Torquay v Eastleigh 13/01/2018 (PP)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

As ever always the optimist me , Now that our race is run time to plan for next season in NLS ,
Torquay (1) 3
Eastleigh (0) 3
Att 1763
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

1-0 home win.... Att c.1500
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Three new signings, none of who are strikers sums up our league position. The best we can hope for tomorrow is 0-0. But once Eastleigh get a corner it's game over
Lucy
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Don't you mean five new signings - in the past week.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Eastleigh are actually pretty sh*t so get the new signings to hit the ground running and yes, I can see a 2-1 win here.
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

New signings to kickstart Torquay's season.....or another lunge towards Conference South? Going for a wildly optimistic 1-0 home win, weather permitting.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

nickbrod wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 19:44 Don't you mean five new signings - in the past week.
We signed 2 before Wrexham match, that was last week. Hence why I said 3 new signings
Lucy
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Yorkieandy wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 19:46 Eastleigh are actually pretty sh*t so get the new signings to hit the ground running and yes, I can see a 2-1 win here.
How many times have you seen them play this season, Andy? Yes they're definitely underperforming but they are far from shit.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Southampton Gull wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 20:28 How many times have you seen them play this season, Andy? Yes they're definitely underperforming but they are far from shit.
Well every time I bet on them to do the business they don't so on that basis........ :}

They managed to beat Guiseley at home the other week. Their first home league win since mid October and that's having played the likes of Barrow, Chester, Torquay, Maidenhead, Fylde etc. They couldn't beat Aldershot at home despite having a man advantage for nearly an hour. They couldn't beat Torquay despite having a man advantage at home. They've won 7 out of 28, 3 more than Torquay. They change their manager and playing staff every two minutes and if i'm being harsh by saying they are sh*t then that may be the case.

I'll downgrade that to not really very good as that's what the stats show.

I know you go and watch them Dave and know more than I do (getting like the Merse debate this :lol: ) so I think it's fair to everyone if we simply say that they are underperforming. I think that's the most diplomatic way of putting it.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Actually mate I don't go and watch them very often at all but a lot of the guys I used to play there with are actively involved with running the kids football and obviously watch the first team. They've got players we would bite their hands off for right now but they're definitely underperforming. They've just released Craig McAllister and he could definitely still do a job for us.
Dave

Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Yeah. Not denying they've done a hell of a lot of good work for youngsters and the community etc but I can't help thinking they have taken their eye off the ball first team wise. To an outsider like me it all seems a bit chaotic down there first team wise with so many (too many) changes. There is never any continuity but of course the pressure is there to achieve given the backing they have had. They have got a good squad of players but like you correctly say, underperforming.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

Southampton Gull wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 20:28 How many times have you seen them play this season, Andy? Yes they're definitely underperforming but they are far from shit.
I agree with SG. You can only comment on a match if you have been to watch it, otherwise you get carried away with the other posters. I personally only comment on matches I've been too as I feel that's the logical and most realistic input, yes we can add comments about these matches( hence why gullibull does is man of match report)but we can never reference to particular things as we are not there or equally we where there. Eastleigh, to me will be a tough match.they can score and we can't.
Lucy
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

lucy6lucy wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 21:12 I agree with SG. You can only comment on a match if you have been to watch it, otherwise you get carried away with the other posters. I personally only comment on matches I've been too as I feel that's the logical and most realistic input, yes we can add comments about these matches( hence why gullibull does is man of match report)but we can never reference to particular things as we are not there or equally we where there. Eastleigh, to me will be a tough match.they can score and we can't.
Fair point Lucy but come on, they are just slightly better than Torquay on all known stats this season whether anyone has seen them or not. That gives Torquay a better than fighting chance IMO.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Underperforning Andy, that's all. But remember the words of Brucie, they're only a tinpot club :-D
Dave

stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Doesn't really matter how many times he has seen them play. If Andy says something then Andy is right. Fed up with it! Supported about 15 clubs before finding Torquay United. He did join in very enthusiastically and went to loads of games, but then buggered off and went to support York City. Probably against all expectations York sank faster than our terminally ill TUFC so back he came to offer sage advice! He then tries to take on merse who would eat him and spit him out for breakfast. As I believe strongly that most people are decent and honest, I think that Andy probably is too. But I do struggle with the daily comments from a York City supporter about a club many on here have supported for 50-60 years. You couldn't make it up, but it says volumes about Torquay supporters that we put up with it.