Torquay United v Leyton Orient thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Today was the most enjoyable afternoon I've spent at Plainmoor for a good couple of years at least.

For once, we dominated play, out tackled, out passed and out scored our opponents comfortably. The defence looked confident and Davey was very assured at the back and most importantly, vocal.

Davis spent most of the first half outstripping Caprice at RB and having fun creating opportunities. Personally I thought MoM was either him or Reid. Jazzy B from the Fresh Prince was a weird choice.

On the subject of Reid, he and Keating worked their socks off pressuring defenders into making mistakes and the frustration of this finally told on Caprice when he lunged in with an awful challenge which rightly earned him a red card. 3-0 was a good solid win.

The crowd were enjoying themselves, the players were smiling and for a brief couple of hours, joy returned to Torquay United.

One final comment about Orient. They looked in desperate trouble and there's no cohesion throughout their team (sound familiar?). Hopefully they'll improve as long as it's not at our cost. Sad to see these two teams scrapping around at the bottom of the Conference.

Onwards and, dare I say, Upwards.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Worth highlighting this today too -

https://x.com/ChrisToddBook/status/934487076011233281
Last edited by TUST_Member_Rob on 25 Nov 2017, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

That was the best, most complete performance I have seen from us for a very long time
Passing and movement was excellent and we could have had 6 or 7
Hard to pick a MOTM because everyone played really well, if we played like that every week we would stay up
easily, but can we maintain that sort of performance ? Yes Leyton Orient were poor and Aldershot will be
a much harder test next week so lets see how we do against them before we get carried away but today
was so enjoyable to watch and was very encouraging
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

desperado wrote: 25 Nov 2017, 20:49 That was the best, most complete performance I have seen from us for a very long time
Passing and movement was excellent and we could have had 6 or 7
Hard to pick a MOTM because everyone played really well, if we played like that every week we would stay up
easily, but can we maintain that sort of performance ? Yes Leyton Orient were poor and Aldershot will be
a much harder test next week so lets see how we do against them before we get carried away but today
was so enjoyable to watch and was very encouraging
:goodpost: completely agree, gonna enjoy today, and this week, but we're still not where we want to be! :clap: :clap:
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Only the second Home Match I have missed this season due to Family Party- my Birthday.
Best present was 3 points from the lads.
Great result and I get the feeling the players are really beginning to respond to the best Management Team we have seen at Plainmoor in a very long time.
Make no mistake Gary and Martin know exactly what they are doing and the players, who were a little slow to get the message, are now on message.
Next Saturday will be a big test but beat Aldershot and we will then know the worst is truly behind us and we can actually look forward with some confidence to the rest of the season.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Dont mean to put a dampener on things, I'm expecting a lambasting for this and believe me I enjoyed the game and the win as much as anyone but I'm not getting carried way. Orient were one of, if not the worst team I have seen at Plainmoor in my 30 years as a TUFC fan.

The first goal and many of our chances in the first half came from Orients own making, we barely had to do anything to carve them open in the second half. Was pleased with some of our passing and creativity, the pressing and workrate was superb but even though we scored 3 our final ball and finishing was woeful. We should have doubled that scoreline with what we created or the amount of times we were able to get crosses in. Barnum Bobb had a good solid game but his numerous crosses were often poor, either over or under hit. Some werent his fault as nobody seemed to be gambling or taking a chance by getting in the danger area though.

A day like today was a chance to improve the goal difference and create some confidence, Orient were that bad. We wont get anything like that amount of possesion and chances against many of the other teams in this league, we still seriously need to improve our finishing. I have seen Torquay play equally as well as that this season and lose so lets just hope this is our luck turning and the hard work is deservedly paying off.

Cant really pick out any individual performances as all players had a good game.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

some interesting posts....

I know some have said that the O's were not that good but that's not our problem.

