Torquay v Hartlepool 28/10/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Soupdragon wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 08:02
I'm assuming there was a tongue firmly in cheek there ...... because they're all going to have to have pull their collective fingers out of their jacksies - management included - and put in a huge amount of effort to get us out of this mess. This is a results-based business. You lot fawn all you like; I remain unconvinced.
If an individual (whilst remaining at the club under new management) persists in failings that he showed previously under an old manager; then he needs to be replaced and moved on. If any player brought in fails to provide a better level of service than those he was brought to improve on; then he too needs to be replaced asap!

Those who fail to close down and prevent crosses are the first priority I would venture to suggest and if intelligence is correct, then moves are afoot to address that immediate problem.

If players can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo then they too need to give way to someone who might.

If midfielders who are required to influence games from first whistle to last habitually fade away; then they too must be allowed to do just that and be disposed of........no stone can be left unturned to avoid what be a ruinous relegation!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I had a think about the game.

I don't think Hartlepool changed anything.

I also think that first half was one of the best displays I have seen for a long while. The second half was unfortunate in some ways, like I said the start was disrupted by some injuries, and by the way the long one where the Hartlepool player had an issue with his nose was not time wasting, he was injured.

Hartlepool didn't really do much until the goal which was well executed, could the goalkeeper do better, probably but that's easy to say.

The second goal wasn't a "massive" deflection as I was right behind it, but it was enough to beat the keeper, so that was very fortunate. After that and what the players have been through you couldn't expect much else, they lost their rhythm but didn't give up.

Hartlepool are a poor side, yes they can defend and disrupt play etc quite well, and as soon as they got their noses in front they felt comfortable and gained some confidence.

Dowling was very good, very impressed, accurate passing, eager, could run with the ball. Got a good future in football that lad if he can keep that up. I would definitely start him.

Look, can we get out of it, who knows, there has been an improvement, and with some luck we might do it. But the key will be keeping the players positive and confident, which is VERY VERY hard when things keep going against you.
TUST MEMBER
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

From all accounts it seems that we are continually struggling to convert chances into goals.

I think Murphy has the ability to net a few for us if we can keep him but I think he needs the right man alongside him.

Can Pittman fulfil this role? Has he played alongside Murphy yet?

Reid is still developing and deserves the chance to prove himself when the opportunities arise but if we are serious about moving up the table then we need a proven goal scorer alongside Murphy OR a top talent from the underlings of a Premiership or Championship side who needs to get some competitive games played under their belt.

It seems we have a quality attacking midfield player in Dowling who surely has to feature from the outset in the next game?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Neal wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 08:38 I don't think Hartlepool changed anything.
I also think that first half was one of the best displays I have seen for a long while.
Look, can we get out of it, who knows, there has been an improvement, and with some luck we might do it. But the key will be keeping the players positive and confident, which is VERY VERY hard when things keep going against you.
Well I've seen enough at Dagenham, Aldershot in the cup and certainly Ebbsfleet to see a shape, pattern of passing and moving the ball more accurately and quickly that contrasts sharply with the shambles I saw at home to Boreham Wood and at Woking.

What I keep seeing though is a fading of the midfield dominance through a game as it progresses and this could indeed call out for more inclusion of Dowling. I keep seeing too the tendency of Higgins to prevent crosses; the failure to hit the target from Murphy and McQuoid and what a vast difference taking the lead means to the collective unit in contrast to what going a goal behind does. Classic signs of confidence and non-confidence I would suggest; classic signs of belief and lack of belief.

Fitness levels, energy, pressing, playing a high line and tempo of play are now vastly improved on the rubbish standards that were previously evident and the inclusion of Efete and Gowling has encouraged the previously agricultural McGinty to at least try and emulate them to the all round benefit of the quality of play.

Dragging a struggling side stranded at the foot of the table was never going to be an easy exercise nor a journey without a significant numbers of steps back amongst the strides forward. They have been at the bottom for good reasons and those reasons aren't all going to go away overnight. It is (as they say) a marathon and not a sprint.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

Thought the ref had a good game!!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I agree with merse we have seen significant improvements EXCEPT in the goal scoring department.

We really should have been out of sight by half time. We need a good striker who will put away the numerous chances we keep missing.

