Torquay United v Leyton Orient thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

merse btpir wrote: 26 Nov 2017, 08:40 Absolutely they weren't fit, and certainly they are now; that was the basis for the whole failure under the last regime. nothing to do with lack of money, resources or being where the club is geographically located. Part time teams were fitter than ours and it used to hurt me to observe it. Pressing and movement are key to being the team with the upper hand in this league ad ours was woeful ~ rather like Orient might have been yesterday. Get a team under the right sort of management in this league and you've got a chance.
So under proper management ~ who know how to set a side up, balance it properly and put the emphasis on keeping possession ~ we've had a good week; a week where we beat a side away from home and postponed their arrival at the top of the table and mullered a mirror reflection of our own sorry selves under the previous management.........McGinty reverting to the type of player that must have been the object of desire of Man Utd? Well it shows how little was demanded of him before doesn't it.

Of course it will be tougher next Saturday, and it was tougher at Sutton on Tuesday; but no need to fear that. Aldershot were quite impressive when I've seen them twice this season on their own patch, but not that impressive and let's hope things are finally coming together!
:goodpost:
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Onwards and upwards
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We win three nil and people start carping about the "quality" of the opposition.

Out of their last six matches away from home Orient have drawn three and lost three by the odd goal. So this game was never going to be a pushover.

Sutton who we beat on Tuesday are now top of the league. Some people are never happy.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

WOW! I agree with Brucie.
For two or more seasons some really poor teams have come away from Plainmoor with three points, doing nothing but wait for United to make mistakes or miss a hatfull of chances.
Well done boys
TUST number 080
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

brucie wrote: 26 Nov 2017, 11:09 We win three nil and people start carping about the "quality" of the opposition.

Out of their last six matches away from home Orient have drawn three and lost three by the odd goal. So this game was never going to be a pushover.

Sutton who we beat on Tuesday are now top of the league. Some people are never happy.
That made I laugh 😂
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Don't think it's case of some just never being happy ( made me laugh also ) for me it's about being as honest with what I've/we've seen as possible. Whilst that was a fantastic result, a great way to end the week in which 6 points and no goals conceded has put us right back in the fight, there just needs to be a slight precautionary note added to yesterday.

Before to many start popping the Champaign corks, Orient's performance yesterday was abysmal we can't get away from that fact, that's not in any trying to take the shine of our won performance, some of the credit for Orient performance belongs to our team, they never gave the O's a chance to recover from their sluggish start, our team kept shutting them down, never giving them time or space to play, however at no time did Orient try and force their way into the game, in fact you could after the second goal went a number of their players gave up.

As said will celebrate a very good week for us, can see the improvements in the team, both individually , that's why I mentioned Reid, McGinty, and Young, three player who look like they're going thrive under the new management, and collectively as a team, there has been a lot of work done, we can see it, but there's still a lot more required if we're going continue to climb out of the relegation zone.

After all, and Owers mentioned it himself, there were 3 chances missed, either through a poor final ball, and, or bad decision making, that were easier to score than our 2nd and 3rd goals. When your 3.0 up no one notices, or cares much, or forgives it, had the match been 0.0 think the mood would have very much different.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

You could see that they were sewing the seeds to improve the team and the better team selection now they are getting to know the players.
I have seen both games at Aldershot this season and the first game was under Nicholson and it was one of Owers early games but we gave a good account of ourselves the home game will be interesting just to see how far we've come. This is a tough league this year!

I have been quietly confident that the management team will lead us out of this mess.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

arcadia wrote: 26 Nov 2017, 21:19 This is a tough league this year!
Tough in the regard that seemingly everyone can beat anybody. The fact we went so long with just one win and weren't further adrift from the rest does say a lot, as does the fact that no team has averaged over 2 points a match. The team on top of the pile have taken just 39 from a possible 66 points which isn't exactly a fantastic record, but it's got them where they are. I don't think there are (m)any quality sides in this division this time around, and again I feel the fact we're just 4 points off despite winning just 4 out of 22 matches says a lot about the overall quality this season.

Onto Saturday - I wasn't there again but having seen the highlights I am impressed by how often we seemed to win the ball fairly high up the pitch. Players seem to have a clearer idea of reading the game and deciding when they have a better chance of winning it high up, and then they appear to work in packs to regain possession, much like the Klopp/Guardiola style of pressing. Obviously it's early days but if we can really master this then I feel we'll be extremely comfortable in terms of a relegation battle as some teams will not be able to cope with it, much like it appears Orient couldn't (or so it looked from the highlights anyway).

As before, we are still in the mire but things are looking a damn sight better now than they were seven days ago. As I allude to above, no side in this division is worth panicking over too much in terms of quality - if we nail our style and game we want to play then teams shouldn't enjoy coming down here much, and that will make a nice change from the last six years!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Keep hearing people say that there aren't really any good teams in the division. So we shouldn't have to be "good" to survive. We just have to be "not totally crap". When there's a dearth of skill around, other things like fitness and application come to the fore, and that seems to be where our recent success has been rooted. Leyton Orient being terrible or otherwise is not relevant; you can only beat what's in front of you (or not..as the case has been recently)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

just watched the highlights via my "new" BT Sport subscription (for the Ashes as well..... :@ )
anyway, thought the team looked good. three well taken goals. especially Luke's.......
Orient reminded me of us a short time ago - no idea how to pass to a teammate, no enthusiasm... they looked dire, but that's not to take anything away from the team as we made them look like that.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

portugull wrote: 25 Nov 2017, 22:00 Next Saturday will be a big test but beat Aldershot and we will then know the worst is truly behind us and we can actually look forward with some confidence to the rest of the season.
Aldershot are away to Bromley tomorrow night. IF they win, they will leapfrog to the top of the table so we may well be playing yet another top of the table side. What a crazy league this is this season. :(
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

portugull wrote: 25 Nov 2017, 22:00
Next Saturday will be a big test but beat Aldershot and we will then know the worst is truly behind us and we can actually look forward with some confidence to the rest of the season.
Will be an even greater test now they have gone top after tonight's result against Bromley. They will do their dam best not to lose to a team that's been anchored at the base of the division for most of the season.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

And we should be doing our dam best to beat a team at the top of the table , they are no Lincoln and certainly
beatable , Gary Owers will have watched them last night and has seen them already against us
Will be tough but we are well capable of winning this by the odd goal if we produce a 90 minute
performance like last saturday
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Trojan 67 wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 22:31 Will be an even greater test now they have gone top after tonight's result against Bromley. They will do their dam best not to lose to a team that's been anchored at the base of the division for most of the season.
Why would they try harder just because they are top of the league?

They had a player sent off last night so that should help us.