Maidenhead v Torquayunited 10/2/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

merse btpir wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 09:24
Were you there? The differing management style was all important yesterday......

United were physically and mentally better conditioned than they ever used to be under Nicholson and Simon Davey; the key was the quicker thinking times and willingness to switch the ball rapidly under pressure from the off. Not playing in a straight lined 4-4-2 as we used to do; nor a flat back four playing right under the keeper's nose but a nice 3-5-2 giving width and numbers in midfield; plenty of room for the keeper to command his box and exerting the pressure using the wing backs pushing forward at every opportunity.

The side looked properly prepared (they had trained on a such pitch and in similar conditions in the week), pro-active and positive and professionally managed from the technical area with Owers pulling the strings and Kuhl standing back and taking in the overall picture. This was like Ebbsfleet and Sutton and what a difference!

My comment about the former management is therefore relevant and far from 'not eing over it'.
I was at the game yesterday. For 60 minutes we were very good and should have been out of sight. I thought we were pretty ordinary for the last half hour or so and the Maidenhead goal was no surprise when it came. For the 10 - 15 minutes after they scored I thought we were pretty poor to be honest. We looked pretty dead on our feet and tired. Aimless clearances were not sticking up front and I feared that we would concede another. Dorel was called upon several times during this period and was solid - coupled with the fact that Maidenhead lacked that final ball. We found our composure again and came back into it and thankfully converted one of our chances. We then saw the game out with one or two scares but largely untroubled.

I am pretty neutral on the Nicholson / Owers debate. We should have either sacked Nicho at the end of last season or given him at least 10 to 15 games this season to fall on his own sword. Similarly, I want Owers to do well, but think we have been pretty clueless for much of his management - I’d respectfully suggest I have seen more games than you during his management. I am puzzled, but not surprised that you use this victory, along with any other mud that you scrape of your shoe to throw an insult at Nicholson. You are highly selective, bordering on disingenuous in your analysis and and it detracts from the rest of what you post. This is Owers team - as it was when we were so spineless against Wrexham or Bromley recently. I used to be a bit like you when watching football - I let my bias colour my view and thought Jackie Gallagher was the best player ever. I suppose I had an excuse that I was 9 years old. I moved on. We could have quite easily drawn or lost yesterday and football at this level is decided by such fine margins and often has little to do with the decisions of the manager. To use it as a stick to beat Nicholson and demonstrate what a great job Owers is doing is blinkered in the extreme.

Nicho kept us up in very trying circumstances whilst driving the bus and visiting hospitals. If we stay up - and I doubt we will, but you never know, Owers will have done a fantastic job. If we go down Owers (on the pitch at least) will be to blame and should not be retained. Why you still feel the need to bang on about a manager who left in August is beyond me. You’ll make yourself ill.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Enzo wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 09:57 I was at the game yesterday. For 60 minutes we were very good and should have been out of sight. I thought we were pretty ordinary for the last half hour or so and the Maidenhead goal was no surprise when it came. For the 10 - 15 minutes after they scored I thought we were pretty poor to be honest. We looked pretty dead on our feet and tired. Aimless clearances were not sticking up front and I feared that we would concede another. Dorel was called upon several times during this period and was solid - coupled with the fact that Maidenhead lacked that final ball. We found our composure again and came back into it and thankfully converted one of our chances. We then saw the game out with one or two scares but largely untroubled.

I am pretty neutral on the Nicholson / Owers debate. We should have either sacked Nicho at the end of last season or given him at least 10 to 15 games this season to fall on his own sword. Similarly, I want Owers to do well, but think we have been pretty clueless for much of his management - I’d respectfully suggest I have seen more games than you during his management. I am puzzled, but not surprised that you use this victory, along with any other mud that you scrape of your shoe to throw an insult at Nicholson. You are highly selective, bordering on disingenuous in your analysis and and it detracts from the rest of what you post. This is Owers team - as it was when we were so spineless against Wrexham or Bromley recently. I used to be a bit like you when watching football - I let my bias colour my view and thought Jackie Gallagher was the best player ever. I suppose I had an excuse that I was 9 years old. I moved on. We could have quite easily drawn or lost yesterday and football at this level is decided by such fine margins and often has little to do with the decisions of the manager. To use it as a stick to beat Nicholson and demonstrate what a great job Owers is doing is blinkered in the extreme.