I think the positives are that we kept our second clean sheet in a row with a young player replacing Gowling.
it was good to see that they followed up Tuesday's excellent result, with a 90 minute performance.
if we can maintain this type of performance, then we will survive.
delighted for the players, staff, GO, MK and the fans - I bet it was pretty good in B&L after the game...
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Lloyder5 wrote: 25 Nov 2017, 18:27 To be fair he has had a lot of abuse from some fans
Agreed, Reid has been on the wrong end of some dogs abuse, at games and across social media platforms, don't blame him. And got what he meant when, he ran towards the popside with his hands cupped around his ears after scoring, clearly meant, you're not calling me shit, and telling to fork off back to Exeter now are you.
Formerly known as forevertufc
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

"Something that hasn’t escaped my thoughts is how fit and strong the players look now because I don’t think we could have done 10 weeks ago.” ~ Gary Owers

The stand out factor for me on Tuesday night at Sutton was the fitness, pressing and mentality to start the game urgently and in an aggressive manner in direct contrast to the team Gary Owers inherited that was so unfit it was an embarrassment. In eleven weeks he and Martin Kuhl have despatched with the 'fitness coach' and got them twice as fit and three times as competitive!

I'm assuming this was the manner in which they started today and I note that the manager has made comment regarding the fact that he doesn't think they were capable of that when he and Mister Kuhl came in eleven weeks ago.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

also I think that McGinty has "improved" his game.
at Fylde he was passing to our players - no hoof ball - (sorry Merse its true) and again today he's been solid.
like a "Mark Ellis"..... cant believe they left him on the bench.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes it's difficult to really put our owns teams performance into a true perspective, Orient were as bad a team as we've at Plainmoor for some time, and just when you thought it not possible to see a team perform as badly as our own, has during the early stages of the season, Orient managed to make some of our performances look pretty decent, They find themselves in a position we've been in for a few seasons now, 300 plus loyal O's away fans deserve just like our own fan base a lot better.

The improvements in our team are clear to see, for a start player fitness, they weren't fit, they are now, a real treat to see our own team still full of running at the 90 minutes mark, and still pressing orient all over the field right to the death, it was lack of fitness that was causing so many late goals to be conceded, no coincidence the team are no longer shipping late goals.

We're now seeing our team play with width, really no surprise that Luke Young is once again starting to like the player he was when first signed, he has options to work with, rather than being forced to quarter back the midfield, and just keep switching the play 30 yards side to side. It's good to see our team at least trying to play football, glad to see the back of the aimless hoofed, kick it any stuff we were being treated to, with a midfield line sat so deep, they nearly had the defenders up their rear ends.

In Dorel we now have the best keeper in my opinion seen down here in a long time, didn't have a lot to do, but when called upon in complete command of his area, the lad Davey looks impressive, hope we can hang on to him for the rest of the season, Barnum-Bobb and more so Davis carry a treat going forward, and what have Owers and kuhl done with McGinty, even managed to get him passing the ball out from the back, even finding yellow shirts.

Can't leave this with out a mention for Lathrope, heard a few fans moaning, but he's not in there to make those Hollywood passes, he's in there to break up play, I counted at least 4 times today he got back and made superb tackles, another player who looks fit again, Keating great work rate as normal, better option than Murphy and Jamie Reid today has to be said was outstanding, think we said anyone of the starting 10 outfield players could get motm today, only ruled out Dorel because he was largely a spectator.

All in all, one of the most complete team performances of the season, for once I couldn't take my eyes of the game, rather than standing on the popside bored shitless as I've been during the early part of this, and most of last season. Not going to get carried away after todays game however , we have Aldershot next week, they've had a good win today and are 3 points off the top spot, they will not roll over and lets us tickle their tummies like Orient have today, next week will be more of a yard stick as to whether the recovery is on.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

forevertufc wrote: 26 Nov 2017, 00:33 Yes it's difficult to really put our owns teams performance into a true perspective, Orient were as bad a team as we've at Plainmoor for some time, and just when you thought it not possible to see a team perform as badly as our own, has during the early stages of the season, Orient managed to make some of our performances look pretty decent, They find themselves in a position we've been in for a few seasons now, 300 plus loyal O's away fans deserve just like our own fan base a lot better.

The improvements in our team are clear to see, for a start player fitness, they weren't fit, they are now, a real treat to see our own team still full of running at the 90 minutes mark, and still pressing orient all over the field right to the death, it was lack of fitness that was causing so many late goals to be conceded, no coincidence the team are no longer shipping late goals.

We're now seeing our team play with width, really no surprise that Luke Young is once again starting to like the player he was when first signed, he has options to work with, rather than being forced to quarter back the midfield, and just keep switching the play 30 yards side to side. It's good to see our team at least trying to play football, glad to see the back of the aimless hoofed, kick it any stuff we were being treated to, with a midfield line sat so deep, they nearly had the defenders up their rear ends.

