Torquay v Aldershot match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

There has definitely been an upturn in performances over the past 2-3 weeks and it's no coincidence that results have followed.

Today I expected a tough game and would have gladly accepted a point beforehand but we played really well and could easily have taken all three points in the end.

Anybody who still thinks that the sacking of KN was a bad idea, really needs to get down to PLainmoor and watch the team now. Much fitter and also there is a pattern of play and an intent when attacking. Things are looking much brighter and I think we will comfortably move away from the relegation spots. If the results continue to improve, maybe we'll see the crowds start to rise above 2000 again.

:scarf:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

nickbrod wrote: 02 Dec 2017, 21:38 There can't be one true TUFC supporter who still thinks all was well under the previous management. Yes there were constraints but with the budget available was it spent wisely? The all-round improvement and progress under Owers and Kuhl is there for all to see. These guys are leading us to safety.
Not sure if this was aimed at me, but I never said getting rid of Nicholson was the wrong thing to do. I think we can all see from how the team is playing now that it needed to be done.

The point of my post was that it’s up to the players to follow the training regimes, diets etc because they can’t be watched all the time. As an athlete, in my view there is no excuse to being out of shape. That was the only point I was making. As merse alluded to, I am sure more time would want to be spent on match prep, than actually getting players fit enough to last the 90 minutes.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

So good to see another 90 minute performance, I dont think Aldershot were expecting quite such a hard
game and were clearly rattled, though Waddock would have known about Owers and Kuhl and warned his players
At half time I feared Aldershot would step it up and push us back but it didnt happen and we had the better
of it. We are winning a lot more second/loose balls now all over the pitch which is so important
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

great to read such positive posts re yesterdays performance - god knows what happened at Fylde!
with regard to fitness, it should be a two way thing. yes the clubs management take the lead, but its a two way thing and players need to be on board.
they will be give regimes to follow away from the training ground and should adhere to them.
you only have to review the fitness of the part time clubs to realise that there was something missing - we seemed to be pedestrian compared to some.
in my younger glory days, =D we had Barnsley legend and club captain Phil Chambers training us - I thought he was a t*at with us, but we were so much fitter than teams we played against at our level and it led to a number of successful years. it was then I realised how fit pros are or should be.
I was that keen I used to go running with some of the first team players and I hated bloody running!!! but I realised quickly that it would benefit me when playing on a Saturday afternoon.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 09:04

.............. but we were so much fitter than teams we played against at our level and it led to a number of successful years. it was then I realised how fit pros are or should be.
I was that keen I used to go running with some of the first team players.....
What happened? 😁 😁 😁
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Cruisinho wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 07:16
The point of my post was that it’s up to the players to follow the training regimes, diets etc because they can’t be watched all the time. As an athlete, in my view there is no excuse to being out of shape. That was the only point I was making. As merse alluded to, I am sure more time would want to be spent on match prep, than actually getting players fit enough to last the 90 minutes.
To be fair, that's not how your first post read, regardless of how you meant it. Totally agree with what you say here, however, it is still the managers responsibility, if he's put the programmes in place, and has a player, or players still turning to training and match days unfit, to find out why, and sort it.

We've moved from Nicho, but I will always feel he made a number of mistakes regards player fitness, didn't handle it right, and was possibly deluded in thinking his squad was fit, when they clearly were not.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Very small response to this match thread, considering we held our own for a very well earned and deserved draw, to the league leaders. Point gained, moved up a place and we are 3 points from safety. League survival is looking likely if we maintain our current performances. Credit to the management and players.
Lucy
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

lucy6lucy wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 17:03 Very small response to this match thread, considering we held our own for a very well earned and deserved draw, to the league leaders. Point gained, moved up a place and we are 3 points from safety. League survival is looking likely if we maintain our current performances. Credit to the management and players.
Sadly Lucy I think that most of us are so disillusioned by the current state of he Club that we have become indifferent to what is happening on the pitch. That is why the Forum is slowly dying from lack of postings
There is no vision for the future that has been shared with fans. We can only assume that the current owners have no long term interest in the Club and as far as I know there are no prospective buyers on the horizon. There is little prospect of community ownership because despite the god intentions of locally based supporters there isn't the drive and skil set amongst them to take on the running of he Club.
If Owers and Kuhl save us from relegation will they get a decent budget for 2018/19 for a promotion push. Who know? Will they go as soon as they get a better offer.
What happens if we go down? Will we be able to afford them?
If Merse btpir knows all the answers perhaps he can enlighten the rest of us as to what the future might be.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

Jack wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 08:47 Sadly Lucy I think that most of us are so disillusioned by the current state of he Club that we have become indifferent to what is happening on the pitch. That is why the Forum is slowly dying from lack of postings
There is no vision for the future that has been shared with fans. We can only assume that the current owners have no long term interest in the Club and as far as I know there are no prospective buyers on the horizon. There is little prospect of community ownership because despite the god intentions of locally based supporters there isn't the drive and skil set amongst them to take on the running of he Club.
If Owers and Kuhl save us from relegation will they get a decent budget for 2018/19 for a promotion push. Who know? Will they go as soon as they get a better offer.
What happens if we go down? Will we be able to afford them?
If Merse btpir knows all the answers perhaps he can enlighten the rest of us as to what the future might be.
We already get enough unsolicited thoughts of Chairman Merse - please don't ask for more pearls of wisdom from him!
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Good to see ' Gateman' pick up a nice little Christmas bonus as winner of the 50/50 draw - well done Andrew, a loyal and dedicated supporter and long time turnstile man.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Jack I am not sure I agree with you that "the Forum is dying from lack of postings"

If you look on Page 1 at viewings ignoring the first 3 subjects which are a little historic there are over 60,000 viewings.
Postings may be a different matter to some degree but some subjects have been done to death and there is only so much you can say.

Why don't we have;

Player of the Month.
Ideas for Set Pieces.
New ideas for Half Time Entertainment.