-15 first team games yet. It took time to develop Carayol, Ellis, Benyon, Stevens. Those 3 still here are still a work in progress so the new yonugsters Kee, O Kane, Macklin and LRT to name a few also need that patience.

Senda I am certain will prove a decent signing. I'd like him to have a run of games in the side. whilst Robbo is a solid enough defender we really lack the overlapping forward thinking full back.
wodger-of-Awabia
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Zebroski

Post by wodger-of-Awabia »

So it's Buckle off to a club with more funds then, you could not blame him, & he will more than likely get a wage rise at the same time
Zebroski For Poland..........I am Brian!,& so is my wife!