Maidenhead v Torquayunited 10/2/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Paignton boy

Post by Paignton boy »

Cruising wrote:-

Why is it every topic turns in to a Nicholson debate? I know people are going to compare, but it’s getting tiresome.

My point exactly.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Think the Admins should create an auto post deleter as soon as Nicholson and Owers are mentioned in the same post :lol:
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Yes it is tiresome but his appointment on the back of blind panic by the previous regime when the promised contract for Paul Cox never materialized, & his willingness to do the job on the cheap is a major contributor of where we are today THAT IS WHY IT IS STILL RELEVANT TODAY.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

...but not in a Maidenhead/Torquay pre/post round up.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 14:34 Because some can't refrain from defaming him. It's only fair that the facts are made clear for eveyone to form a balanced opinion.
What about your infantile defaming of harrop, which is nothing more than playground bullying.
I dare say harrop is not good for the club but you could offer more mature view of the situation.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

When you've been on the receiving end of threats I'll take your opinion with a little more than CGAF ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Parkys People wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 14:56 ...but not in a Maidenhead/Torquay pre/post round up.
I must apologise, but in my defence ( Merse can defend himself ! ) if Paignton boy never mentioned Merses comments on a certain Mr Nicholson ( who, it would seem, is not to be mentioned unless it's on his own personal thread ) then a lot of toys would've stayed firmly in their prams.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I do think Nicholson was unlucky to lose Gowling and Davis through injury for those early games. We looked
solid in the first game against Tranmere 0-0 with Gowling in defence, then he misses the next 3 of Nichos
games and we ship 3, 3, and 4. Chaney at left back was disastrous too. Certainly dont think the defence he
assembled was the worst ever
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Parkys People wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 13:47 Anyway, the game yesterday....

It was fantastic performance overall. Bar 15-20 minutes in the second half, we looked like being the only winner. Regardless of why. Maidenhead playing Stockport for 120 minutes recently, ourselves facing a part time side as professionals, or the 3 points being more vital to us. I don't know or care. We were impressive and deserved it!

Great scenes for the winner, I was buzzing all evening (even this morning) as a result.

Williams worked hard, he ran the channels and looks to shoot at every chance - we've lacked that!

Romain was a handful and has a great attitude.

Onto Dagenham on Tuesday, hoping we avoid defeat.
Please don't go Tuesday it's next Saturday :na: avoid defeat we have to win
Lucy
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Four of the most recent players that Owers has brought in look promising:- Romain, Williams and Barnes, in particular, and also Lemonheigh-Evans. Balatoni sounds as though he is improving with game time. The other 10 or 11 he brought in were/have been poor.

I’m hoping he has turned a corner from what was dreadful recruitment compared to all of his long since departed predecessors, who between them brought in quality that we have had in the side during this upturn in form eg: from yesterday’s 11, Dorel, Young, McGinty, Efete, Davis, Dowling and Gowling. I personally thought Higgins was ok and Gosling has positively influenced the few games he has been involved in. There have been duds signed by all managers, of course, but percentage wise far more duds signed by Owers. Until recently.

I tend to agree with Arcadia that one of our biggest mistakes was not retaining Williams. We have not had a decent strike force until the last few games and credit to Owers for getting him and Romain in.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Rjc70 wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 18:05 Four of the most recent players that Owers has brought in look promising:- Romain, Williams and Barnes, in particular, and also Lemonheigh-Evans. Balatoni sounds as though he is improving with game time. The other 10 or 11 he brought in were/have been poor.

I’m hoping he has turned a corner from what was dreadful recruitment compared to all of his long since departed predecessors, who between them brought in quality that we have had in the side during this upturn in form eg: from yesterday’s 11, Dorel, Young, McGinty, Efete, Davis, Dowling and Gowling. I personally thought Higgins was ok and Gosling has positively influenced the few games he has been involved in. There have been duds signed by all managers, of course, but percentage wise far more duds signed by Owers. Until recently.

I tend to agree with Arcadia that one of our biggest mistakes was not retaining Williams. We have not had a decent strike force until the last few games and credit to Owers for getting him and Romain in.
Who's decision to not include Williams as category A retention last season was it I wonder. Either way it's HISTORY. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. A great result yesterday, but just a little concerned our keeper was nominated by many as MOM. That doesn't bode well. I think the hope we have will be soon diminished when the other teams play there games in hand. For the moment we can believe.
Lucy
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 15:24 When you've been on the receiving end of threats I'll take your opinion with a little more than CGAF ;-)
Oh come on Dave, you’re better that that. You feel as threatened by him as I do by my two -year - old granddaughter. If you want to beat a bully you must confront him/her face to face. Merse can supply you with a postcode...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I didn't say I felt threatened by him, I didn't say it was he himself who tried to threaten me either. The fact is if I did feel the threats from him were genuine he'd have had me knocking his door in the time it would take me to drive to his house. I deride him because he deserves it, he does it to others aplenty so I have zero sympathy for anyone who wants to question my actions regarding him.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Yesterday's goals.

Twitter

Twitter

Twitter
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

desperado wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 17:27 I do think Nicholson was unlucky to lose Gowling and Davis through injury for those early games. We looked
solid in the first game against Tranmere 0-0 with Gowling in defence, then he misses the next 3 of Nichos
games and we ship 3, 3, and 4. Chaney at left back was disastrous too. Certainly dont think the defence he
assembled was the worst ever
I think if you ask questions, the players had injuries when they arrived at Torquay and it might be the case that nobody checked the injuries out before they signed.
Nicho was lucky it came together at the right times and if you look at it another way why did we struggle at the start of all the seasons Nicho was in charge, at the end of the day the players got the club out of the mire at the end of each season he obviously played a part but the players came together in the end.