Ebbsfleet United v Torquay united 24/10/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Glostergull wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 22:05 just as an aside. whats happened to John Paul Pittman?
It was his birthday today.
still injured.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Very important result tonight not only 3 priceless points but a massive boost to player confidence.
A huge pat on the back to Gary Owers and Martin Kuhl who are showing just how valuable experience is in Football Management. These two guys are showing even the most cynical fans that they really know what they are doing.
The players now "get it" as Gary said after the Halifax match and I am looking forward to Saturday when I hope we get 2,000 plus for the visit of Hartlepool United.
The last 7 League games have seen us concede just 6 goals compared to 23 in the first 10 games.
Apart from Dover we have had 2 clean sheets and 4 games were we conceded only 1 goal.
With player confidence goals should follow and Jamie Reid must be buzzing now he is in a more central role.COYY.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

United62 wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 11:42 NIce local game for me and junior.... the optimist in me is going for a scrappy 1-0 win. The pessimist, 7-0 drubbing.
I should be more optimistic more often. Far from scrappy and a well-deserved win.

Just gotta get a decent run going and pull away from the bottom four.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

portugull wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 22:46 A huge pat on the back to Gary Owers and Martin Kuhl who are showing just how valuable experience is in Football Management. These two guys are showing even the most cynical fans that they really know what they are doing. The players now "get it" as Gary said after the Halifax match
Sat right behind those two tonight and yes; they do know what they are doing. It's got nothing to do with budget and everything to do with management ability, game management ability I might add and being able to read a game, take on the other manager tactically and come out on top.

The players are now able to compete on a level playing field being fitter, faster and quicker thinking whilst at the same time better organised and properly directed....it was a joy seeing first hand Darryl McMahon and the experienced Steve Gritt being out thought and out manoeuvred tonight!

A properly balanced side with players playing in positions and roles best suited to them and not to the dogma of a poor and out of date coaching team.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 21:24 no mate - wont be going to wrexham
Has your passport expired :na:
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

Glostergull wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 21:58 no it wouldn't. if we won we would then have 14 points. Chester already have 15. so another week yet
That would have been the case if Chester hadn't scored in 94th minute to win.
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

Wasn't there tonight but was at Halifax, so I can only envisage the same work rate, team work and commitment that I saw Saturday. Why the upturn in recent results?It has to be the man-management of the players for sure. We have a management duo that know what they are doing. Not many on here slagging them off. They are drilling the basics, playing a formation that suits the talent we have and playing players in the right position. This breeds confidence. Massive well done to them and the players. We are now a team that will compete. Can we avoid relegation, well based on the upturn we have every chance.
Lucy
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

lucy6lucy wrote: 25 Oct 2017, 02:35 Wasn't there tonight but was at Halifax, so I can only envisage the same work rate, team work and commitment that I saw Saturday. Why the upturn in recent results?It has to be the man-management of the players for sure. We have a management duo that know what they are doing. Not many on here slagging them off. They are drilling the basics, playing a formation that suits the talent we have and playing players in the right position. This breeds confidence. Massive well done to them and the players. We are now a team that will compete. Can we avoid relegation, well based on the upturn we have every chance.
:goodpost:
Maidstonegull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Sean McGinty

Post by Maidstonegull »

I was at the game last night and would reiterate what I said after Owers first game in charge, you have to get the basics right first and I saw the improvement in the basics again last night .
The team are improving every game now and I saw more confidence and composure all round last night .
Great to hear Ebbsfleet manager telling the truth , that we deserved to win . So , well done to the Manager 1st , then to the players who fought hard, ran hard and made better decisions on and off the ball . Every journey, no matter how difficult, starts with the first few steps . Great to see that we are making them in the right direction AND if we keep working, learning and fighting , the second thing the Ebbsfleet manager said will be right too .., “No way will they go down”.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Consummate away performance last night really. Never dominated, but worked exceptionally hard and were solid and organised.

