Torquay United v Maidstone FA Trophy

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I will judge the management duo on the two results against Eastleigh not on this game which lets face it is a meaningless friendly. In our position we just have to focus purely on the league games from now on and rightly so.

The team selection looked poor but you could hardly blame Owers for drafting in a few of the squad players (like a keeper who hasn't played for yonks for starters)

Disappointing result but what happens if we had won 4-0? it doesn't help our league position at all.

You cannot judge anything on the attendance for this match because it isn't a proper game.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Just got back and my take on this match was as follows:

1. The worst, most spineless performance I have ever had the misfortune to witness - and there have been quite a few candidates for that accolade in the last three seasons.

2. Barnum-Bobb was totally cr*p, as he has been in each previous match that I have seen him play, and the tackle was a disgrace - clear red. Should be fined and the proceeds shared amongst the 787 unfortunate home supporters who had to put up with a totally disgraceful 2nd half performance.

3. What was the manager doing? Played 3 central defenders and 2 midfielders supported by two inadequate wing-backs in BB and Myrie-Williams and we ship 4 simple, avoidable goals - 3 from set plays. Felt so sorry for Young and Dowling - they were just overrun in midfield.

4. Faced with the sending off he persists with the same formation and takes off a forward and put on another defender when we needed to score goals to rescue the game - that is just plain stupid.

5. We managed only 5 attempts in the first half - 3 on target whilst the second half was even worse with 2 attempts, both off target.

6. 804 is the lowest attendance I have ever experienced.

7. On this evidence we can forget any hopes of getting out of the relegation mire - expect us to be back at the bottom at the end of the Christmas games.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

brucie wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 18:55 You cannot judge anything on the attendance for this match because it isn't a proper game.
The gate was in the same context as all the others at National League clubs:

Dover Athletic v Eastbourne Borough (NLS) 424 ~ a local derby
Sutton United v Truro City (NLS) 576
Woking v Maidenhead United 648 ~ another local derby
Ebbsfleet United v Eastleigh ~ 733

.......and Aldershot went out 4-0 at East Thurrock of the NLS.

Meanwhile .....
Haringey Borough of the Ishmian League North got 1,033 ~ their biggest ever gate by a country mile ~ for their local derby with Leyton Orient who's fans accounted for 75% of that figure. Man for man; the O's were no better than Boro and edged home 2-1 after trailing at half-time and from the fifth minute in fact. Orient were bigger and stronger in midfield whilst Boro moved the ball quicker and had superior technical skills.......you could see why Orient are where they are in the league and why they are struggling.

Not a competition that is exactly taken as the real deal by either NL clubs or their supporters.
Last edited by merse btpir on 16 Dec 2017, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

brucie wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 18:55 I will judge the management duo on the two results against Eastleigh not on this game which lets face it is a meaningless friendly. In our position we just have to focus purely on the league games from now on and rightly so.

The team selection looked poor but you could hardly blame Owers for drafting in a few of the squad players (like a keeper who hasn't played for yonks for starters)

Disappointing result but what happens if we had won 4-0? it doesn't help our league position at all.

You cannot judge anything on the attendance for this match because it isn't a proper game.
Ordinarily I would agree with you Terry but you weren't there - it truly did scrape the barrel and for the first time I question whether the management team have the answers.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

brucie wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 18:55 I will judge the management duo on the two results against Eastleigh not on this game which lets face it is a meaningless friendly. In our position we just have to focus purely on the league games from now on and rightly so.

What ? Why is it not a proper game ? There is prize money up for grabs, there were 804 paying supporters inside plainmoor this afternoon I didn't hear any cheering when maidstone scored 1,2,3 or 4 from the home fans & if it didn't Matter why the hell were they booed off at half time ? The players that were picked for today's game should of bust their asses for the cause & made it impossible for Owers to drop them . 804 fans, apart from the Maidstone few, totally utterly pissed off on today's performance that was sold to the public as a cup game nowhere did I see it advertised as a meaningless friendly.
Let's not kid ourselves, we are crap & getting crapper , it needs major surgery that ain't forthcoming.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Whew! Some bad reports here. Are these the worst ever? There have been so many candidates for 'the worst ever' over the past few seasons that's it's difficult to know; but Top 10 worst games? Someone let me know who was there and who has experienced other 'worst games'.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Owers post match reaction is in.

https://www.torquayunited.com/official- ... at-161217/

Sounds like we’ll definitely be losing 3 players this week as well.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Not there but reports sound terrible. After some reasonable performances and results it feels low again. No excuse we didn't take it seriously, if that's the case sack the bloody lot
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

6 loanees in the matchday squad. Is that allowed?
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

It was a depressing performance but to be positive it showed Owers which fringe players aren't up for it. He's going to have to do some wheeling and dealing in the New Year to get the squad he wants.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

nickbrod wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 20:48 It was a depressing performance but to be positive it showed Owers which fringe players aren't up for it. He's going to have to do some wheeling and dealing in the New Year to get the squad he wants.
Fair point , though surly by now he should know ! Takes a exit from the last cup we are in to find this out. We are halfway through season and shouldn't be digging about too see who is up for playing association football with torquay united. Like I say its a good point in my eyes , end of the days the players who get shipped out will be the losers. Owers still has my backing as i feel he will turn it around. But he can work with what he has been given , what option is there.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Well Murphy has already gone, McQuoid must be next followed by Evans (or might his loan be extended?), Barnum-Bobb after his sending off means his loan is up as he misses the next three matches while non-contract Myrie-Williams could be on his way. What about Davey who looks woeful now he's playing out of his original position next to McGinty and Andresson who looks the complete opposite to the player who did so well at Bath last season.
Owers has a lot of big decisions to make.
Reckon he needs a clean sheet to start again.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Rjc70 wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 20:376 loanees in the matchday squad. Is that allowed?
In the FA competitions; yes. It's the National League that imposes the 'five' rule.

Under 15i of the FA Trophy regulations they talk about loanees and that they must have written permission from the parent club before lunchtime on the Friday before the match was played but no stipulation of the maximum number in a squad.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Absolutely agree! This match will be totally irrelevant if we take 6 points off Eastleigh. Maybe today's lost will be just the tonic for the team to come out against Eastleigh on Boxing Day full of intent to make amends for such a dismal display today. I am not prepared to lay blame on Owers for this match - the players need to look at themselves. The league is everything and Owers and co have managed to take 8 point out of 15 over the last five games - that is not relegation form. I think we ought to see the results of the three league games over the festive season before we turn ourselves into Pontius Pilate's and crucify the man. If we take nine points out of the next three matches then we will all be hailing Owers as the Messiah (yes I know, we crucified him too.)
Last edited by MellowYellow on 17 Dec 2017, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 20:59 Fair point , though surly by now he should know ! Takes a exit from the last cup we are in to find this out. We are halfway through season and shouldn't be digging about too see who is up for playing association football with torquay united. Like I say its a good point in my eyes , end of the days the players who get shipped out will be the losers. Owers still has my backing as i feel he will turn it around. But he can work with what he has been given , what option is there.
What he has been given ? He has signed players too you know.
He’s had months to get his squad sorted and yet it’s still someone else’s fault is it ? But I agree he may turn it around . I wish I had your optimism but I don’t on the basis of what I have seen and fear we are doomed .
The option is get shot of him and MK and don’t take a month to do it .