In Dorel we now have the best keeper in my opinion seen down here in a long time, didn't have a lot to do, but when called upon in complete command of his area, the lad Davey looks impressive, hope we can hang on to him for the rest of the season, Barnum-Bobb and more so Davis carry a treat going forward, and what have Owers and kuhl done with McGinty, even managed to get him passing the ball out from the back, even finding yellow shirts.

Can't leave this with out a mention for Lathrope, heard a few fans moaning, but he's not in there to make those Hollywood passes, he's in there to break up play, I counted at least 4 times today he got back and made superb tackles, another player who looks fit again, Keating great work rate as normal, better option than Murphy and Jamie Reid today has to be said was outstanding, think we said anyone of the starting 10 outfield players could get motm today, only ruled out Dorel because he was largely a spectator.

All in all, one of the most complete team performances of the season, for once I couldn't take my eyes of the game, rather than standing on the popside bored shitless as I've been during the early part of this, and most of last season. Not going to get carried away after todays game however , we have Aldershot next week, they've had a good win today and are 3 points off the top spot, they will not roll over and lets us tickle their tummies like Orient have today, next week will be more of a yard stick as to whether the recovery is on.
:goodpost: almost feel like opening a bottle of crystal champagne with your assessment. We have not had a bad/horror performance in the last ten games, we have just lacked that FINAL pass/touch. Is it all clicking into place, I think so. What is a key factor today from most reports is that we performed well in both halves, something we haven't done all season. Well done to all. Aldershot and tranmere to come. I somehow fancy us more at tranmere. Crazy to see Sutton United top of the table
Lucy
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Yes thats correct, that was the first 90 minute performance this season
Dont really agree with Chunky that we have played as well as that this season and lost
Orient were poor but maybe we made them look poorer as we were at it for 90 minutes They did draw 2-2 away at Wrexham recently, I think we will make other teams
look poor if we play like that
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I noticed that Reid came over to the Popside after scoring yesterday and had both hands cupped around his ears.
I took this gesture to mean that he has noticed the Poor Press he’s been getting and wanted to reply.

So here goes, before he signed a permanent contract he was full of energy but lacking in any quality, whether in the tackle or in front of goal. However after signing and working under Owers he still maintains the same, if not increased his work rate, he has also improved his tackling and gained good partnerships with the strikers. His finishing ( strike rate) still remains a frustration to me but under Owers “He is not rubbish anymore!”
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

forevertufc wrote: 26 Nov 2017, 00:33 The improvements in our team are clear to see, for a start player fitness, they weren't fit, they are now, a real treat to see our own team still full of running at the 90 minutes mark, and still pressing orient all over the field right to the death, it was lack of fitness that was causing so many late goals to be conceded, no coincidence the team are no longer shipping late goals.
Absolutely they weren't fit, and certainly they are now; that was the basis for the whole failure under the last regime. nothing to do with lack of money, resources or being where the club is geographically located. Part time teams were fitter than ours and it used to hurt me to observe it. Pressing and movement are key to being the team with the upper hand in this league and ours was woeful ~ rather like Orient might have been yesterday. Get a team under the right sort of management in this league and you've got a chance.
forevertufc wrote: 26 Nov 2017, 00:33 We're now seeing our team play with width, really no surprise that Luke Young is once again starting to like the player he was when first signed, he has options to work with, rather than being forced to quarter back the midfield, and just keep switching the play 30 yards side to side. It's good to see our team at least trying to play football, glad to see the back of the aimless hoofed, kick it any stuff we were being treated to, with a midfield line sat so deep, they nearly had the defenders up their rear ends.
So under proper management ~ who know how to set a side up, balance it properly and put the emphasis on keeping possession ~ we've had a good week; a week where we beat a side away from home and postponed their arrival at the top of the table and mullered a mirror reflection of our own sorry selves under the previous management.........McGinty reverting to the type of player that must have been the object of desire of Man Utd? Well it shows how little was demanded of him before doesn't it.

Of course it will be tougher next Saturday, and it was tougher at Sutton on Tuesday; but no need to fear that. Aldershot were quite impressive when I've seen them twice this season on their own patch, but not that impressive and let's hope things are finally coming together!
Last edited by merse btpir on 26 Nov 2017, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.