Torquay United v Dagenham and Redbridge - Matchday thread - 17/02/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

A couple more points on the game. Not totally convinced by Balatoni yet, I think he needs to sharpen up,
looks a bit off the pace at times, not very good in the air either. Thought the new guy did ok. McGinty was back
to hoofing yesterday after the previous few games when he was looking to pass the ball more, or at least play the
ball forward with a target in mind. Also I dont get this watering the pitch at half time, I know why they do it but
it only suits the opposition. Dagenham were team who were zipping it around on the grass, so it suited the sharper
quicker team . How does it benefit us when we just hoof it
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Same old same old, either can't do or won't do the absolute basics - ball control, passing, playing to feet, movement, teamwork. Full-time pros producing hopeful Sunday League stuff.
And yet most opposition teams we have seen show how easy it is to control a game by doing those basics; when on earth will we learn????
As for formation, once we had a wide player - a sub of course - we actually looked dangerous, and even had as many as 6 players in one attack instead of the usual one max two in the opposition penalty area.
How does our coach possibly expect us to score without support? In a must-win scenario..... pathetic.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Wrong starting lineup = wrong result!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Mellow Yellow's yesterday's after-match summary was spot on. Don't blame the players (even though some of the basics like passing to a team mate were sadly lacking). We were out manouvred by the experienced John Still who played five across the misfield. This blocked our attacking full backs and left us over-run in midfield. I was also going to add the point that we played too narrow, but PL21 beat me to it. It wasn't until Jake Gosling came on that we played with a bit of width. When the Daggers attacked, they had five or six players in or on the edge of the box. As PL21 pointed out, on the rare occasions we attacked, we had two players in the area and maybe Luke Young just outside. It almost seemed as if they had an extra player on the pitch. One final thought - oh that Dan Sparks was still at Plainmoor!
Essexguy

Post by Essexguy »

I agree with most of the comments on here, although I am very surprised how we played yesterday.
For the past 8 or 9 matches, we have had no passion or tactics, as if the players didn't want to play.
Since a few players have left due to financial troubles, last week (we lost 2.0 to alders hot) and this week, the players have been playing for the shirt... Just wondered if there was a player in the dressing room causing problems, who has now moved on.
By the way, our coach broke down at Membury services, and another coach had to be driven up from Romford... Got home at 2.30am
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

We have to be lucky as a team and as fans to still have Luke Young. He seems to always put in the effort. Going to be ashame to see him go to another team when we get relagated.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Whilst we were enduring a torrid afternoon at Plainmoor, Wivel's Whitby Town were beating Nantwich Town 2 - 1 to move towards mid-table in the Evostik North. Up the Seasiders !! Wivel - what has happened to the Jarrow Roofing lad who was at Plainmoor for a short time? I haven't noticed his name on the score sheet ...... but that could well be because I've forgotten what he was called!
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Must win game tomorrow. We need Wrexham, Flyde, Hartlepool, Orient, Gatehead to also give us a help in hand.

1st things first Must win game
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Must win tomorrow? How many times have we heard that this season. I’m afraid we have passed that now.
Lucy
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 20:16 Must win game tomorrow. We need Wrexham, Flyde, Hartlepool, Orient, Gatehead to also give us a help in hand.

1st things first Must win game
I'm afraid that ship sailed weeks & weeks ago, never mind, Harrops remit to Owers is nearly bearing fruit, so its not all bad at Osborne towers !