Torquay v Dover Saturday 7/10/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

"Get a midfielder with more resolve" ? ! This is getting funnier by the minute. If the rest of the players had the
same resolve as Luke Young we would not be anywhere near the bottom of the league
I think we are saying , dont comment on a players performance in a game if you havent seen that game
Ok you saw the highlights and fair enough to comment on that particular incident, Young and a few other
players should have done a lot better, but as I said he does a lot of the other players running, but on his
overall performance you cannot fault him in that game
I expect he will have a stinker now at Aldershot and you , presumably you will go, I wont be there, will
be able to have a field day slagging him off on Sunday !
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

merse btpir wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 23:22 I did say: "The second with a [glow=red]'porky' flabby effort by an out of condition Luke Young[/glow] in failing to shut down the runner ~ from his own free kick I might add ~ again from their goaly to the back of our net unchallenged and McGinty failing totally to put in a challenge for the cross........get a midfielder with more resolve...."

.......and I did add that my impressions of Young are gained from away matches; but that's not good enough for you is it. Are you trying to say that only those who are at the game can then comment on an Internet forum? There will be occasions (as there have been in the past) when I am at the game and you will not be. Will that preclude you from commenting?

Face facts; this team is bottom of the league and there are no world beaters within it's ranks. If you think that Young's 'contribution' to that second Dover goal from weak free kick through to an even weaker challenge and topped by an inability to catch the man with the ball is satisfactory then fine. You're easily pleased!
I wish some of the others were as out of condition as lardy Luke - maybe they'd run and run like he did on Saturday.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

At the match and again on video highlights, I thought Young had made a mistake with the challenge. It was a mental thing, a poor decision, rather than a lack of resolve or aggression. He was frustrated about the free-kick and wanted to get the ball back. But from his position he was always going to be second best. A better choice would have be to continue his run alongside the opposition player, hoping to slow him and allow the defence to get set. Other than that I thought he had a decent game.
TUST number 080
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Having seen over the first 3 or 4 weeks how Gary Owers and Martin Kuhl react I think we are likely to see a lot of changes because they will quickly realise, probably already have, that half this squad are not fit for purpose and will be on their way.

I think the players now realise that careers are at stake and they either man up or are shipped out.

I used to rate McGinty but he is having a mare this season and is a very limited footballer.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I would agree; those who are fit for purpose are not performing in a fit for purpose manner either; and the very experienced management will now it is either 'them or us' if this continues.

Weak challenges, lack of resolve to maintain and win possession; stop and block crosses and balls coming through unchallenged from opposition goalkeeper to the back of our net are rife amongst this squad and it all has to stop because that is why they are bottom of the league.

Some players are clearly unfit for purpose and others are letting the supporters, the club and themselves down because whilst they have the attributes they clearly do not have either the desire or pride in themselves to perform even adequately.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

merse btpir wrote: 11 Oct 2017, 10:50 I would agree; those who are fit for purpose are not performing in a fit for purpose manner either; and the very experienced management will now it is either 'them or us' if this continues.

Weak challenges, lack of resolve to maintain and win possession; stop and block crosses and balls coming through unchallenged from opposition goalkeeper to the back of our net are rife amongst this squad and it all has to stop because that is why they are bottom of the league.

Some players are clearly unfit for purpose and others are letting the supporters, the club and themselves down because whilst they have the attributes they clearly do not have either the desire or pride in themselves to perform even adequately.
Frustrates me as in most other professions you would be reprimanded if you did not perform to a minimum set standard, just seems that footballers can pretty much do what they want whilst under contract. Who writes these contracts? Can they not introduce KPI's that if consistently not met then internal disciplinary measures would be taken?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

The slant you put on it really sits with the types of contracts managers are subject to ~ or are at most responsible clubs ~ which contain clauses appertaining to performance targets, league positions after defined numbers of games, review clauses and dates.

Player contracts relate more to agreed salaries and bonuses relating to wins, draws and appearance money, achievements of promotion and sometimes on a share of agreed gate income over and above an agreed target; the obligation of the player to keep in a state of fitness appertaining to playing professional football and maybe certain aspects of their private and personal conduct as it relates to the reputation of the club and the game in general....it is managers who carry the can for relegation and failure as regards getting sacked whilst players stand not to receive re-engagement terms if they fail to deliver.

To the best of my knowledge there is no 'punitive' structure in place for 'in season struggles' save for the absence of bonus payments for obviously under achieving.

I sometimes wonder whether there has been an absence of productivity bonus/incentive at all from any of the playing contracts that Torquay United have been offering players in recent times owing to the desperate state of the club's finances as they have been put over to us and it could just be that a new regime, management structure and mind set will put that to rights if needs be.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The next match for the part-timers (on full-time wages) looms closer. Maybe we'll see a full-time performance from the first whistle to the last whistle. I'm sure there was a prediction thread started by mentally odd Raynman. 1-1 was it? Taken down because it wasn't an official match day thread?

Outstanding! :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

merse btpir wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 23:22 Are you trying to say that only those who are at the game can then comment on an Internet forum? There will be occasions (as there have been in the past) when I am at the game and you will not be. Will that preclude you from commenting?
Yes - you are absolutely correct. I never post on games I have not attended and I would never base a player's performance on a two-minute video clip.