Torquay v Dover Saturday 7/10/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Thats a good one Chunky, I like that, yes, let Martin Kuhl off his lead !
I can only think that the players thought after the 4-0 on tuesday that they had cracked it and they only had
to turn up against Dover. Certainly was shocking defending and a lacklustre , passionless performance
- apart from Young of course !
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

You could be correct there. I said to my Dad on Saturday when we went 0-2 down that maybe they had got complacent. Yes Young was the only one who never stopped trying, I agree with that, apart from the one time which led to a goal. Dont get me wrong I dont want to not rate him, I really hope he proves me wrong, I badly want every player who pulls on a TUFC shirt to do well and it does add a bit extra that there are players from the region or who are local in the team.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

chunkygull wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 15:05 I said to my Dad on Saturday when we went 0-2 down that maybe they had got complacent.
Pure comedy gold there Chunky! The team well adrift at the bottom of the league has got complacent! ;-)
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Southampton Gull wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 01:14Nobody else sees him as you do in calling him Mummy's Boy. Is that because he would rather stay local than travel away to pursue his football or are you privy to his intimate family life?
My eight year old has more about him going in to win a ball than Young did leading up to that second goal; even if it's against his mum when she's stood at the cooker making his tea.

You don't have to take ball and man in those situations, but you do have to win the ball; no ifs and buts about it and in my book that's a 'mummy's boy' challenge!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

You always have to have a target Merse. It's a shame because you write some really informative stuff on occasions and it's well written. Then you go and blitz out malicious crap like this.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

How is that 'malicious'? Oh deary, deary me let's not hurt anyone's feelings but smile embarrassed as the ship goes down.

When you're bottom of the league you need men in the trenches not fairies who's challenges wouldn't get them out of a paper bag.......it's why the team is where it is!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

And you are the General whose homely advice will take us forward Merse. ? Malicious sideswipes never took anyone anywhere.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

This is a forum for differing points of view; that is mine. I do not post for the sake of boosting Luke Young's or anyone else's ego. You always seem to take the point of view that no-one must be critical, forums must be a cheerleading exercise and that nobody's feelings must be hurt.......I'll tell you what if any criticism of a players/team's performance actually led to them performing worse then they are in the wrong game!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

But you are basing your observations on seeing a few highlights and some away games in the south east
I have seen every home game that Young has played in 3 seasons here , bar 3 or 4 and I can tell you there are
plenty of tough manly, Merse Junior, or whatever you like to call them challenges in those games
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

I suggest there are times you post to look to pamper your own ego Merse. You can be really informative and that's great for all but all this 'look what a irreverent hard man I am ' stuff is just pathetic. You can make your points skilfully enough without it.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Yes Dazza :goodpost:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

merse btpir wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 19:28 This is a forum for differing points of view; that is mine. I do not post for the sake of boosting Luke Young's or anyone else's ego. You always seem to take the point of view that no-one must be critical, forums must be a cheerleading exercise and that nobody's feelings must be hurt.......I'll tell you what if any criticism of a players/team's performance actually led to them performing worse then they are in the wrong game!
You base your opinion on a player's performance on a short video clip when on Saturday you were 200 miles away from Plainmoor. Ridiculous and pathetic. Most fans who were actually at the match rated Luke Young as the Man of the Match by a country mile.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

I did say: "The second with a 'porky' flabby effort by an out of condition Luke Young in failing to shut down the runner ~ from his own free kick I might add ~ again from their goaly to the back of our net unchallenged and McGinty failing totally to put in a challenge for the cross........get a midfielder with more resolve...."

.......and I did add that my impressions of Young are gained from away matches; but that's not good enough for you is it. Are you trying to say that only those who are at the game can then comment on an Internet forum? There will be occasions (as there have been in the past) when I am at the game and you will not be. Will that preclude you from commenting?

Face facts; this team is bottom of the league and there are no world beaters within it's ranks. If you think that Young's 'contribution' to that second Dover goal from weak free kick through to an even weaker challenge and topped by an inability to catch the man with the ball is satisfactory then fine. You're easily pleased!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

In my view, Luke Young is one of the only players to emerge with any credit this season. Last season was his first having come back from a serious injury and yet he has always struck me as a player who does roll his sleeves up and almost carries the team at times. He cannot do much about the quality of players around him or the quality of management he has endured. The fact that he has not completely retreated into his shell is credit to him.
Jacket8
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Durrell berry

Post by Jacket8 »

hector wrote: 11 Oct 2017, 06:35 In my view, Luke Young is one of the only players to emerge with any credit this season. Last season was his first having come back from a serious injury and yet he has always struck me as a player who does roll his sleeves up and almost carries the team at times. He cannot do much about the quality of players around him or the quality of management he has endured. The fact that he has not completely retreated into his shell is credit to him.
:goodpost: