Torquay United v Maidstone United 11/11/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Would we have done any worse with Kevin Nicholson ?
If we are playing better or not the results don't speak well. I've seen two matches with Gary owers in charge and felt positive about performance but results have not been good.
Do GI if they are serious about running a football club need to do more ?
I'm playing devils adovact more than anything.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I personally think we ARE playing better since Nicholson. The players seem to have a pattern of play and attack in pairs down the flanks. That was nowhere near the case under KN. We may not be winning games yet but we're at least creating chances and that wasn't happening.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Agree with that. There is a system and style of play. Just maybe somewhere there will be a rich run of form. I'm not worried about relegation yet but we do need a run of good results.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Your right early shots are the ones that catch the opposition out. We can't make our minds up or pass.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 18:09 McQuoid should have been subbed off for his horrific miss when through on goal! Keating did more than him in his usual late cameo
Unless or until Gary Owers brings in a striker of some description, he has to persevere with Ruari Keating. Yes - he's going through a lean spell but his all-action game and determination will create goals and he'll start scoring again. Kuhl is supposed to be this great coach - okay, let's see what he can do.

If anyone thinks that McQuoid or Murphy are going to get us out of this mess, they are delusional. Might just as well send the pair of them back to their parent clubs now rather than wait for the three months loan period to come to an end.
haz316
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: elliot benyon

Post by haz316 »

I blame mick mcarthy.where would we be if ipswich hadnt come in for keiffer moore and he did sign for us?
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Realistically and after taking off the rose tinted spectacles, how close was he to really signing for us? It would have been a massive mistake for Moores career and this has been proved by the fact he's scoring at a much higher level, including one today for Rotherham at Doncaster.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Today confirmed Mc Quoid is past his best. Send him back to Luton and try somebody else.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Wasn’t there today so can’t truly comment, but from the games I’ve seen Murphy gets a bit of a disservice on here. I don’t think it’s coincidental that after a run of improving form, the games he misses turn into disappointing defeats.

Yes the goal return is poor, but I think his movement and “putting himself about” creates opening for others. Namely Reid.

Keating, from what I’ve seen, is all action but limited technical ability. It’s great that he runs about a lot, but there doesn’t seem to be any purpose to what he’s doing.

I wonder who the trialists were - I hope they were “the answer!”
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Another three points thrown away today against a team who were, quite frankly, clueless except for a well-taken free kick.

Actually, even then we conspired to make it easy for the scorer. Sitting behind him before he took the kick I commented on the inadequacy of the "wall" - both in terms of numbers and positioning. It might as well not have been there for all the protection it gave to Dorel.

Yes, the second half was an improvement but how many games this season have seen us play only one half of committed football. I don't believe in any home game this season have we shown spirit throughout the 90 mins. Unfortunately, teams know that only have to sneak one goal and they can close the game down and take all three points.

If only we could win ugly like Maidstone did today. Unfortunately, we can't and are looking more and more like certainties for relegation.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
GullsGulls
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by GullsGulls »

Completely agree reference the wall. I was sat on the kickers side and thought he needed either another player in the wall or it shifted half a yard over. My 9 year old could have scored that one.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I think we have been 'let off the hook' today with all the other bottom clubs losing. I agree with most others on improvement in style of play etc. but we must convert that into wins. One or two have stated 'give it time' so lets do that. We have 8 games leading up to the New Year and the points we gain and position in the league were at, will be the telling point in what lays ahead. At that point we will either be singing praises or mud-slinging. Our results suggest the latter but I shall try and remain optimistic until then.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Yorkieandy wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 17:23 Phoenix club lads. It's the only way to ensure football in Torquay. :-D

Maybe after next weeks defeat it will become clearer. :scarf:
Why next week? Even if we do lose? The only clear thing at the moment is that we need a striker that will convert chances something we don't have in the current squad. Why the need to revel in our current despair
Lucy
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Wake up and smell the coffee.
We are a team of mainly Conference South players managed by a very average Conference South management team
If KN and RH were there I bet they were thinking that they could have done better than the current incumbents who despite their huffing and puffing on the touch line couldn't find a way to blow Maidstone's house down.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Modgull wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 23:28 Another three points thrown away today against a team who were, quite frankly, clueless except for a well-taken free kick.

Actually, even then we conspired to make it easy for the scorer. Sitting behind him before he took the kick I commented on the inadequacy of the "wall" - both in terms of numbers and positioning. It might as well not have been there for all the protection it gave to Dorel.

Yes, the second half was an improvement but how many games this season have seen us play only one half of committed football. I don't believe in any home game this season have we shown spirit throughout the 90 mins. Unfortunately, teams know that only have to sneak one goal and they can close the game down and take all three points.

If only we could win ugly like Maidstone did today. Unfortunately, we can't and are looking more and more like certainties for relegation.
Phil, it's the keepers job to set the wall out so if he didn't receive any protection that's down to him, nobody else.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com