League 2: Aldershot Town vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Just got back, no complaints with the result, we were very poor today.

We got the basics wrong tonight, every time we had the ball, we lost it due to poor passing. Aldershot weren't great themselves, but if you were a neutral, you would have said that Aldershot were the team fighting for the play-off spot.

The goal, I thought Potter could have closed down the angle from the cross, but maybe I'm just being pitty.

Decent atmosphere in the first half from both sets of fans, stood next to a few fellow dotnetters, but overall a pretty poor evening.

Stevens and Zebs I thought were poor. Kee gave us a bit more attacking momentum when he came on and we were unlucky not to have a penalty when Branston was clearly pulled to the ground, but nothing given from the ref, who I thought was ok, not great but one of the better refs we'll have this season.

Can't understand why Bucks would bring on Ellis when we should be looking to attack, maybe to try and balance the defence?, I'm not sure.

Could have done with the points as we've got two tough matches next. Still no complaints from me, we got what we deserved tonight, and that was nothing.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

The Branston penalty shout was massively optimistic. He looked for it, was a feeble attempt and never a penalty in a million years. I had a pretty good view of it.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Jeff wrote:The Branston penalty shout was massively optimistic. He looked for it, was a feeble attempt and never a penalty in a million years. I had a pretty good view of it.
From where I was standing (near the back of the stand) it looked like he was tugged down. He's not the type of player who goes down easily without a valid reason. Maybe we'll get a better look when the highlights come out on Thursday.

Still could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there was some shirt pulling. Either way though, we didn't deserve to win tonight.

Forgot to add in my report, credit to the 306 Torquay fans there tonight. Great turnout on a Tuesday night with a Champions League match on the telly.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Desperately poor game between two pretty ordinary sides. aldershot were slightly better 2nd half and gave Torquay a lesson in how to close a game out which i hope our players took note of.

The first half was as forgettable a half as I have ever seen. Yes we did try and pass the ball but whats the point if it's at the feet of Robertson to BRanston to Nicholson to Branston to Mansell to long ball to headed away and back to Robertson again. We created nothing.

Give away the most simplest of goals and we never showed the sort of quality needed to break down any team in this league. Bucks options were limited, he tried to change it but our bench is full of defenders or defensive minded players. All of our attacking players were off colour, their keeper hasn't had to get his kit dirty and Aldershot (not a very good side) won't keep an easier clean sheet all season.

Not a great way to spend ones birthday! Really disappointed, it's one of those games that's popped up again (like cheltenham) where we had a serious chance of putting pressure on the top 7 and whenever that door opens, we never walk through it. We lack ruthlessness in both boxes and we lack that bit of mental toughness, may be because apart from one or two our team is a young one but its so disapointing. We should have won at Morecambe and Cheltenham, and we should have been strong enough and good enough to say ok we've been crap tonight but we'll take the 0-0 draw. Because it was a 0-0 type of game, neither side created anything of note. Yet we lose the game.

It's that lack of real cutting edge in both boxes that is going to mean we end up short this season, unless the board can take a calculated gamble and allow Bucks to add another 2 or 3 players. We really are short of attacking changes and we still need a full back.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

forevertufc wrote:Is Paul Buckle just trying to be to tacticly clever?

Are we just not good enough to go up?
No and Yes

Kee hasn't been fully fit so he brings in matchwinner Stevens, unfortunately Kee is needed at half time because we've done nothing.

We are then chasing the game so Halpin as our only other 'attacking' sub comes on, and he wants Mansell to play midfield.

Again his hands are tied, what we've got doesn't have enough options which is why you keep hearing Bucks say he needs more players if we're going to challenge the top 7, because as we stand we're not good enough.

He wasn't trying to be tactically clever, he was trying to get as many of our attacking players on the pitch as possible as we chase the game. Nothing worked tonight we were just crap.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Stevens is an impact Sub. He gets firgured out quickly when he starts. Potter's decent he organises the defence abit better than Bevan but does seem to be abit poor at crosses. I prefer Bevan...Just.

As for the game cant disagree with whats been said we were woeful. From one of our best performances of the season to one of the worst. I cant recall us having a shot on target the entire game. Personally thought we should of had a penalty from the free kick when one of our players (didnt catch who) was hurled to the ground before we'd even took the free kick!

Dont know what was with us tonight we seemed afraid to shoot and always took one too many touches which always resulted in Aldershot re grouping and clearing any danger with relative ease. Was a poor game between two poor sides on the night in all honesty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Zzzzzzzzz.

That was, without doubt, the most anonymous football match I have ever seen. They had one shot on target, we had one shot on target, their's went in, our's did not. That was it. In 90 minutes, that really was it.

It was so bad, that's all I have to say about it.

Matt.

Edit: I will just say that, having seen the Shots board, they are in trouble. They were worse than Stockport and the majority of their fans seem to think they had a decent second half. I'm not sure how they could have been any worse. If that's a decent performance ATFC, you're going down.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

It's hard to argue with much of yellowsmiffy's summary and I agree and I imagine Buckle will agree with the questions posed at the bottom.

That's a major problem, we do still have a chance of the playoffs but if you asked Buckle for his best team or 10 fans for the best team I don't think anyone would know it, you'd have all different answers.

What is our best formation?
Whose our best keeper?
whose our best option at right back?
Who should play wide?
who should be the main centre forward?

Because to be honest on last nights evidence, i don't think the management or players know these answers. Our 3 forwards interchange all the time which isn't neccesarily a bad thing until you get a brilliant ball into the box and no one is actually within 10 yards of it as they've all drifted wide.

This is a problem, 35 games in or whatever we should all be able to name the side. It's no coincidence last season's brilliant run happened when the same team was picked every week, I don't blame Bucks for this but I feel he needs to pick a system stick with it and if he wants to play this almost 4-3-3 then he needs more players, because ours I'm not sure really suit it in a few key areas.

Aldershot were better second half, they got the early goal, defended (when they had too which wasn't often) well and I felt they closed the game out very well. Something we on the other hand are totally incapable of. They broke away, they got it in the corner, forced a few corners and ran the clock down.
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

Thats three midweek games on the trot now where we have started well for the first 30mins or so and then started to get sloppy with defending and passing and the second halves have been mainly the opposition on top. Rotherham played well and created a few chances for themselves but Cheltenham and Aldershot were very ordinary and we invited trouble.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

It's not often I come away from a game disappointed, but that is truely 90 minutes of my life I am never going to get back.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

yellowsmiffy wrote: Until the whistle is blown mate, the ball isn't in play and you can't get a penalty for a foul which is inside the box. He could have booked the player or sent him off, but a penalty can only be given when the ball is in play.

Agree about Stevens though. Definitely an impact sub, and a good one IMO.
I only mention that as I (and a few near me) thought the whistle had been blown when he was hurled to the ground..Probably wrong though and more out of hope than anything else at the time!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I didn't enjoy listening to the game last night and on the final whistle I was so tired I went straight to bed.

Aye, just tired, and not the usual pissed up and tired. ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"