Torquay v Eastleigh 13/01/2018 (PP)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Sad to see how the club has reached this position due to a greedy property developer
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 17:27 what a surprise, let down by our forward line AGAIN!

how did the newbies play today?
to be fair Rob, they did at least hit the target - only denied by a MOTM performance by Flitney in their goal.... if Stack had been in we'd have got 4!

and you seemed to have glossed over the fact that their two goals were from a goalkeeping error and poor defending.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 17:31 to be fair Rob, they did at least hit the target - only denied by a MOTM performance by Flitney in their goal.... if Stack had been in we'd have got 4!

and you seemed to have glossed over the fact that their two goals were from a goalkeeping error and poor defending.
couldnt attend today, didnt even see Clarke had started - why change it!?

However given a chance like a pen - when you're 1-2 down - you have to score it
bornagull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: matt elliot

Post by bornagull »

very unlucky to lose today., but if Owers thinks that Flecther is the answer to our striker problems then he knows a lot less about football then he has been given credit for. As for Reid as I have posted before he can't SCORE,can't shoot, can't tackle, can't beat a man, can't head a ball and now can't take penaltys , yet keeps his place in the starting 11 every week , no wonder we are where we are,
Still always next week
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

The only, tiniest chance we have of staying up is to get rid of Owers tonight!!! not tomorrow, next week, NOW!!!!!
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Another depressing afternoon in Plainmoor. If Goslings early howler had gone in, it MIGHT have been different. That's a big MIGHT though.

Absolutely no end product and the penalty spoke volumes for the team right now. Redi appeared to be the only player up for it yet he had a nightmare game and I don't understand why Young or O'Sullivan or Dowling or Davis didn't offer to take it. They all had reasonable games and far better than Reid. As predicted, Reid missed and the misery continued.

We dominated the second half yet had nothing to show for it and once the Eastleigh second goal went in, heads dropped.

I posted on Twitter this morning that I no longer look forward to going to Plainmoor. I can think of a dozen other things I'd rather do yet I used to enjoy going to every game and a fair few away games. Those days are long gone and now I only show up because I have a ST until May. Next year I'll get my Saturdays back. A crowd of under 1500 tells me that I'm not alone with those feelings either.

I thought Dowling, Efete, Davis, Young and O'Sullivan had decent games but that's it. Reid a terrible liability.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

First 15 minutes....Gosling put free header over. Eastleigh scored with first attack, keeper looked slow to get down. Weathered a storm of corners. Rest of half the new players began to gel, Luke Young equalised with a fine placed shot into the corner. Thought we may have had a penalty for handball...signs of improvement.
Second half started well. Gosling and O'Sullivan looking to thread balls through. Pointless to hurl high balls forward, only for them to bounce off Ayo's head. Eastleigh score with first (only?) chance of the half.
Ten minutes to go and glory be we are awarded a penalty on linesman's advice when George Dowling was interfered with on the edge of the box. After a long wait due to Eastleigh protests. Resident penalty taker Jamie Reid put it low...and too close to the keeper.
Torquay played ok, remember at this late stage of the season we have an ever evolving team of strangers. We are too far behind for 'playing ok' to save us. I was too far down the Pop Side to hear McGinty's exchange with the crowd after the final whistle....though it seemed there was a lot of effing and jeffing going on.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

HockeyGull wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 17:52 when George Dowling was interfered with on the edge of the box.
That just sounds wrong. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
markw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by markw »

It's the hope that kills isn't it , for periods of the game we were popping the ball around on the floor , 1 and 2 touch football, and we looked good , But , it's the lack of a focal point , not necessarily a big target man , but a forward who knows where and more importantly when to make the runs . I still hoped that even 2-1 we could come back , which we should have but...

I can understand the frustration , we all are , we have been served this rubbish for the last 5/6 years , but venting that frustration at the players , albeit at the end doesn't help , This frustration needs to be focuses at the literny of inexcusable boards , or now owner who have settled for "just enough" , just enough funds, just enough experienced players and managers.

will I be back next week, probably , will I hope we can win , yep , will I hope we can stay up , yes .... It's that hope again ....
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

It's actually getting boring talking about our performances now. Week, week out, same old, same old, effort and application was there, there were times when the team played some nice football, and periods they dominated the match.

But it's always the same thing, key moments and mistakes. As said, 1st minute, nice flowing move, pin point cross, it's harder to miss than hit the target and probably score, and yes, chance missed, then an Eastleigh players allowed to run at the centre of our defense, shouldn't been, shouldn't got a shot off, but did, it's daisy cutter, and lettuce wrists in goal lets it in, not Clarke's fault, we all know confidence is nine tenths of the law when it comes to goalkeeping, you get that from playing, and he hasn't played any football since way back when.

Second, our team are well on top and for all the world it looks like we're going to take the points, concede and sucker punch, but we're given a lifeline, a penalty and miss.

It's fine margins, and our team keep letting themselves down time and time again at those key moments. We should be 1 goal up, end up 1 down, we should have taken a point, yet managed to lose again.
Formerly known as forevertufc
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 17:27 looking forward to going to these last few northern away games this season..... :-/

as it'll be a bit of a drive for even the closest one next season. :@
Message me mate might join you for one or two.

Don't know why must have been banged on head........ :-/
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

EmetEdadsBeard wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 18:15 Message me mate might join you for one or two.

Don't know why must have been banged on head........ :-/
will do mate.
defo going to Macclesfield.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Played reasonably well but we lack at centre half the new lad relies on his positional sense but on odd occasions it let him down and his lack of pace let him down but he is a good solid player. The team had a lack of balance but once they settled down we started to play well.
Who ever gave Jamie Reid the ball for the penalty should hang their head he would be the last person to give the ball to. :@
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Played well, pretty much dominated the game , some good build up play but as usual we are useless in both
penalty areas. Fletcher poor lad seemed to be playing on his own up front, Reid was on the wing most of the
time where he is not good, have never liked the way he takes penalties, why Young doesnt take them I have no
idea, only one way to take them hit them hard and head/shoulder high anywhere in the goal, the keeper never
dives upwards
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

forevertufc wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 18:04 That just sounds wrong. :)
Sounds like a case for Yewtree......
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.