Torquay v Dover Saturday 7/10/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Four & a half weeks from appointment to final whistle on Saturday Sue...... ;-)

Agreed; THIS manager will not put up with the sort of disgraceful goals conceded on Saturday:
http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/mat ... eos/116863

The first from their goaly to the back of our net challenged with Higgins AND Davis both switched off ~ the latter with his back to his scoring opponent.

The second with a 'porky' flabby effort by an out of condition Luke Young in failing to shut down the runner ~ from his own free kick I might add ~ again from their goaly to the back of our net unchallenged and McGinty failing totally to put in a challenge for the cross........get a midfielder with more resolve than mummy's boy Young and a central defender with more than the singular brain cell of McGinty!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Shocking defending. I notice that Mcginty still seems to get the blame for everything but on that showing Gowling looked incapable of heading the ball.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Sounds like we are back to square one, then.

And now, 10 days with 3 consecutive away games - Aldershot in the cup, Halifax the following weekend and then Ebbsfleet on the Tuesday. Three very tough assignments which I'm not sure we'll get much out of.

All of a sudden we're looking extremely perilous again, and Tuesday's first half (which is all it was, really) could well look like a flash in the pan.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

brucie wrote: ↑
33 minutes ago
Shocking defending. I notice that Mcginty still seems to get the blame for everything but on that showing Gowling looked incapable of heading the ball.

That's certainly the case on the first goal and the first lapse; then Higgins shows no resolve at all to either get tight or stop the cross and God only knows what Davis is doing with his back to the (scoring) opponents. The management must have gone friggin' mental over that one!

The second goal; just as ineffectual from Gowling in the air and McGinty standing flat footed and crouching as the opponent gets a free header to score after Young's pathetic 'After You Claud' impersonation.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Yes, I agree on all counts with the last posting. From where I was standing both goals were ridicolously soft, no effort from the 'defenders' - the crowd's silence on both scoring occasions refected the sheer disbelief at what had happened. I posted earlier that Gallifuoco looked a class act for Dover and wondered why the hell we let him go. Which led me to thinking, why is it that ex-Gulls players always seem to do better when they leave us? This is not a recent development - I remember chatting to a mate on the Popside a few years ago now about why Leon Constantine was allowed to leave for a paltry sum - and then banged in loads of goals for his new club! Look at Billy Kee at Accrington, top scorer this season. Billy Bodin at Bristol Rovers. Brendon Moore at Rochdale - great understudy for Lillis in the eaerly part of the season. Williams at Bromley - another goal on Saturday. I could go on. There is a distinct lack of development of players at our club, not helped by not having a reserve team I feel.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Upon watching the highlights I have to say the defending for the two goals was nothing less than a half hearted, passionless disgrace. Both goals there were opportunities to routinely cut passes out, the cross for the first one especially.

I hope Owers went mental at them and then let Martin Kuhl off his lead.

That was the major difference between the teams on Saturday, we lacked bite and spark despite trying to play a bit of football but Dover showed desire, passion, defended aggressively and leapt upon any chance that presented, all the chances they had were more or less of Torquays own making.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Merse your comments about Young really are laughable, (mummys boy Young , whats that all about ?)
He was probably tiring a bit by then because he does all the running , tracking back and covering that the
other players should do, Lathrope and Evans for example who are rather casual at times shall we say. NOBODY
covers more ground in a match than Young, have you not noticed that he is voted MOTM in nearly every home game?
or are we all idiots. Dont make comments about players performances in games you have not seen, based on a
couple of highlights snippets, it makes you look silly. I will prefer to listen to Owers comments about Young not yours
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Personally dont hardly rate Young at all, unlike a lot of TUFC fans. I have seen some very bang average or even poor TUFC sides down the years where Young wouldnt have got near the starting line up. However he was our best player last Saturday and did show a fair bit of effort even if it was lacking in the build up to Dovers second goal. Young may just grow on me, you never know.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

chunkygull wrote: 09 Oct 2017, 15:35 Personally dont hardly rate Young at all, unlike a lot of TUFC fans. I have seen some very bang average or even poor TUFC sides down the years where Young wouldnt have got near the starting line up. However he was our best player last Saturday and did show a fair bit of effort even if it was lacking in the build up to Dovers second goal. Young may just grow on me, you never know.
Spot on. Young is the most over-rated player in the current very poor squad. He might excel in home games but he is usually anonymous in the majority of away games I've seen. His poor challenge in the build up to Dover's second goal reminded me of an equally poor challenge in the build up to one of Woking's goals earlier in the season.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

........thought it was just me that didn't think Youngy didn't live up to all the hype.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

I think the comments of others are making my point about Luke Young too........and I did stress 'away games' where there is no-one to give him cheap MOTM awards.

Let's face it even to stand out in the dross that been here since his arrival is to be merely a buttercup amongst the sheep shit.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I realise you are not one who highly rates Young, Merse. It is your current little obsession. I'm glad to say that it's up to managers to assess these things and if you are actually correct I am sure he will be dropped very very shortly so don't go fretting anymore about it.
Jacket8
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Durrell berry

Post by Jacket8 »

I’ve watched a few of Torquay’s games this season and the games that I’ve seen young has been outstanding, I’m sure the majority of people must think the same otherwise he wouldn’t be picking up man of the matches each week
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Perhaps all these comments are from people who know very little about the game but yes we've all got opinions. :O
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 09 Oct 2017, 19:53 I think the comments of others are making my point about Luke Young too........and I did stress 'away games' where there is no-one to give him cheap MOTM awards.

Let's face it even to stand out in the dross that been here since his arrival is to be merely a buttercup amongst the sheep shit.
Nobody else sees him as you do in calling him Mummy's Boy. Is that because he would rather stay local than travel away to pursue his football or are you privy to his intimate family life?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com