Player of the season!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Mine would be...

Branston
Zebs
Bevan (I know he missed a few games recently, but he has kept us in games where others have let 2-0 leads slip (I am not bitter about Cheltenham away still))
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Zebroski
Branston
Mansell
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

I agree with forevertufc that Manse and Nicho are underrated and deserve praise, so here we go:

Admittedly he's one of the few that have been here the whole time, but I would say Nicho has been our best/most consistent player of the last 3 years. While he lacks in size and speed he's rarely caught out because of it (admittedly helped by Guy covering when needed), and he's a massive threat from set pieces. I remember being dumbfounded when he was out of the team for a period last season and I'd probably put him in a top three of players I would least like us to sell as he's nigh on irreplaceable. That's no slight on Rowe-Turner, I've liked what I've seen of him and am very pleased with the options we have for this position, but he's a different type of player.

Mansell is Mr Torquay. He cares passionately, leaves everything on the pitch, and would run through a wall for the team. He was right by the away fans when we lost at Chesterfield earlier in the season and he was easily as disappointed as any of us. I've noticed his positioning as a fullback improve recently, and as a converted midfielder his distribution from the back is usually better than most right backs, giving us a good platform from which to attack. While he does occassionally seem to berate people when they've done nothing wrong it seems to get the team going and is better than having a silent captain.

Quite a few people here praising Bevs too which is good to see. Don't think I've seen enough matches to appreciate his long term contribution, but he does make some vital saves, and against Bradford (and to a lesser extent Northampton) his handling and kicking seemed more confident. To be honest, goalkeeper is probably the one position I think we lack real quality in the squad, but if Bevs carries on current form for the rest of the season I may have to revise that opinion.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

ferrarilover wrote:Eerm, I might well be wrong, but I thought we were choosing our POTS this year based on the MOTM stats provided by Gulli?

If not, then so be it, but that would seem a good way of doing it.

Matt.
Spot on Matt, you are not wrong.

As for the official TUFC player of the season (the whole season) voted by fans who go through the turnstiles, then that is a different matter.

For me, when I sign the slip on the Popside, it will be Guy Branston. He almost edged it last season.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Mansell
Zebs
Bevan.

Can't state Mansells case enough. I think we forget to quickly how long he's been here and often he hasn't been injured or suspended.
His prescence has been inspirational to all those around him this and previous seasons.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

If anyone does want to take any guidance from the MOTM threads, then it's looking pretty likely to be a Branston, Zebroski, Mansell finish, with the first two a little well ahead of Manse. Zebroski needs to heavily outscore Branston in the last five games to get past him - not impossible but looking unlikely at the moment.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
GirlOnATerrace
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by GirlOnATerrace »

Hmm...I can't choose. Having second thoughts now.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Mansell
Zebs
Bevan.

Can't state Mansells case enough. I think we forget to quickly how long he's been here and often he hasn't been injured or suspended.
His prescence has been inspirational to all those around him this and previous seasons.
I agree with you Dave about Mansell. He's been awesome since being made Cap'n. :clap:

Mansell has won POTS in the past and for me the decision to vote for the guy called Guy ahead of Mansell has been the width of a single sheet of A4 paper.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

So that s 210mm between them then?

A very precise analysis Troj....
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

yellow wrote:So that s 210mm between them then?

A very precise analysis Troj....
From the viewpoint of my angle (elevation, not plan), the width is the same regardless of length.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Pissed again?
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Oh, and who's ever heard of a close run thing ( with reference to a sheet of paper), ever being referred to in anything other than "width".

Some (few, we rotating few) view angles in motion and our constant motion references catch the stationary pedant off guard every time. :clap:

Pedants, eh ?
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Captain for me, stepped up and showed Nicky Wroe what its all about. He's mr dependable, mr versatile and he's my player of the season.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

1. Guy Branston
2. Chris Zebrowski
3. Lee Mansell
(4) Kevin Nicholson

I voted for Guy Branston last season even though he only arrived right at the end of January. He galvanised the defence, added some toughness, and provided excellent on the pitch coaching to the younger players. There may be more talented footballers in the team but for overall contribution over the course of the season I am going for Pickler again.

When he arrived at the club we were in 20th position and that only on goal difference from the two clubs below us (Cheltenham and Lincoln). A stronger defence gradually increased confidence through the rest of the team resulting in an unbeaten April and May and a respectable mid-table finish comfortably clear of the relegation zone which had haunted us throughout the season. This season 5th in the table and who knows whether it will be automatic promotion, the play-offs, or just missing out? Whatever happens it has been a good season.

Whilst others have of course been involved and we have been an evolving team during that time I would credit Guy Branston with being the biggest single influence in moving from a desperate relegation fight on his arrival to very strong promotion contenders now. :scarf:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I pretty much agree with all of that, stefano.

The only thing I would add is the influence of Craig Stanley, surely a runaway winner if he'd been here longer?
Dave