Clutching at straws...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Clutching at straws...

Post by Mo Gull »

But I notice that of our last 11 games, we're only playing 1 team in the top 7 and two teams in the top 10. Surely, there's an argument that every other game is a potential win? Not that we will win them all, but you'd hope for potentially picking points up in most.

I guess the downside to this is that if we lose then we're giving points to teams around us. But, then again, if we lost we're buggered anyway.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Are there any straws left to clutch ? Trouble is Mo we cant beat teams in the bottom 7, one win so far
v Barrow ? At least there is a chance of a goal now with Williams and Romain but the defence is going
backwards, what chance do you have when you have conceded 3 in each of the last two home games
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

We're going to win all 11 remaining games and comfortably stay up.............
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

desperado wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 17:05 Are there any straws left to clutch ? Trouble is Mo we cant beat teams in the bottom 7, one win so far
v Barrow ? At least there is a chance of a goal now with Williams and Romain but the defence is going
backwards, what chance do you have when you have conceded 3 in each of the last two home games
And people maintain Gowling is rubbish...
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

If we'd taken some points from Dagenham and/or Sutton then yes we'd be in with an outside shout. The fact we took 0/6 has eliminated those chances, which is odds against at the least.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

With this bunch of idiots, if there was a “clutching at straws contest” I’m pretty sure we would draw the short straw!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

I think all the available straws are short ones !! :'( :'(
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

It's not over till the fat lady sings and I can't hear merse just yet hahaha
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I can't sing for toffee! :P
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 17:49 And people maintain Gowling is rubbish...
I read a three forums thoroughly daily, and I don't recall anyone saying he's rubbish.

Unreliable, rarely available and therefore fairly useless to the cause, and therefore a huge waste of money and resource, yes. Rubbish, no.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 17:49 And people maintain Gowling is rubbish...
I really don't think people are maintaining that Gowling is rubbish .
The fact is that if you employ somebody to do a job you are quite entitled to expect them to turn up & do the job you are paying them for.
Clearly Josh Gowling hasn't been available for a large chunk of the playing season so is it not unexpected that people are questioning if he is fit for purpose.
What is not in question as far as I'm concerned is the teams record when he's played but it just hasn't been regular enough for me & a lot of others.
The thing is he was injured when he was offered a 2 year deal, just saying !
So for me he's not rubbish.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

These 2 year deals may not be valid if we get relegated

Or should I say I hope they are not

Not good enough , if only good enough for relegation this season , are there good enough to fight for promotion from league below ??

Players don't have sentiment , the local Netflix people from the USA , i know when they interviewed Paul Dobson for it , he stated he was fighting for his contract as it would be cancelled if we got relegated in 1987.
These players are paid professionals. They dont seem to have that urgentcy they should have.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Here is my straw to clutch at:-

Put Owers etc etc out of the door- gardening leave if contractually required.

Put Gowling in charge till the end of the season. If he can't play we may as well give him a job to do. It's a massive risk but can we really see the present duo motivating eight wins out of eleven.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

My idea is growing on me at least.

Last year we survived because Nicholson managed to persuade players and equally crowd that he was hard done by and that developed a siege mentality.

Gowling is a bright lad. He has got a good degree in one of the ology's . When he is on the pitch he seems to convince his team mates and we got noticeably better results. Give him a crack at management. He will either fail and we have lost nothing- do well but just fail, when he deserves a crack next year, or ( massive odds agin I know) succeed when he is of course very marketable. 0wers hasn't won over the crowd and I don't see him being the leader of anybody's 'yellow army' . The team and him failed against Dagenham and failed to turn up then when there was all to play for with a decent crowd in. The poor bloke can't seem to inspire.

This wouldn't cost money but might just give us a better chance.

We clearly have to gamble and at least this one is not unaffordable.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Dazza wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 21:50 Here is my straw to clutch at:-

Put Owers etc etc out of the door- gardening leave if contractually required.

Put Gowling in charge till the end of the season. If he can't play we may as well give him a job to do. It's a massive risk but can we really see the present duo motivating eight wins out of eleven.
Does he have any coaching experience? We’re a shambles as it is. Why enter laughing stock territory, Daz? Just get someone secured to start the squad building for next season underway as soon as possible. Am hoping it’s neither Owers or Gowling who ultimately are given that role, but feel reasonably resigned to it being Owers.