Eastleigh v Torquay United - Boxing Day 2017

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Tough game in awful conditions. Not sure what Brucie is talking about regarding the wind as there wasn’t any, just rain, and lots of it!

Thought we looked fairly comfortable until Dowling got sent for an early bath. Second card was a given, and he didn’t need to do what he did, I’m putting that stupidity down to his age! Battled well after going down to ten men and we were definitely good for a point.

The major thing for me today was the ball in the final third and how we persistantly pumped it up to nobody. That game was crying out for someone up top to hold on to the ball to ease the pressure on the back line, an option that we can’t offer via Reid or Keating. As eager and keen as they both are, they are defintely not the answer to getting us out of this mess. Not sure why Owers isn’t starting Guy yet??
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 17:51 Keep believing as my uncle one told me. Hope is being able too that there is daylight despite the darkness.
If there was 6 games remaining then i would say impossible . 20 games left it is very much game on. I would say though wins are vital in the next 10 games .
A point keeps our current form in tack. Over the last 6 games we have accumulated enough points to sit a dizzy 11th place in the form league. It we can keep this consistency for the remaining 20 games we will not be relegated. If form is anything to go by over the next 6 games we could well see the likes of out of form teams like Hartlepool, Halifax, Gateshead, Flyde and Eastleigh drawn into the relegation battle. Its not over by a long chalk.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Agree mellow. Great stats. Clearly we need to keep to form and push it up a little. 1 point extra every other game does it. However we are knee deep in shit. But we can and will do it . Got to believe
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I would rather those teams were more out of form than they actually are, Eastleigh won at Dagenham on saturday,
Halifax had won their two previous games before today and were not far off 1 or 3 points today
All these teams around the 30 point mark need to do is pick up the odd win every 4 or 5 games and a draw or two
whereas we need to win virtually every other game, certainly 8 or 9 of 20
Ok we have taken 9 points from the last 6 games or another way of looking at it, no wins in 4 games and 3 points
out of 12 !
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

desperado wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 19:08 I would rather those teams were more out of form than they actually are, Eastleigh won at Dagenham on saturday,
Halifax had won their two previous games before today and were not far off 1 or 3 points today
All these teams around the 30 point mark need to do is pick up the odd win every 4 or 5 games and a draw or two
whereas we need to win virtually every other game, certainly 8 or 9 of 20
Ok we have taken 9 points from the last 6 games or another way of looking at it, no wins in 4 games and 3 points
out of 12 !
You make a valid point - but with form guide you can only go by what's in front of you. And over the last 6 games there are 13 teams who form is worst than ours. So whilst many or all of them may win there next six matches I think you will find than many a supporter of the said 13 teams are equally if not more worried about their teams form than we are of ours.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Some forum snippets on their teams form recently:

Hartlepool: Post subject: Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:57 pm ....never thought I'd see a team in blue n white who are so clueless, suicidal and rudderless, that was the epitomy of a team who are imploding, you'd honestly think they were trying to lose matches.
Just lock the gates, throw away all the keys and do us all a favour,....... tell Sainsbury's the plot's available as from Monday.

Chester: Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2017: Something needs to happen right now! it’s a sinking ship!

Solihull Moors: Sat Dec 26, 2017: Club is in free fall, forget any hope of survival, we are down already.

Maidstone: Sat Dec 26, 2017 The club has been a joke ...Today was who could hit the ball to the moon the best, dire game...The fans even took to fighting in the stands as it was so bad.

Eastleigh: Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2017 .....I thought that Torquay were surprisingly good considering their league position, and looked dangerous on the break. Their three central defenders neutralised our two attackers pretty effectively.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Think it's to be to critical of the team today, the weather conditions, after a nice sunny drive up, and equal pleasant when arriving in Eastleigh went from bad to worse, yes same for both sides, come the end of the game, you could see the lying water on a very, very heavy pitch.

I've been a big fan of Dorel since he joined, he has be excellent for us, today has to be said, Dorel had a stinker, didn't seem to cope with the conditions at all, started from an early moment hen he dropped a cross, seemed to then elect to punch, but his punching was woeful, eventually gifting a goal, his kicking wasn't great today either, surely though, in view of his past performances he can be forgiven.

Thought Dowling was unlucky with the second yellow, bit naïve, maybe could have let the lad go, but to me it's was one of those where you've seen them booked by some ref's and not others, and from that moment kind of feared the team wouldn't hold out, although they defended well.

Mind you thought our team were lucky to get the penalty, it looked outside the box to me, and I thought minimal contact, but not complaining though.

Don't be to down hearted, not a bad performance all things considered, a point won rather than two lost, Eastleigh, a nice warm, friendlily and welcoming club, well organised in and out of their car park's, know a few clubs who could learn from that, but has to be said, their fans are truly awful, don't think over many years of watching football I've ever been to a ground where just about every home fan is silent, and motionless though out the whole game.

Enjoyed my day out, even if the drive back was truly horrendous, with the A35 flooded in parts running at 20 MPH, in some stretch's.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

forevertufc wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 21:03 I've been a big fan of Dorel since he joined, he has be excellent for us, today has to be said, Dorel had a stinker, didn't seem to cope with the conditions at all, started from an early moment hen he dropped a cross, seemed to then elect to punch, but his punching was woeful, eventually gifting a goal, his kicking wasn't great today either, surely though, in view of his past performances he can be forgiven.
Fair assessment. Also agree with your sentiment at the end, Dave.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Don't think I have ever seen a player sent off for climbing on an opponent - we've all seen referees not give a second yellow and it sounded as though we were really comfortable until the red card.

Course its a point one. Eastleigh have some decent players so despite their poor form it was an excellent point in the circumstances.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Didn't really expect a point so its one gained for me. However, because of other results, it is now a must win game in the return match. If we don't get three wins during January I think it will be certain relegation.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

20 matches still to play and 60 points available - it's not over yet! Owers knows we lack a striker and my guess is he's got his shopping list to sign one (two?) in the January Transfer Window. Maybe someone's training with us ready for New Year's Day.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Modgull wrote: 27 Dec 2017, 09:01 Didn't really expect a point so its one gained for me. However, because of other results, it is now a must win game in the return match. If we don't get three wins during January I think it will be certain relegation.
Two of the four games are away trips to sides pushing for the title, Wrexham and Macclesfield! If Owers doesn’t buy extremely early on in Jan, I can’t see us getting any points in either of these games, leaving home games to Eastleigh and Bromley. Eastleigh I think we’ll beat new years day, but Bromley are a big physical side and their away form isn’t actually too bad!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

26 games played with 4 wins, 8 draws and 14 losses = 20 points

If we were to half the number of losses and double the number wins over the last 20 games, we would be somewhere near the magic 50 point.

8 wins, 5 draws and 7 losses = 29 point

Total 49
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: