League 2: Torquay United vs Stevenage

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Very happy with that result, good win against a team who started the day above us. Most of the results outside the play offs went our way but not much helped above us. 4 points outside the play offs with 2 games in hand over Gillingham. Very happy with this and lets hope we can continue against Aldershot. I'd be happy 4 points out of the next 2 games.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

4 points from Rotheram and Stevenage is a really good effort and great preparation for the next 3 fixtures which are tricky to say the least.
Trying hard to avoid any puns about Pringle, but he seems to bring something to the party...
Bring on Aldershot
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

great day, great result,amd as was said in sweepstake he wouldnt be substituted,ha ha joking brilliant :lol:
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by cosmic74 »

Just got back from the game, and a great 3 points it was. The most positive thing we can take from this game, is that once we went 1-0 up, we did not do our usual and sit back and try and defend the 1-0 goal lead. Instead we pressed on to try and extend the lead. All credit to the lads, they were full of running and there seemed to be a great team spirit out there today.

Robinson got MOM, he had a good game, but to be honest I would have given the MOM award to either Craig Stanley (who should be a deffo signing in the summer IMO, he has barely put a foot wrong since he arrived), or Danny Stevens, now I know he has many critics, but full credit to him today, answered his critics with bells on! Scored a top drawer volley, set up the second for Robinson and put another shot just wide. OK, so he made an error after just coming on, by trying to let a ball run out and was done by the Stevenage player, who got in a cross, that they could have scored from. BUT they didn't!!! And then he had the morale courage to take it on the chin and stand up and be counted until the final whistle. All credit to Danny, I hope that Buckle does keep him in the summer, as he is one of those players who can change a game, and when you look at our bench, how many other players can do that?? Well done Danny!!

As for the rest of the team today, Potter was solid as ever, Back four were played well as a unit, with Branston and Mansell leading by example. O'kane and Robinson were causing Stevenage problems all afternoon. Pringle looked as though he had been playing in the team for weeks, and Zebs had another good game, holding the ball up and causing their defenders problems, and gaining and subsequently missing a penalty!!

My only criticism was that after Kee went off, Zebs kept playing wide, instead of acting as a target in the box. But then maybe I am being a little picky!!

Well done lads, 3 points, a clean sheet.

Also, good crowd that sang only positive songs!!! :scarf: :clap:
I live for matchdays!!!!
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Couldn't feel my feet, but would have happily stood on the Popside for another hour to watch that. So much more positive. We really are an excellent team when we pass the ball to feet. The second half was so one-sided. We were helped by the red card, but up to that point we were troubling Stevenage who failed to force Potter into a single save.

First half was quite scrappy at times. Very stop-start due to a whistle-happy referee. Both teams struggled to gain much momentum. We created a few of half-chances, Robinson testing the keeper from 25 yards, Stanley shooting off target from the edge of the area and Zebs dragging one wide on the angle. Stevenage's best efforts came from individual mistakes. Stevens sloppily lost possession when trying to shepherd the ball out for a goal kick, but the final shot was scooped over. Nicholson was then rinsed, but again Stevenage couldn't capitalise once in our box. The early sub came as a surprise. Kee headed straight down the tunnel, but Davey remained rooted to the bench so it must have been a tactical change. We went 4-4-2 with Robinson partnering Zebs up top, O'Kane out on the right and Stevens on the left. It didn't make much impact in the final 15 of the first half, but caused all sorts of problems for our opponents after the break.

Debutant Pringle fired against the crossbar from outside the area within 30 seconds of the restart, but before we had a chance to replay the shot in out heads, Stevens pounced, meeting the loose ball and rifling a 25-yard half-volley into the top corner. Stunning finish. Stevens sprinted over to the Popside and pointed to an area of the crowd while celebrating. I'm guessing he was sticking it back to the boo-boys who have been unnecessarily bugging him this season. He was then mobbed by every outfield player. It was all positive after that. Robinson's pace and trickery was asking questions of Stevenage's leggy defence, Stevens was a constant menace and a tireless Zebs fought for everything.

Then came the penalty and red card. Zebs intercepted a shocking backpass, rounded the keeper and was hacked down by the trailing defender. Easy decision for the referee. Zebs immediately picked up the ball and placed it on the spot, but it seemed that the instructions from the bench were for Robinson to take it. Jakey relayed this to Zebs after talking to Buckle, but Zebs ignored orders and smashed his spot-kick against the underside of the crossbar before Stevenage cleared. Buckle went absolutely livid. He seemed to be venting most of his frustration towards Robinson for not being more forceful with Zebs, but you have to blame the latter if indeed this is what happened (I'm sure a fan closer to the dugout will be able to give a more precise account).

Anyway, the missed penalty didn't knock us off our stride. Stevens almost scored his second after receiving the ball back from Robinson's neat flick, but he curled wide from 20 yards. Zebs then set up Robinson for a tap-in at the back stick, but he shot over after a last-ditch tackle which the fans in the Family Stand thought was a foul. But with five minutes to go, the deserved second goal finally arrived. Branston looked to have overhit a pass down the left, but Stevens controlled superbly, beat the defender and squared for Robinson who smashed into an empty net after his initial attempt was saved. I can't recall Stevenage carving out a clear chance.

