Torquay v Boreham Wood

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Why all the fuss about the penalty? If the penalty hadn't been given, we would have lost anyway - 1 - 0 instead of 2 - 0. The stats show we had NO shots on target. As brave fans who went to Boreham have already posted, their 'keeper had a very comfortable afternoon. Some may blame the players, but I put the blame on Owers/Kuhl for the ultra defensive team they selected as they had also done in the Boxing Day match against Eastleigh.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I gave Owers and Kuhl credit about a month back as they had overseen wins over Sutton and Orient and i think drew somewhere else who were decent and it looked like they had made up for their poor start. They had, but now they've gone back to being sh*t again.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Erm; they only had fifteen players in the squad and two of them were goalkeepers.

If you mean the 'ultra-defensive' formation that is a different matter but in all honesty I don't see 3-5-2 as 'defensive' but the FACT that not one shot had to be saved by their keeper; our creativity was non existent and our only forward movement appeared to consist of the wing-backs running their lines says all.

There appears to be a definite problem within the squad on this showing; no spirit, little desire and fragility bordering on self pity. I've been told this afternoon what Higgins' absence is all about and not football related; it is private and personal, more than likely the reason for the loan of Barnum-Bobb being arranged; and if what I'm told is accurate we might never see him again ~ he's up in Merseyside.
Terrygull

Post by Terrygull »

I was there yesterday and although the result was terrible , I Thought that we were doing well at the start of the game . However, you can’t leave a player totally unmarked from a corner!!! That is schoolboy stuff and unacceptable at this level . That allowed Boreham Wood to slow the game down aided by one of the most one sided refereeing I have seen the his season .
Then , another silly mistake by Davey , that was a ridiculous reaction by our defender and together with the terrible marking cost the game .
It’s as simple as that .

Away from home , you have to be belligerent , aggressive and controlled . Then if 0-0 , they will push forward and that gives us a chance . Instead , they managed the game once 1-0 up , which was totally undeserved .
I thought that Mcginty fought and never gave up , won every header and was outstanding. However, we need everybody at it every game fighting and scrapping for everything and cutting out schoolboy errors.
If we do that , we will get out if this . If we don’t fight, we don’t deserve to.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

merse btpir wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 17:34 Erm; they only had fifteen players in the squad and two of them were goalkeepers.

If you mean the 'ultra-defensive' formation that is a different matter but in all honesty I don't see 3-5-2 as 'defensive' but the FACT that not one shot had to be saved by their keeper; our creativity was non existent and our only forward movement appeared to consist of the wing-backs running their lines says all.

There appears to be a definite problem within the squad on this showing; no spirit, little desire and fragility bordering on self pity. I've been told this afternoon what Higgins' absence is all about and not football related; it is private and personal, more than likely the reason for the loan of Barnum-Bobb being arranged; and if what I'm told is accurate we might never see him again ~ he's up in Merseyside.
We had FOUR central defenders in the starting 11. Efete is a willing lad and in my opinion has been the most successful of the loanees brought in, but he is not an attacking full back. Myrie-Williams filled that role when barnum-bobb was suspended and did a reasonable job. Owers also replaced a forward with a forward when we were 1 - 0 down, and Gnabayou wasn't brought on until 10 minutes from the end when the game was already virtually lost.

If as you say there was no spirit, little desire and fragility (which incidentally mirrored some of the players' - not all - preformances I witnessed in the home game against Gateshead), there has to be question marks over the relationship between manager and players. As the saying goes - has he lost the Dressing Room?
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The truth is Owers is searching for those, currently elusive, players who could make a difference. Let's face it the squad he inherited wasn't great and then he had to apply hurried sticking plaster to the wounds with a number of available loans - players who were prepared to come to Plainmoor. It can't be easy persuading decent professionals to a team struggling in the bottom four of the National League.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Martin Kuhl applied for the job, wonder whether he would have lifted and inspired this shower any better
Not sure what input he has , but Gary Owers cant seem to motivate them, his record as a manager at
FGR and Bath is won 44 lost 59 , not very impressive. Does anyone know how long his contract is for
if he has signed one? Owers and Kuhl must be costing Osborne a fair amount of money
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Won 44 lost 59 ......thats actually really good.

If he could doing the same ratio for us would read as follows ;

That percentage of that is 74.5% which the amount of points available in the national league stands as 138 works out to be close to 104 points which is promotion stuff

Better than non impressive !!!!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

I left out the 34 draws so 44 wins out of 137
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

tomogull wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 17:58 We had FOUR central defenders in the starting 11. Efete is a willing lad and in my opinion has been the most successful of the loanees brought in, but he is not an attacking full back. Myrie-Williams filled that role when barnum-bobb was suspended and did a reasonable job.
Agree with this. Our best back three was Efete-Davey-McGinty. It should have returned on Boxing Day. Shore it up if you’re having trouble scoring. Not sure that back three let a single goal in. Andrésson and McGinty are both left footers and it is an unbalanced back three currently. It’s one thing Owers actually got right. Why he has chosen not to repeat it only he will know.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

hector wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 11:49

Why also, does the team persist in the ridiculous strategy from kick off of booting the ball up in the air and as far as they can down the left wing? They did it under Nicholson. Has Owers not noticed they do it? They give away possession every single time. It’s brainless.
Ridiculous it may be but it most definitely not exclusive to us, in fact I would say that this is the practice of the vast majority of the sides in this league. Take another look a the highlights and you'll see that Boreham Wood, under the management of the highly rated Luke Garrard, start the game in exactly the same manner.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

desperado wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 19:48 I left out the 34 draws so 44 wins out of 137
Works out as 55 points per season in national league statistics not great but still not relegation fodder.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Being appointed when we had 3 points from 10 games the rest of the 36 games would amass 38.3 points from this equation so add 3 points that's 41.3 points RELEGATION