Nicho kept us up in very trying circumstances whilst driving the bus and visiting hospitals. If we stay up - and I doubt we will, but you never know, Owers will have done a fantastic job. If we go down Owers (on the pitch at least) will be to blame and should not be retained. Why you still feel the need to bang on about a manager who left in August is beyond me. You’ll make yourself ill.
:goodpost:

Same here, completely neutral on Nicho / Owers.
TUST MEMBER
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Enzo wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 09:57Nicho kept us up in very trying circumstances whilst driving the bus and visiting hospitals.
I'd rather have a manager who drives to Stockport to prepare for the opposition thankyou ~ no points to be gained in Torbay Hospital!
Paignton boy

Post by Paignton boy »

My post re Nicho was said as it is about time we looked forward and not back. I think GO and MK are doing a good, professional job and making comparisons to previous managers etc is now irrelevant as a fair amount of time has now lapsed and they have now got their own players ( with a few exceptions) in place.
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

Trojan 67 wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 16:19 He played in a football match? :}
He might be injury prone but he is a key figure in our team and results have shown that we need him.
We are a much better team when he is playing and we have to hope that he manages to stay fit for rest of season.
Goose9
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Goose9 »

Gowling's injury was very unfortunate. He landed awkwardly on his ankle after being pushed in the air, could've happened to anyone and looked very painful.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 06:45 You and Merse both need to wake up. He didn't "luck" into anything after his appointment.

As for the worst squad ever assembled? Nobody, and I mean NOBODY was complaining about the quality of the squad before the season started. How many players has Owers signed that have proved to be duds?

You worms need to give the man credit for performing miracles while being forced to offer £100/week salaries to youngsters with many other 0's in their thoughts. I'm amazed he managed to successfully complete his remit which was to keep us in this League. Owers has been blessed with the means to get us promoted......................
:goodpost: :goodpost:
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 06:46 Give it time, he's made the last 3 at a club above us in the table ;-)

Thats amazing insider knowledge considering you stated you were NOT friends with Nico :rofl:
Tust member 191
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I don't get your point. It didn't come from him but is every bit as reliable as if it did...............
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 06:45 You and Merse both need to wake up. He didn't "luck" into anything after his appointment.

As for the worst squad ever assembled? Nobody, and I mean NOBODY was complaining about the quality of the squad before the season started. How many players has Owers signed that have proved to be duds?

You worms need to give the man credit for performing miracles while being forced to offer £100/week salaries to youngsters with many other 0's in their thoughts. I'm amazed he managed to successfully complete his remit which was to keep us in this League. Owers has been blessed with the means to get us promoted......................
I'm sorry Dave but I disagree, anybody who is prepared to do the job of 2 or 3 people for one wage needs their heads examined in my book, he was employed by the club to manage the football team / squad he assembled & prepare them for the coming seasons to be competitive on the pitch & at the very least last the full 90 minutes which he achieved neither, he was not incidentally employed to drive the team bus or as nice as it is visiting hospitals or care homes or whatever does not prepare a struggling team for the tasks ahead does it.
I did complain at the quality or lack of quality in the recruitment area as the likes of Higgins relegated with Southport Klukowski relegated with York, Fallon far too old to the job required, there was a distinct lack of goals through pre season so why wouldn't I be worried when the main season started ? Just because I never posted my concerns on this forum doesn't mean I wasn't complaining.
And if you expect me to believe the £100 a week story think again no manager worth their salt would work under such appalling conditions apart from let's say St Nico .
I stand by my comment of worst ever squad assembled in the name of TUFC if you don't then kindly enlighten me on yours, thanks.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The Nico thing will run and run forever that's for sure. Nicholson did ok in the first two seasons he was here. He assembled a really good squad with the likes of Rees, Raachi, Ajala, Allen, Blissett and co.

Unfortunately the team he assembled at the start of this season was awful - probably the worst squad of players we have ever had. He made some massive mistakes for example signing an injury prone past it keeper and backing it up with an experienced rookie who isn't up to it. and compounded that with a whole host of completely useless signings most of whom were crocked up.

Whatever you think of Owers he has had a desperately difficult job trying to sort this mess out.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Teigngull wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 13:16

And if you expect me to believe the £100 a week story think again no manager worth their salt would work under such appalling conditions apart from let's say St Nico .

I stand by my comment of worst ever squad assembled in the name of TUFC if you don't then kindly enlighten me on yours, thanks.
If you choose not to believe in facts that's up to you.

The one Owers assembled until about 3 games ago ;-)
Dave

Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Anyway, the game yesterday....

It was fantastic performance overall. Bar 15-20 minutes in the second half, we looked like being the only winner. Regardless of why. Maidenhead playing Stockport for 120 minutes recently, ourselves facing a part time side as professionals, or the 3 points being more vital to us. I don't know or care. We were impressive and deserved it!

Great scenes for the winner, I was buzzing all evening (even this morning) as a result.

Williams worked hard, he ran the channels and looks to shoot at every chance - we've lacked that!

Romain was a handful and has a great attitude.

Onto Dagenham on Tuesday, hoping we avoid defeat.
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

Why is it every topic turns in to a Nicholson debate? I know people are going to compare, but it’s getting tiresome.

He’s not here anymore and he’s not coming back.

Back to the thread, the Maidenhead win was big. But I have just seen our fixtures for March. The most important month in the history of the club (IMO).
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Because some can't refrain from defaming him. It's only fair that the facts are made clear for eveyone to form a balanced opinion.
Dave