Sutton united V Torquay United 21/11/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Great win , onwards and upwards....3 points and 120 quid better off and with a day off work tomorrow another huge brandy is in the offering

Surperb all round
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Played a striker up front and he scored, job done
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

After three disastrous defeats this was a massive result. I am not convinced there are any good teams in this league. Got to hand it to Owers - seems like a decent signing. Can't say I am convinced about Gowling in any case.

Only seven points from safety and the team immediately above the bottom four is Leyton Orient so a big game on Saturday. Incidentally they had a player sent off tonight.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Good win tonight.

Well done to all the players AND Owers and Kuhl.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

brucie wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 21:43 Owers gets stick for signing a centre half....and we keep a clean sheet.
And won the game.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes another Tuesday night away win, great win, but will mean nothing if isn't followed up with a result Saturday.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If Owers can get a couple of strikers in this week he needs to send some of the loanees back - Evans and maybe one or two others
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

forevertufc wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 21:58 Yes another Tuesday night away win, great win, but will mean nothing if isn't followed up with a result Saturday.
:-D :nod:

We really need to win the next 3 home games to seriously consider that we have a chance of staying up this season.

Let's hope the new strikers are in before Sat and have an immediate impact.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

The need for strikers is as needed as much as it is anytime. Don't think tonight's great results changes much but it will no harm for Keating and the rest of the team this result. Install some belief im sure
Now let's get fired up for Saturday's trips from ding a lings bunch from east London and see the first double win of the season.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Well what do I know about it! Great win, much needed. Agree we need to follow up with another on Saturday. Unfortunately I'll miss this one.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Just got in

Bloody terrible traffic getting there.

Ground, mmmmmmm shite

Burger good.

Bar was friendly, chatted to some home supporters. I told them they would win easily lol

Didn't enjoy the game much, too bloody tense at the end to enjoy it. They were the better team overall and have one or 2 good players for this league.

BUT WE WON and that's all that counts really.

We were ok, especially as we were away and playing a team near the top.

The team worked its socks off, got to say that. The loose ball always seemed to go to them, Sutton looked a tad sharper to me and I'm not saying we didn't try, because we did, but I think mentally as a group they were quicker, a bit more intelligent with the ball and more precise when they got it.

But its a bloody big well done to every player out there after some demoralising results.
TUST MEMBER
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

MellowYellow wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 19:44
Unless, of course, you are a believer of Torquay's sacred 'Book of Proverbs' {23:2}
"We're tarred with this 'we're bottom of the league, we're rubbish'. Well, we're not rubbish any more - we're getting there,"
Dam! I have to now become a follower of the sacred Sanskrit teachings of the Supreme Krishna - Gary Owers :whistle:
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Neal wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 23:26 Didn't enjoy the game much, too bloody tense at the end to enjoy it. They were the better team overall and have one or 2 good players for this league. BUT WE WON and that's all that counts really. We were ok, especially as we were away and playing a team near the top.

The team worked its socks off, got to say that. The loose ball always seemed to go to them.......
...and that was achieved by a hard work ethic and tin hat mentality inspired by Davey that you just don't see from Gowling ~ who doesn't 'do' 3G does he.

I don't know what you saw in Sutton and the way that they played; that route one shit went out with the ark; almost as if they were aiming for possession from the knockdown. To counter that Dorel commanded properly in a fashion that we never used to see from Moore last season; insisting that his back three played a high line so that those balls in either came straight into his hands or were headed clear from at least twenty yards out.

The goal was a classic in simplicity with Reid on the break arrowing a perfectly placed invitation for Keating to score with an accomplished cushion header ~ so easy to put those over the bar!

Lathrope did all the muck and nettles stuff so vital to keep the opposition at bay and the two wingbacks got forward with purpose albeit from a little deeper starting position tonight as Owers had been sensible enough to set the team up to act as a sponge to the home side unbeaten for nine games coming into this one.

Young had a good game tonight, working hard box to box and using the 'pace' of the pitch and the game to consistently turn the Sutton defence with splitting passes.

A word for McQuoid; much parodied on here and elsewhere in rather obsessive fashion: his shift tonight was immense and instrumental in a lot of turned over possession and running off the ball to create room for others.......an essential ingredient when setting a side up in this manner.

I sat there and then left the ground feeling Owers and Kuhl had 'done a job' on Doswell and Baird tonight; a satisfaction similar to that when leaving Ebbsfleet the other week and mentally thanking the home supporters for chanting 'United-United' all night! :scarf:

By the way; dashing away at the final whistle to catch the 9.50 next door; we were horrified to have to leave the ground through a turnstile rather than an open gate as the steward who normally does the honours could not be found, and that after them running out of cheese for the cheeseburgers, not having any pies since Saturday and various other food shortages in and around the ever increasingly ramshackle social club at 'The Gander' it left one appreciating more sophisticated but less friendly grounds.

You get a certain sense of satisfaction buggering off with the points after a performance like that!
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

You may well have covered this off but am I the only person that doesn't think that 'Gowling' fits into the TUFC matchday team. I think he is singularly potentially one of the best players that we have but in our current team I find him uninspiring, he is quite slow, cumbersome and his marking is distant at times. Then we all blame the other players. Anyway just my opinion. Great win last night.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

brucie wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 21:55 After three disastrous defeats this was a massive result. I am not convinced there are any good teams in this league. Got to hand it to Owers - seems like a decent signing. Can't say I am convinced about Gowling in any case.

Only seven points from safety and the team immediately above the bottom four is Leyton Orient so a big game on Saturday. Incidentally they had a player sent off tonight.
I totally agree on Gowling... he shows glimpses of a good player but then his work rate and cohesion with the team is almost void.