Torquay United v Leyton Orient thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Torquay United v Leyton Orient thread

Post by Admiral »

Seeing as there isn’t a match thread yet I may as well start one!

We NEED to start turning these rare, unexpected wins away from home into form. I was bouyant after the Ebbsfleet victory and then we lost at home 4 days later - here’s hoping history does not repeat itself!

I think we’ll get our first back to back victories of the season.

2-0
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

I think we were a tad unlucky that the game immediately after the Ebbsfleet victory was against Dover, who were by far and away the best team I have seen in this division so far. A game against them was always going to be tough even if we were doing well, so to meet them when our form and confidence was so fragile was unfortunate. Although we obviously could have done better.

This game is a real opportunity to show the rest of the division, the fans and , perhaps most importantly, the players themselves that we are capable of stringing a few results together. A win would put us 4 points behind Orient and, I think I am correct in saying, four points from safety no matter how the results go. To get ourselves within two results of safety would be a massive boost to everyone. Lose and we’re back to square one again.

I still have concerns about the balance of our forward line so I’m not expecting us to rip them apart, but we are certainly playing well enough at present to win the game. I’m going for another 1-0 win.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Inconsistency! Inconsistency! Thus:

Torquay United (0) 1
Leyton Orient (1) 3

Att: 2119
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

This result will go a long way to showing us if we mean business about staying up
Orient have not won for 13 games in the league, if we cant score against them things will be looking bleak
I hope and expect Martin Ling will get a great reception
Think the wait for a second home win will go on though, 2-2 draw
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Cannot get to Plainmoor tomorrow but this is another vital game.
I just get the feeling that Gary and Martin are beginning to get the squad to believe in themselves and that results will improve.
Since the new management team took over our Home form has been dire with the notable exception of the 4-0 win via Maidenhead
We have lost to Macclesfield,Dover, Hartlepool and Maidstone failing to score and conceding 7.
However I saw all four games and for long periods of each game, except Dover, we battered the opposition but had nothing to show for it because our lads are simply NOT CLINICAL when presented with a chance.
We have to ensure that chances are put away and Reid who is such a live wire must think were am I going to place the shot and not just hit it anywhere.Come on Reidy just think for that vital spit second and then bury it!
COYY
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

My prediction is the same as Tuesday nights, hoping for the same result.

3 nil loss 😉
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Kit_robin wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 10:44 I think we were a tad unlucky that the game immediately after the Ebbsfleet victory was against Dover, who were by far and away the best team I have seen in this division so far. A game against them was always going to be tough even if we were doing well, so to meet them when our form and confidence was so fragile was unfortunate. Although we obviously could have done better.

This game is a real opportunity to show the rest of the division, the fans and , perhaps most importantly, the players themselves that we are capable of stringing a few results together. A win would put us 4 points behind Orient and, I think I am correct in saying, four points from safety no matter how the results go. To get ourselves within two results of safety would be a massive boost to everyone. Lose and we’re back to square one again.

I still have concerns about the balance of our forward line so I’m not expecting us to rip them apart, but we are certainly playing well enough at present to win the game. I’m going for another 1-0 win.
Your correct, if we win regardless of other results we will be 4 points from safety. However, due to us playing 5th from bottom orient, a defeat could potentially see gap 10. So it's a very defining match tomorrow regarding our plight this season. We are well overdue a rub of the green, so I'm going for a nervous 2-1 win.
Lucy
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Any news on if the new striker is available to play tomorrow
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Kit_robin wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 10:44 I think we were a tad unlucky that the game immediately after the Ebbsfleet victory was against Dover, who were by far and away the best team I have seen in this division so far.
The Dover game followed the maidenhead game. As for Dover being the best side in the division, I can't agree, my thoughts of that game was that Torquay's performance was one the worst I have seen from them in forty years. Dover couldn't fail to look good.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Be a really nice touch for the yellow army to sing some Martin Ling songs today as no doubt he'll be in the ground as part of the backroom staff. Be a bit classy that, unlike the morons that sacked him in such unceremonious circumstances whilst he was Torquay boss.

Regarding the game. Torquay are in the brown stuff and most expect them to go down. Orient are also in the brown stuff and most expected them to go straight back up so i'd say the pressure is all on them and in many respects the Sutton game was the most difficult as they were flying high on a fine run and then Torquay pitch up and take the 3 points.

If, and it's a big if, Torquay can gain back to back wins against Sutton and Orient then i will change my mind. Survival is an option. Slump back into old ways and another predictable defeat and that will show me that they haven't grasped the nettle and will then probably go another 8 games without a win and lose touch completely.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

On a bright, sunny but crisp morning thanks for your jolly thoughts!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Yorkieandy wrote: 25 Nov 2017, 10:35 Be a really nice touch for the yellow army to sing some Martin Ling songs today as no doubt he'll be in the ground as part of the backroom staff. Be a bit classy that, unlike the morons that sacked him in such unceremonious circumstances whilst he was Torquay boss.

Regarding the game. Torquay are in the brown stuff and most expect them to go down. Orient are also in the brown stuff and most expected them to go straight back up so i'd say the pressure is all on them and in many respects the Sutton game was the most difficult as they were flying high on a fine run and then Torquay pitch up and take the 3 points.

If, and it's a big if, Torquay can gain back to back wins against Sutton and Orient then i will change my mind. Survival is an option. Slump back into old ways and another predictable defeat and that will show me that they haven't grasped the nettle and will then probably go another 8 games without a win and lose touch completely.

:goodpost:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Guy Gnabouyou on the bench, good news. Give him a good run out in the 2nd half and see whats he is about! COYY
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

Here's hoping for a Saturday win, using any means of luck possible. Forecast a 2-0 win goals from Keating (via a massive deflection) and a Young shot hitting the post and into the net via the back of the goalkeeper's head!
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

1-0 McQuoid!