FC Halifax Town v Torquay United, Match Day Thread, 21st October 2017

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

When you see Macclesfield sitting on the top of this league, you know this season is far from over. They were a average team when they played us but did do the basic's right and could play the ball on the deck, unlike poor Halifax, who's primary game play is route one. Not that I am discrediting Halifax, they are a fine club with good support and I am glad to see them back in the mix. Their previous club history of disaster was far worst than ours is currently.

Yes, we should have taken all 3 points on Saturday, but we can sit in comfort in acknowledging that we have taken 4 points out of a possible 9 over the last three games. Needless to say we must push on and keep the momentum going and if we can do this there is no reason why, by Christmas, talk on this board cannot be about a possible play off spot.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Comment from Gary Owers "they are starting to get me and Martin".
I have to say that I think we have in Owers and Kuhl a first rate management duo who are potentially the best we have had in a long long time.
The players are beginning to realise that these two guys understand what is needed and are implementing a plan and a system which is suited to the players we have.
Gary Owers believes the performance was the best since he arrived which means, given that we were away in poor weather conditions, we were better than against Maidenhead.
This team is about to click because the players respect the management who have the knowledge and experience to get the players looking forward to the next game because they can now see exactly what is expected from each and everyone of them.COYY
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

MellowYellow wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 14:15 When you see Macclesfield sitting on the top of this league, you know this season is far from over.
I completely agree with your comment re Macclesfield. I left the game four weeks ago wondering how the hell we lost to such a poor side. If Macclesfield are top the season is still wide open.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

tufcyellowarmy wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 11:20 Posters who resort to personal snipes such as suggesting someone may need help with maths or other sarcastic vernacular needs to have a look at themselves. Just remember there may be those that do have issues and would be offended. But I doubt you would care anyway by the sounds of it !
You're right : I don't care. There's very few with more 'issues' with maths than I have; I'm numerically dyslexic or innumerate to use the correct phraseology; can't remember phone numbers, entry codes PIN nos etc, etc and am mildly dyslexic too.

The thing is cocker; I'm not so bloody precious I cry foul when people make fun of it, just get on with life and carry on. I suggest others do too and they'd be a lot happier in life.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Good to hear we played well and well done everyone. :keepie:
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

arcadia wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 17:45 Good to hear we played well and well done everyone. :keepie:
Second that.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I agree with Mellow Yellow - it's still ALL to play for...
apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Gritton

Post by apgull »

Highlights here: http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/mat ... eos/117759

I wonder why they didn't show the penalty shout or goalkeeper's handball :}
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

apgull wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 23:02 Also hope the “handball” from their keeper is in the highlights because I’m keen to see it again. Certainly looked like he’d left his area. Wouldn’t have been a red though, as some are saying.
I thought all handballs outside the box by GKs were red cards? Or is it only if it denies a goalscoring chance?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

apgull wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 23:02Also hope the “handball” from their keeper is in the highlights because I’m keen to see it again. Certainly looked like he’d left his area. Wouldn’t have been a red though, as some are saying.
Well watch for yourselves:

Yes the keeper may have left the box, but did the whole of the ball cross the whole of the line? From that angle (which was also that of the majority of the Yellow Army) it cannot be accurately judged and I don't think the ref saw 'enough of that' to warrant a free kick and certainly the lino's angle was of no help to him either.

So I would say a lot of fuss about nothing and the usual trigger for linesman baiting and invective from those who reckon all match officials are idiots......try doing it yourselves and make decisions which all agree with given that you have one angle and others will have theirs!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Ex ref sticks up for officials. Shock, horror! They've never understood the game ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

I' m no more 'ex ref' than ex anything else ~ player or otherwise ~ it is the angle that any incident has to be viewed from that determines the interpretation.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Have to say in this case I agree with Merse. In general though there have been some very poor refs, Sam
Allison in particular who we have had several times. There are lots of good refs , the ones you dont really take
much notice of and dont get the crowd going
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

merse btpir wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 07:04 [highlight=yellow]Well watch for yourselves:[/highlight]

Yes the keeper may have left the box, but did the whole of the ball cross the whole of the line? From that angle (which was also that of the majority of the Yellow Army) it cannot be accurately judged and I don't think the ref saw 'enough of that' to warrant a free kick and certainly the lino's angle was of no help to him either.

So I would say a lot of fuss about nothing and the usual trigger for linesman baiting and invective from those who reckon all match officials are idiots......try doing it yourselves and make decisions which all agree with given that you have one angle and others will have theirs!
I suppose it ones of those where either teams fans would have wanted a free kick!
on the plus side, some of the play through the middle third was better than I recall, good pass and move, but the problem is - as we know - is that we need someone to stick the ball in the net!!!!!!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Gritton

Post by apgull »

merse btpir wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 07:04 Well watch for yourselves:

Cheers, Merse. (It's at about 1 minute 50 seconds if anyone wants to watch it for themselves.)

This is why I was keen to to see it again because there is no way any of us in the stand were 100%. I've watched it several times and nowhere near convinced he takes it over the line.

If anything I'm swaying toward the fact he did very well indeed to keep it in his area.