Wrexham v Torquay 6/1/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

I heard the interview if I want depressed before I certainly am Now! Did he really say "We are where we expected to be".
No you're not Gary you expected to be out of the bottom 4 by Christmas. Green shoots of recovery have now been well and truly trampled on along with the fans spirit.
Will the last one out of plainmoor please switch off the lights.
Tamargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Tamargull »

It's a very long time since I posted but I read the forum almost everyday. After listening to that excuse for a performance I have gone past being angry, just incredibly sad that our great club has been reduced to this. I listened to what was the slow death of a football club. Players are simply not good enough and management seems incapable of improving the situation. I'd rather have 11 lads from the SD league who would at least show some passion and drive. As soon as we went 1-nil down I knew it was all over.
The argument that it was such a mess when the latest two took over is a weak one. The two in charge have made changes an these have NOT worked. They seem incapable of motivating players. The assertion we are not crap anymore is laughable. If they cannot improve the situation please can they do the decent thing and.....
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Clearly I am deluded having predicted we would win today.
All I can say is this. 2 years ago after 31 games we had 24 points and survived because we recruited
Nathen Blissett ( not even on the bench for Argyle today) Danny Racchi, a leader on the pitch, Shaun Harrad, experienced player, Toby Ajala, great engine.These guys made the difference with Josh Rees but I really do not see us surviving now because Gary Owers just cannot get the right guys in because we are bottom and in Devon.
I am normally an optimist but not tonight. Feel so sad.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Just got back from the game...although the scoreline was 4-0 we were actually the better side at times. Their 3 goals in the first half were really so easy though, comical defending sadly. Goal 1 a free header, goal 2 a free header then an error by the keeper spilling it over the line and goal 3 their winger ran through the defence and put it on a plate for his team mate.

The damage was done. Such a shame as it started pretty well and their were good spells throughout the game. The players didn't look sharp and there was a clear lack of quality though to really put their opposition under consistent pressure. O'Sullivan had a decent game whereas Fletcher looked a little off the pace.

Over to you board because if you're going to save this sinking ship drastic action needs to be taken now. insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Speaks volumes there's no math report or manager interview on OS
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

goody2449 wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 20:32 Speaks volumes there's no math report or manager interview on OS
No surprise there then............ :lol:

All i want to read is that the pair of comedians have resigned :)
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Midlandgull wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 19:22 Just got back from the game...although the scoreline was 4-0 we were actually the better side at times. Their 3 goals in the first half were really so easy though, comical defending sadly. Goal 1 a free header, goal 2 a free header then an error by the keeper spilling it over the line and goal 3 their winger ran through the defence and put it on a plate for his team mate.

The damage was done. Such a shame as it started pretty well and their were good spells throughout the game. The players didn't look sharp and there was a clear lack of quality though to really put their opposition under consistent pressure. O'Sullivan had a decent game whereas Fletcher looked a little off the pace.

Over to you board because if you're going to save this sinking ship drastic action needs to be taken now. insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
I too was one of the 67, your assessment is pretty much spot on. We certainly didn't deserve a 4-0 defeat, but if you can't defend and score as a team you will struggle. What pissed me off the most was at the end of the match. At least 7/8 of the players including the dick Owers simply walked off without acknowledging us fans. That is a disgrace.
Lucy
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

That is disgraceful the team and manager not showing appreciation for the 67 there today.

But well done to everyone there today, you deserve medals after what has been going on recently.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by Midlandgull »

lucy6lucy wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 21:40 I too was one of the 67, your assessment is pretty much spot on. We certainly didn't deserve a 4-0 defeat, but if you can't defend and score as a team you will struggle. What pissed me off the most was at the end of the match. At least 7/8 of the players including the dick Owers simply walked off without acknowledging us fans. That is a disgrace.
Yes that was frustrating - I stayed to clap them off and some of them walked off in big hissy fits throwing stuff (bandages or tape or similar) on the floor. Reid and Dowling looked most angry - I get their disappointment but they ought to applaud the fans.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

You can understand the players maybe being embarrassed and ashamed and perhaps they might feel it inappropriate going over to the fans to look for support after a 4-0 trouncing but Owers is the leader. He should lead by example and do so on behalf of the football club regardless. Anybody got any morals down at Plainmoor at all?

On a different subject. Alpine Joe on the other forum. Read many of his posts. Is he ill? I mean, at least that's my excuse.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

tufcyellowarmy wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 14:12 I’m feeling a 4 -1 victory for the Welsh .
I wouldn’t be surprised if a few more of our players disappear after the coach journey back like Gnayoubou.
We are not getting out of this and it’s like watching an injured animal suffer week in week out.
If we are to go down I for one would prefer it over and done with quickly . If it went to the last game of the season and then we lost and got relegated ..... can you imagine how pants that would be.
And to think I thought we would actually score one.
Eastleigh on Saturday will be a tetchy ,fractious affair. They better perform or there will be hell to pay .
Tarrboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tarrboy1 »

The most worrying thing for me is that our management duo seem to have no idea how to influence the players or what happens on the pitch. If you keep conceding goals from corners, surely you spend time in training working on defending them? If you can’t score at the other end, shouldn’t they be working on set plays, tactics, some sort of plan for the players to implement when they get in the final third?

We actually started brightly yesterday and were knocking it around to feet. But they just had no idea what to do when they got near Wrexham’s goal. First time Wrexham get the ball down our end, they score and its game over. That was the pattern for most of the game really.

I lost count of the number of times that Dowling or Young or Davis had time and space with the ball and were looking for an option ahead of them. All they had were blokes in yellow standing still. No movement whatsoever. The result was either a hopeful / hopeless lump in to the air or a pass square or backwards. It was so frustrating to watch.
Goose9
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Goose9 »

I might be on my own here but I am really struggling to understand why Owers stated that it was about 'damage limitation' at half time.

F*ck me, we are 3-0 down, bottom of the table, staring death in the face and this guy wants to play MORE defensively and invite them to come at us instead of making more positive changes to really have a go at getting something back. What more do we have to lose from 3-0 down?

I would've liked to see a more aggressive, attacking set up after the break to try our best to claw a couple of goals back. I know we don't exactly have the golden squad to pick from at the minute but if you are down 3-0 at half time then OBVIOUSLY SOMETHING ISN'T WORKING. IT'S YOUR JOB TO FIND OUT WHAT THAT IS AND CHANGE IT.

I really had high hopes for these two but they seem to be showing their ineptness more and more as time goes on.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

DevonBee wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 20:45 No surprise there then............ :lol:

All i want to read is that the pair of comedians have resigned :)
A new day are the comedians still in employment ????????? :red:

If so can somebody tell me why ???????