Nobody can argue we didn’t deserve to win - we had maybe 3 or 4 clear cut chances, whereas the Home side only had the first half header from Kedwell and an incident in the second half where a free kick was whipped into the near post and a bit of a scramble ensued. I was convinced they’d scored (the net even rippled!), but somehow Dorel emerged carrying the ball. The Ebbsfleet fans seemed pretty disgruntled but with all the disallowed goals we’ve had this season maybe we deserved a marginal decision to go our way.

Davis was very lucky to stay on the pitch at the end - already on a (albeit harsh) Yellow, a clear body check left him on very thin ice. The ref had to call Gowling over for a word, which I assume was something along the lines of “your man here is on his final FINAL warning”. Actually thought the ref was OK last night, didn’t seem to make any glaringly bad decisions.

Still think we are missing something up front. Reid took his goal superbly - well worth a watch on the highlights - and was lively, but Murphy isn’t big enough to act as any kind of a target so we need to avoid trying to use him as one.

Thought McGinty should come in for some special praise, as he really seems to have upped his game. Still the occasional hopeful punt from the back, but all in all he kept a difficult customer in Kedwell quiet and looked very assured. I agree with the assertion that RWB is currently our weakest position - the Fleet went at Higgins and Efete during the first half and made some headway.

Still think we are a Work in progress, as we didn’t move the ball as well as Ebbsfleet did, looked a little panicked in possession and lacked a cutting edge up front. But this was a night and day improvement on one of my previous away trips to Aldershot this season, and encouraging signs are there
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

A deserved win. So much better organised and confident than a few weeks ago. Still lacking presence up front but didn’t look like a relegation team.

Last few minutes were a bit panicky. Need to do more than just hoof the ball back to opposition (at least put it out for a throw) and if taking it to corners (which I don’t like) keep it there for more than a few seconds. Little things need to be learned like asking the ref to get opposition players ten yards back, which helps keep the ball longer and wastes time.

Good support in the second half once the Ebbsfleet fans had gone up the other end. Whilst no segregation is good it doesn’t benefit the atmosphere if fans are spread out & mixed.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

lucy6lucy wrote: 25 Oct 2017, 02:17 Has your passport expired :na:
fortunately, yes. :P
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Jeff wrote: 25 Oct 2017, 08:31 .....and an incident in the second half where a free kick was whipped into the near post and a bit of a scramble ensued. I was convinced they’d scored (the net even rippled!), but somehow Dorel emerged carrying the ball. The Ebbsfleet fans seemed pretty disgruntled but with all the disallowed goals we’ve had this season maybe we deserved a marginal decision to go our way.
Davis was very lucky to stay on the pitch at the end - already on a (albeit harsh) Yellow, a clear body check left him on very thin ice. The ref had to call Gowling over for a word, which I assume was something along the lines of “your man here is on his final FINAL warning”. Actually thought the ref was OK last night, didn’t seem to make any glaringly bad decisions.
The net rippled because the Ebbsfleet number 8 collided with it. No-one can say the whole of the ball was over the whole of the line with any authority except (maybe) the linesman who's opinion was that it hadn't ~ that's the law of the game and that's football.

Davis was on a rather technical yellow card and I think that was in the excellent ref's mind when he committed that offence. I'm sure Davis knew that and I'm pleased to see he was prepared to 'take one for the team' because it was imperative to stop that run at that time.

Neil Hair gave a very assured and efficient refereeing performance last night; consistently talking to the players and seeking to keep the play moving by applying advantage wherever possible ~ I was impressed with him.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Need to follow this up with a performance and a win on saturday, no good winning last night and losing
on saturday, wont be easy though , Hartlepool have lost only 1 of their last 11 games winning 6
Still worry about our lack of goal attempts, need more of those from Murphy and Mcquoid
A couple of wins in succession and 6 points can make the table look a lot better
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

Great win and much-needed. Wasn't there so no idea how debatable their free-kick scramble was but we've definitely been due a bit of luck.

On an amusing note, the Press Association's match reporter definitely isn't an Ebbsfleet season ticket holder...