Look at Guiseley. Since Paul Cox arrived they have gone full time.He signed a guy called Carl Liburd who has scored 3 in 3 because Cox knew scoring was the problem.
Liburd scored 22 goals for Billericay Town which got him a contract at Reading. Last year Stevenage signed him and he is being developed with a succession of loans. 6' 3' tall and with an unusual background of a 4 year scholarship in Football in USA.
I am sure Gary Owers has some young , hungry strikers in mind because for me Keating proved yesterday he is not good enough at this level. We may be non league but it is still 5th tier and you need the right standard because there are no easy games.
One good goalscorer will transform this side.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Bert wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 10:29 Thought the ref had a good game!!
Apart from his failure to deal with the gamesmanship and blatant timewaśting I’d agree with you. During one substitution he allowed the player being substituted to walk AWAY from the touchline, then slowly turn round, have a chat to two team-mates and meander slowly off, taking at least two minutes to be replaced. He also allowed an irritating little ponce on the Hartlepool bench to pick up the ball TWICE and throw it away in the opposite direction from the Gulls player taking a throw in.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

but compared to most of the refs we have had this season
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

merse btpir wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 08:25Those who fail to close down and prevent crosses are the first priority I would venture to suggest and if intelligence is correct, then moves are afoot to address that immediate problem.
Been calling for Higgins to be dropped for over a month now and it seems his failings were at fault for the first goal again. I would suggest the answer is already in the building in Jordan Lee - him and Davis on either side would be as good as we can get in our current situation.

Signing a striker is an obvious move, always easier said than done. Could Pittman thrive in this system when fit?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

'Hartlepool are a poor side' - Neal
I wish we were that poor, 1 defeat in 12 including 8 wins
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Good match management and hence points gathering are often misinterpreted by disappointed home fans when their side has fallen to a business like performance from the away team.

Hence the oft made statement that so & so FC are a poor side, this is a poor league etc, etc.

This league is what it is. It is not the English Football League, nor (of course) the Premier League. It is the top level of 'non-league' football with only one automatic promotion place available to whoever wins it. The sooner that Torquay United, their fans and those of other former and fallen Football League sides recognise that; the better it will be for all of them!
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

I also thought the ref was pretty good as well. He was continually talking to the players (which I think is a positive thing) and not one of these aloof officials who you are not allowed to say a word to. Every team, including us, if we are winning! will ‘waste time’ and I actually think he did ok with the substitutions in one case actually walking the player off!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Think it's unfair on both Hartlepool and TUFC to describe, Hartlepool as a poor side. I can't add much to what's already been said, think great credit in the first instance goes to our team, for the way they started the match, back line solid, a lot of purpose and intent about our attacking play, actually made it very difficult for Hartlepool, TUFC had by far the greater possession, and goal scoring opportunities, in the first half.

Think it's now some way beyond obvious where our problem lies, we are very lightweight up front, and this problem must be fixed prior the Christmas fixtures. It still is not to late, but it soon will be if nothing changes in terms of converting goal scoring chances.

Hartlepool clearly had the more productive half time break, they looked a much more solid team after the break, nullified our attacking threats, and you could see the confidence begin to drain away from our team, and some of those old uncertainties creep back into our play.

First goal, appalling from our point of view, bit harsh to critize the second, took a deflection, only reason it went in.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I agree that Hartlepool are not a poor side, how could they be? I described them as ‘less than impressive’, which I stick to, as they have the entertainment value of a five hour slug race. Of course, they are effective, they win games that they really don’t deserve to, I wish that we could do that.

Regarding the ref, I agree that he was one of the better officials I have seen this season. My frustration was in seeing no action taken when time wasting was so blatant. Horrible team are Hartlepool, can’t say I wish them well.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

It might help us to score if we gambled enough to have more than one or two players in the opposition penalty area when attacking. It might also help if we were less static in the penalty box waiting for a hopeful cross in the air (who have we got who is going to plant a firm header in the net anyway?)- if we play two up front why is one of them not making a run to the near post for a possible tap-in on the deck? Against Maidenhead we were buzzing with movement and teamwork; against Dover and Hartlepool we have been static for throws-in and have thereby wasted both possession and attacking intent. Basic stuff really.
Btw, I thought Myrie-Williams did well at stand-in fullback, both defending and supporting the attack, but like the rest of the team became more anonymous in the second half as out teamwork and passing disintegrated.