Torquay v Boreham Wood

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

I keep saying this forthcoming transfer window is key. Players going out and coming in will determine our fate.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

A very poor performance against a team with 400 fans. How do they manage to be in a play-off position with such rubbish support?

We simply never looked like scoring. Defence was OK, midfield seemed scared to hold the ball and attack was non-existent.

We weren’t helped by an awful ref – who showed his weakness early on when changing his mind over booking their number 10 while he was treated for the self-inflicted injury.

After the substitutions we were getting into the game more, if not really looking like scoring, but the penalty ended the contest. It was either a very stupid foul or a very bad decision – it was so far from play that I only caught the incident in the corner of my eye so can’t really comment on whether it was a foul.

And why did we keep putting high balls in which their enormous defenders won every time – surely the way to score was to keep the ball on the floor.

Sadly Torquay look like a team that’s heading for relegation. The only hope of avoiding it seems to be to bring in a couple of strikers who can actually score goals at this level.
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

Not only a couple of strikers though. Remember we could lose our whole backline and goalkeeper in the next week......
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Cruisinho wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 19:13 Not only a couple of strikers though. Remember we could lose our whole backline and goalkeeper in the next week......
Reasons to be cheerful Parts 1&2. Anything else you would like to add?!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Very good post from Paul Sturrock on another thread on the mentality of the whole team towards scoring goals
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

standupsitdown wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 19:10 A very poor performance against a team with 400 fans. How do they manage to be in a play-off position with such rubbish support?
Location and a well run club
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

brucie wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 17:42 You say that but if we get that decision its 1 -1 not a 2-0 defeat.

Its a lunatic decision, even the commentators were alluding to the ball being well out of play a couple of times. Inept officials I can tolerate but the law of averages would surely dictate that we shouldn't be on the arse end of every decision game in game out - its hardly helping matters.
How is it 1-1 if they are not awarded the penalty? We don’t score goals.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

This is all part of C O's plan , relegation means less interest from supporters once they start missing games it's damn hard to entice them back, I should know back in '88 there was a hardcore of around 8 of us from the Teignmouth Shaldon area who all went together week in week out now its only me the rest have better things to do with their time & money (their words not mine), anyway, less interest means less aggro so it's easier to wind the club down, we're down to 1400 gates now & it's not even the end of the year, the club is bring killed off right before your eyes people but some of you are still that deluded in thinking the sorry situation is salvageable . it's not.TUFC are going down with a whimper .
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

standupsitdown wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 19:10 It was either a very stupid foul or a very bad decision – it was so far from play that I only caught the incident in the corner of my eye so can’t really comment on whether it was a foul.
Viewed from halfway just beside the camera that has filmed it and can be seen on the Boreham Wood FC twitter page tonight; I saw it like this.......

Davey should have got a straight red for what he did; throwing a right hook at Bruno Andrade who was winding people up left, right and centre. Efete had man-handled the same player to the ground off the ball not long before and he too was fortunate to not even get penalised let along another deserved red card. Dorel was in the process of clearing the ball with it safely in his hands and Dumbo goes and gets involved off the ball behind him ~ WHY?

You simply cannot go around throwing your arms around like that; it's suicidal and unprofessional which aptly summed up the whole performance today encapsulated when the manager leads the players back out onto the pitch for the second half a full two minutes before he needed to and they're stood around like lemons without even a ball to kick whilst the home team cutely stay in their dressing room and let them stew ~ naïve or what?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

I'll tell you why, 'cos it's all part of the f@(king plan. WHY can you not see it ?
aldershotgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by aldershotgull »

Teigngull wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 20:21 This is all part of C O's plan , relegation means less interest from supporters once they start missing games it's damn hard to entice them back, I should know back in '88 there was a hardcore of around 8 of us from the Teignmouth Shaldon area who all went together week in week out now its only me the rest have better things to do with their time & money (their words not mine), anyway, less interest means less aggro so it's easier to wind the club down, we're down to 1400 gates now & it's not even the end of the year, the club is bring killed off right before your eyes people but some of you are still that deluded in thinking the sorry situation is salvageable . it's not.TUFC are going down with a whimper .
Whilst I can see your point, you are being overly dramatic and claiming things that don't actually exist.

"We are down to 1400 gates now". We have had 2 1400 gates. 1 was the first weekend of September and 1 was Gateshead in December which was a Tuesday night when gates are usually a little lower. We have had a 1500 gate once which was Maidenhead (they brought barely any fans, Tuesday night again and the M5 and A303 were screwed up royally). Apart from that, all home gates have been 1700+ in the league. Figures quoted from https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/torq ... ttendances and verified on the BBC website.

Even if your point about smaller gates = smaller voice was accurate, which it is not, there are plenty of fans still going who will NEVER give up and continue to shout as loud as possible to ensure our club remains.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

There is no 'plan' to take the club down. There is no hope for the owner in getting the freehold and he knows he has a capital venture that needs capitalising so he can sell it on.

It's not a case of no money being made available to the manager but of no-one with their own career at stake wishing to commit to a sinking ship. He's got the devil's own task in trying to persuade anyone any differently.

There was talk around Boreham Wood FC last week of a loan striker they had to return to Cheltenham because he was outside their pay scale and that his release trigger valuation had been lodged with his club by another NL club......could that be Dan Holman being on his way to Plainmoor?

So Borehamwood had to remain within their pay structure limitations even though they wanted to keep him and got Aaron Jarvis in on loan from Luton instead ~ a player who was scoring goals for fun for Basingstoke last season and United were perfectly capable of not only being aware of; but putting a decent package together to bring him in.

Instead of that we got Pittman. Now who (there today) would like to compare the two and their match effectiveness and comment thereon? Compare him with Keating or Reid if you like; it doesn't matter because he occupied and bothered our defence for the whole of the time he was on the pitch in a matter that they abjectly failed to do...mind you he didn't have the shit fest of service Young, Lathrope and Gosling were serving up.

Effective strikers are there in the levels below the National League but our previous management were telling all and sundry it was pointless getting off their arses and scouting them. Where do you think clubs like Dagenham, Boreham Wood and Bromley get them from?
Last edited by merse btpir on 30 Dec 2017, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Keep dreaming ,the club is dying no amount of tub thumping from far away fans will stop the unfortunate demise of our fine club whilst RSI have any involvement in the running of. Just look at their history for Christ's sake or are you another one of the rose tinted glasses brigade who think it will never happen look at Hereford, Stockport,Darlington et al . Gates are dwindling the footballs crap its an awful way to spend a Saturday afternoon never mind a cold tues eve in dec watching your team consitently give it all away cheaply.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Teigngull wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 20:56 Gates are dwindling the footballs crap its an awful way to spend a Saturday afternoon never mind a cold tues eve in dec watching your team consitently give it all away cheaply.
Now that I agree with!

There was no fun to be had watching that shower of shite today. There is substance in midfield and very few players willing to buy a ticket and take a chance in the shooting lottery. It's not just the strikers; the service to them is abysmal!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Thank you merse & a very happy & prosperous new year to you & yours.