Torquay v Hartlepool 28/10/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Time wasting is part of the professional game where so much money is involved in addition to the players and managers jobs. If our players were a bit more switched on we could have had a few more points on the board. :keepie:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

A lot of debating on this thread. It's the nature of forums : mass debating. :nod:

Who's the w*nker? ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 14:13 Lampards goal was a matter of fact and that now on the bigger stages won't happen again , or shouldn't do. But I can not get my head around reviewing challenges and someone feigning injury. These things are debated for and against in the aftermath of a game and still on occasions are left open for debate. Rugby union a sport I also enjoy and follow has the review system and I can't say I'm keen on it myself. Someone breaks a gut for a try only for a marginal offside or knock on. Time wasting for me is no problem , if I was playing in a match and 1 -0 up , why would I want to rush and take a throw in quick. The other team should be getting that ball back and making the difference. Pretending to be injured they often have to go off the pitch now if treated. Ref I assume with the Minimum add on time can allow for certain things. Let's see the team losing make the difference instead of impeding the team winning. Obviously time wasting with ball on corner is tactical and not time wasting.
Just my opinion. Leave it be, I will add goal line technology is great and it affects nothing apart from a goal given when it should and promote the game to keep flowing.
No no no west Yorkshire ! My apologies . By challenges I don't mean a tackle or foul I mean the challenges allowed in tennis tournaments.
I can't agree with you on the acceptance or time wasting though. It is in its inherent nature unsporting conduct and has no place in any sport . If it was supposed to be part of the game we could well have players rolling around on floor for 45 minutes each half with no sanction at all.
But we have different opinions on the matter , but isn't it nice that neither i or you choose to throw personal insults at one another because of it ?
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Agreed we all have our own opinion. For me it's just not a issue. I am talking more tactical time wasting. Keep possision, corner flag stuff. Player feigning injury is a joke and quite simply ref should be adding more time on for that anyway.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

And another annoying thing about Hartlepool. All the hipster beards in the team. When I was a lad only Derek Hales had a beard, and that was ok because it suited him.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

A lot of the time wasting started in the fifties with Don Revie 's Leeds United and it caught on then, it was professional to do this and it became part of the sport. If you've been involved with this way you tend to side with it as in the professional game it's all about winning and looking at some games it must be in the coaches handbook.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Football is not alone in time management in order to retain the ascendency; cricket captains using fast bowlers to keep the over rate down, tennis players taking longer to get their serves in and thus take the momentum out of the game they are ahead in are just two examples and there are many more.

Competitors in a cycle race or in longer distance athletic events hitting the front and slowing the pace; jockeys doing it in a horse race etc, etc.......it's part of the mechanics of game management and the secret is to get ahead and not behind and thus have the controlling factor within your grasp.

Torquay United have just slowed the 'over rate' down by not attempting to fill a blank Saturday by bringing a midweek game forward to allow the manager more time to recruit and programme his players to doing thing his way and not in the manner of the old manager; I've not seen anyone complaining about that on here.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

merse btpir wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 11:20 Football is not alone in time management in order to retain the ascendency; cricket captains using fast bowlers to keep the over rate down, tennis players taking longer to get their serves in and thus take the momentum out of the game they are ahead in are just two examples and there are many more.

Competitors in a cycle race or in longer distance athletic events hitting the front and slowing the pace; jockeys doing it in a horse race etc, etc.......it's part of the mechanics of game management and the secret is to get ahead and not behind and thus have the controlling factor within your grasp.

Torquay United have just slowed the 'over rate' down by not attempting to fill a blank Saturday by bringing a midweek game forward to allow the manager more time to recruit and programme his players to doing thing his way and not in the manner of the old manager; I've not seen anyone complaining about that on here.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

merse btpir wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 11:20 Football is not alone in time management in order to retain the ascendency; cricket captains using fast bowlers to keep the over rate down, tennis players taking longer to get their serves in and thus take the momentum out of the game they are ahead in are just two examples and there are many more.

Time management is not quite the same as time wasting and your cricket example is a poor one in that slow over rates can be penalised with various sanctions, which would indicate that they are regarded by the cricket authorities as being a breach of cricket laws, as Middlesex have recently discovered.
Good effort at denigrating Nicholson again but did you check which midweek fixture Torquay could actually have brought forward? It is unlikely that either Sutton or Woking would have postponed an FA Cup tie just to accommodate a Gulls wish to fill a blank weekend and it is improbable that Eastleigh would wish to sacrifice a Boxing Day or New Years Day encounter. Similarly Chester may just consider a Good Friday home gate to be potentially more lucrative than the first Saturday in November. That only leaves .... Gateshead. I would think that travelling to Torquay midweek in the middle of December would not superficially seem to be the most attractive proposition for Gateshead so maybe Torquay feel that their best chance of a win would be not to change the fixture date: more to do with the effects of logistics than our new magnificent management messiah and his point a game team. Is it just your interpretation or did Gary and the gang specifically tell you that they had kept this Saturday free for the reasons that you state?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Eastleigh at home is the stand out (and only) opportunity and who really welcomes a game on New Years' Day and it is not an attempt to denigrate Nicholson who has gone and needs to be moved on from by way of improved fitness levels, organisation and concentration for ninety minutes asap!

I've not had a go at the club for leaving the weekend blank because I see the reasons; but again you choose to grab an opportunity to manufacture some sort of issue over it.

Gateshead have an FA Cup tie this weekend by the way; so you're not so smart.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Didn't know you can move games like that. I quite like a game on new years day and like a lot of people I work unsociable hours and it's day off that's a given. Guess could arrange a friendly or something if that's deemed to be for our benefit. Bleeding shame we are not in fa cup that would have been fantastic.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

merse btpir wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 14:11 Eastleigh at home is the stand out (and only) opportunity and who really welcomes a game on New Years' Day and it is not an attempt to denigrate Nicholson who has gone and needs to be moved on from by way of improved fitness levels, organisation and concentration for ninety minutes asap!

I've not had a go at the club for leaving the weekend blank because I see the reasons; but again you choose to grab an opportunity to manufacture some sort of issue over it.

Gateshead have an FA Cup tie this weekend by the way; so you're not so smart.
The point is that the failure to move a fixture to the weekend has nothing to do with the reason that you gave, so why credit the management for something that has nothing to do with them?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

You have a problem with the management already then?
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Time wasting, refs interpretation of the laws of the game, etc . . .

As no one has seen the gert big Wooly Mammoth in the china shop, o' Sabre Toof will give all a field insight:

If I wanted to see WWE/grabs,locks,chokes,holds and throws, I'd attend real wrestling/martial arts events.

Our players have been wrestled to the ground/rugby tackled in the box and eff all given. McGinty goes Union/League on a player and the result is history. Where's the "consistency"?

This insidious aspect of play can be stopped dead in its tracks but, snowflakes at the FA lack intestinal fortitude (guts). :@
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

I went to Crewe away on a Friday night in late 80's, when the mighty Cyril was manager. He practically instructed his defence to pass back to the keeper for over 20 minutes in the second half(when keeper could hold ball from his team mate) the Crewe faithful went wild, but us Torquay fans loved it. Score was 0-0. It was hilarious. I think in modern football you have the right to time waste if you have put yourself in a position to afford to time waste! Maybe if the current team had employed this tactic against guiesley, barrow, Chester etc etc etc we would be comfortable in mid table
Lucy