Hard to pick a MOTM. The sponsors awarded it to Robinson who was brilliant in the second half. So was Stevens. Branston and Robertson were solid, O'Kane played really well on the right and now looks a lot stronger. Zebs was full of running and posed problems, but he put himself before the team for the penalty. However, my star man was Mr. Stanley. Very accurate passing and pulled the strings in the middle. Always wanted the ball and looked to quickly move it on. As for Pringle, he drifted in and out of the game. Showed some neat touches and passing, but was caught napping a few times. Still an encouraging debut and almost scored a cracker.

Moving on to Buckle, he gambled in the first half with the early sub, and it played out probably better than he could have imagined. We were much more daring than on Tuesday night. Obviously you have to consider the level of opponents, but today we were leaving three up while defending corners! Also in the 93rd minute we won a free-kick in the Stevenage corner. Buckle's response was to shout over to Branston and tell him to join the attack. Much more like it! Roll on the Shots...
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Excellent 2nd half. Stevens was terrific, O'Kane much better, Zebs excellent, Robinson too.

Really good attacking, flowing football, and for once I never felt nervous of an equaliser. Shame about the penalty, a little less hard and it's a goal.

Never mind, 3 points and a clean sheet, what more can we ask for.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Great report tommyg, gives a great picture of the game
Plymouthgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by Plymouthgull »

Well done to the lads and Buckle today. Great reslut, very entertaining second half. Thought Stanley was immense - mom by a long way. Anyone know if Key was injured?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well how refreshing was that,went 1 up and carried on pressing,what a difference forced the mistake which lead to the Stevenage player being sent off and the penalty,and got us a deserved second goal and the three points.

And from corners three of our players up on the half way line,keeping there defense in there own half,its a miracle....its a miracle.

The back four looked as solid as i have seen them in a while,was not concerned they would score against us,maybe it was because there was not to many cooks at the back trying to spoil the broth.

There were many worthy candidate's for motm today,however Craig Stanley to me shone through again a real top signing,please,please can we keep him.

P.s,forgot to add,a big congrats to the Stevenage drummer,what great sounding drum,played well. :clap:
Formerly known as forevertufc
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

Reading the main site, it appears that taking Kee off after 27mins was nothing more than a tactical switch and NOT an injury. I must admit he didn't look to have a knock when he came off, but you can never be sure. So at least he's fit for tuesday which is something
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

No praise too great for the team today. After such a negative, maddening performance on Tuesday, today was a real high point of the season so far.
Stevenage were made to look like they were a division below us, totally agricultural. Not really a retraction from their team or performance, just they were, man for man, totally outclassed by a very composed Torquay side.
Everything has been covered already, Zedders ropey decision to take the pen won't go down with the manager, especially given the miss. Glad Billy is believed to be ok, I'm yet to be convinced that he isn't carrying a niggle.
My only concern from today is the Lino on the Pop side. Forever and Troj will back me up on this, he was guessing with every single decision. He was equally as bad for either team, but it was plainly obvious that he was flipping a coin in his head regarding offside. Hope we don't get him again.
Properly looking forward to the Shots match now, let us kick on and secure a really good seasons end and hopefully a playoff berth.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Where is Trojan? We've usually had a report from him by now.
Well perhaps he will when he's recovered from his hard earned hangover or emerged from the lav (take your pick).
=D
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Just seen thye gullplayer highlights - magnificent. :bow: :clap:
Danny must be up for goal of the season - that was some piece of skill to contol that volley. :keepie:
Aldershot look out ! :whip:
COYY
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Aldershot look out indeed. Stevenage rely simply on being big and bullying teams into submission, not a great deal of skill on show at all. They have a distinctly Conference look and feel about them, a lot of their names are familiar from that division, as is their 'style' of play. One can't doubt it's effectiveness, they were level on points with us prematch, but it is very unlikely to win them any admirers, or a promotion any time soon. Aldershot, I believe, are broadly similar in approach, but somewhat lacking in result, hence their position relative to Stevenage. I would expect us to go out and produce a similar performance, maybe with a slightly greater emphasis on the breakaway, what with being away from home.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

ferrarilover wrote:Aldershot look out indeed. Stevenage rely simply on being big and bullying teams into submission, not a great deal of skill on show at all. They have a distinctly Conference look and feel about them, a lot of their names are familiar from that division, as is their 'style' of play. One can't doubt it's effectiveness, they were level on points with us prematch, but it is very unlikely to win them any admirers, or a promotion any time soon. Aldershot, I believe, are broadly similar in approach, but somewhat lacking in result, hence their position relative to Stevenage. I would expect us to go out and produce a similar performance, maybe with a slightly greater emphasis on the breakaway, what with being away from home.Matt.
Interesting that the team were expecting a lot more of a physical battle from Stevenage than they got. I was as well TBH but despite being a big side, they did look to be just going through the motions :goal: