Torquay United v Maidstone United 11/11/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Dazza wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 18:06 Football is about scoring goals. We don't have the personnel to do that.
I agree with you. But decent strikers cost £1000-1500 a week in wages, even at our level, the club currents owners are not going fund that, yes the club could take a punt on a lad from two leagues below, but it would be a punt.

So we have to find another way, the fact the team didn't score today wasn't down to any lack of effort, or good play.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I agree with Forever’s assessment. I felt very sorry for the players at the end of this game, most of them gave everything and more. Thought we outplayed Maidstone in the second half and for the first twenty minutes of the game, but clearly we are missing that finishing touch and quality in front of goal. Maidstone’s keeper was outstanding, saved them more than once. I hear it said that luck evens out over a season, in which case we are due a lot of luck from now on.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yorkieandy wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 17:23 Phoenix club lads. It's the only way to ensure football in Torquay. :-D

Maybe after next weeks defeat it will become clearer. :scarf:
Problem is Andy, and I've posted it few times, and this is the one time I can actually say, I'm 100 % right. A phoenix club will NOT work with out the retention of Plainmoor, unless we're happy to commit to nothing better than a Western league club, there's no other ground that would allow our football club to recover like so many others have.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I watched United's under 16's before the first team played at Torquay Academy they beat Portsmouth 7-2.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Don't think it's about happy clappers accepting another defeat. Today we've lost another game, we've lost a game the team needed to win and should have won, trust me I would love to have come on forum today and launched a tirade of criticism, but it's about being honest with what I've/we've seen, today despite all the team don't deserve it.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I would rather take a punt on a striker from the Nat South who scores goals than do what Owers did today
second half
What on earth is Myrie -Williams still doing here? Absolutely useless. McQuoid obviously can play but has
shown very little so far . Owers clearly doesnt like Keating. The honeymoon period is well and truly over,
hopefully they will turn in around in the long run, but I expected a little more in terms of results with a change in
management. 10 games 2 wins 2 draws 6 defeat, 4 at home without scoring, 7 goals in ten games, take away
the freak result against late comers Maidenhead and its 3 goals in 9 games ! Pity Dave Caldwell didnt stay
on the pitch for the second half, he would have made sure he got on the end of some of those crosses
We need some physical presence and guts in there, not saying we didnt play well second half but
Maidstone wanted to get the ball away from all those crosses more than we wanted to put it in the net
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

To all those fans not at the game we did not deserve to lose this match.
We had 75% of the play and Maidstone scored a good free kick with their only real shot on target.
The players gave their all but at present we simply cannot bury the decent chances we create.
McQuoid really should have scored when one on one with the keeper who was their MOTM.
We have now lost 3 consecutive home games without scoring.
We are dominating games but as we all know we need a predator in the 6 yard box to put away the half chances.
I still see little improvement at set pieces. We are very predictable when we earn a corner. No imagination. Always the same. No variation.
How many goals have we scored this season from a corner?
Fortunately nearly all the bottom 6 lost and Orient are 2-0 down at Ebbsfleet but our situation is getting critical.
I gather Nicho was at Plainmoor today.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

So was Hererra .
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I wasn't there but from what I've read (and saw at Ebbsfleet) things seem significantly better than they were. Results aren't as bad, there seems to be some spirit but what's lacking is the ability to score goals. Six points from safety isn't insurmountable (we've come back from worse in the last two seasons) and there is hope.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

arcadia wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 18:57 So was Hererra .
Myre Williams did ok today probably his best game for us as he put the effort in.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

We may have dominated and huffed and puffed but we were clueless.
Maidstone won't have an easier away win all season.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

arcadia wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 19:28 Myre Williams did ok today probably his best game for us as he put the effort in.
I am sorry but what game were you watching today?

MW did nothing when he came on

Flatters to deceive, he nearly even bottled the challenge to pass to set up McQuiods shocking miss
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 19:35 I am sorry but what game were you watching today?

MW did nothing when he came on

Flatters to deceive, he nearly even bottled the challenge to pass to set up McQuiods shocking miss
I could say the same to you. :lol:
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Your attempt at comedy is on par with MW footballing abilities.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I thought the team played very well today and with a bit of luck or a more decisive striker, we would have won comfortably. Maidstone were probably very relieved to leave Plainmoor with 3 points and get up the M5 ASAP.

Some very strange posts on here this evening but probably none more so than Lucy expecting to know the intimate details of every players personal life. Modern culture eh?

Things will change and if we keep playing like that today, it will only be matter of time. My only criticism is that there were occasions when the player in possession should have shot but hessitated on the ball and opportunities were lost. Take a shot, take a chance, you just might score.

Final point. Their goalkeeper had an inspired afternoon and despite his play acting, he did keep everything out.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.