Torquay v Dover Saturday 7/10/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

Can't see the point of having a Championship CB on loan and left on the bench and playing Mcginty

Ref Allison isn't improving with age,just as crap as ever
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Beaten by a better side on their right side they were full of strength and pace which stopped our left back getting the freedom he had on Tuesday.
I thought Murphy who was man marked the whole game should have taken his marker out wide where he would not have been comfortable this would have left McQuiod to go through the middle. Murphy was the key to our system and was not effective today.
The first goal Davis was the wrong side of his man and made it easy for them to score with the header.
The wind probably spoilt the passing game but from front to back we were to spaced out.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Agree with Arcadia, we were beaten by the better side on the day. Dover were stronger, more aware of what was going on around them and rarely broke sweat throughout the match. Torquay just huffed and puffed and would never have scored even if the match was still being played now. A poor performance in which only Luke Young really stood out from the average performers on display for the Gulls. I thought Dorel looked nervous and unconvincing in goal. The referee gave his usual series of baffling decisions, usually in Dover's favour - perhaps her was trying to even things up after sending 2 Tranmere players off here in August. Oh, and Galiifuoco looked a class act - why oh why was he allowed to leave?!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Let's be honest we were total crap. All supposedly involved should be ashamed. When we had little money there was an excuse. We failed to compete at all.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

This was a bitterly disappointing display after the superb performance on Tuesday against Maidenhead.

Dover have had 5 clean sheets in the last 7 games and you can see why. They have conceded 10 goals in 15 games. Mean.
They mark very tight and give opponents very little room. Manny Parry at center back stuck to Murphy like glue. When he fouled Murphy Sam Allison was not looking which is why I dread it when he is the ref because he must be the worst ref in the National League.

Gary Owers and Martin Kuhl are quickly understanding which players are worth their place and which ones will be shipped out.
With George Dowling and Jordan Lee coming back there will be changes because a number of players today proved yet again they are just not good enough,tough enough or aggressive enough.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Dazza wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 19:41 Let's be honest we were total crap. All supposedly involved should be ashamed. When we had little money there was an excuse. We failed to compete at all.
The players gave a lot of effort but because the play was stretched they had farther to run to close down play on Tuesday it was intense where the play was tight and they closed down quickly. When there is space it looks as though it's not happening but it is.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

If that was effort God help us.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

budegull1954 wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 19:35 . Oh, and Galiifuoco looked a class act - why oh why was he allowed to leave?!
Same reason as Bromley's top goal-scorer Brett Williams - not good enough or fit enough or something 'enough'. Also note that Josh Rees is their second top goal scorer.

I just hope we are not blindsided by the Maidenhead win. Players who do 5 hours of scaffolding in the morning and then travel nearly 7 hours and have their team talk on the pitch, 5 mins before the game, are at a serious disadvantage. If our players looked tired and sluggish today think how Maidenhead players must have struggled for recovery time after Tuesdays disastrous day on and off the pitch, but good on them for securing a pulsating 3-3 draw against Aldershot today.

There are those that say we were beaten by a better team today. On that theory every team above us is a better team. We are still in serious trouble, make no bones about it.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 07 Oct 2017, 20:24, edited 4 times in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agree we lost against a better side today, and yes they were physical, I can accept defeat against Dover, but not in the manner we lost today. I totally disagree that our players put lots of effort in today, whether they were, or not as the case may be, they looked tired.

The thing that disturbed me the most today, after Tuesday, was seeming lack of intelligence in our play in the match today, if the other side have a greater physical presence, don't try to compete with it, to many player marking themselves out of the game, little or no movement off the ball, I mean, and surprised no one has picked up on this yet, how many times in the second half did Dorel try and speed up the play at 0.1, only to find not one single option to distribute the ball out to, time and time again, and you could see the frustration on his face, and in his hands, which he chucked up in the air more that once.

If you can't go through something, then look to go around it, pass and follow your pass into space, become an option to receive the ball back, as said, it's called movement off the ball, didn't happen today, if there's no option to go forward, then the player behind can become an option to retain possession and rebuild your attack, but when used today, the pretty triangles were just sooooo ssllooww, so your not stretching the opposition pulling their players out of position. And often when the ball was played forward to feet in attacking areas, no player on the half turn, so little or no option but to set the play backwards

Dover are top we're bottom, so yes, the result in many ways was expected, but should not be used as an excuse for than performance which was not, as said, good enough.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

We were under prepared today imo. We seemed to have no game plan. After it became evident that the supposed referee was going to let everything thing go we showed no answer whatsoever. This is no longer a bit part team. This manager has had some resource to use. It is far from evident on the pitch. If anything with former league players we are poorer than last year on today's 'performance'. I disagree that we worked hard work in my view we virtually rolled over.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

forevertufc I noticed the frustration Vincent Dorel showed as he clearly likes to distribute the ball to retain possession unlike Moore last season who used kicking 95% of the time.

I feel sure GO and MK will deal with this next week. I don't think much passes them by and they will improve the team.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

With Owers in charge there are surely going to be a number of departures soon - and some new faces coming in.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by budegull1954 »

Someone earlier on this thread remarked that Torquay's players are too quiet, with no vocal leaders. My son-in-law, who used to play at a decent non-league level with Folkestone Invicta, accompanied me to the game today (his first time watching the Gulls) and said exactly the same thing - and it's true, and has been true for the past 2 or 3 seasons. With the exception of Danny Racchi of course! The team needs to be a lot more vocal and passionate, and not afraid to give team-mates bollockings if things aren't going to plan. I wonder if Gary Owers knows Danny Racchi's phone number!?
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by budegull1954 »

Sorry, it was on the 'other' Fans' Forum that I saw the observation about the Torquay team being too quiet. Well worth reading this part of Swanny's posting below:

'One observation sitting in the Bristows bench today is that apart from our management team, our players seem too quiet and lack leadership. There was no-one on the pitch barking orders or geeing up the players or players busting a gut taking risks. We just stayed all match in the same ponderous way and it was like we surrendered to Dover. Dover are a decent team at this level but we allowed them to look better than they really are. As I said earlier all depressing stuff especially when you consider this was not far off our strongest team we could choose from our squad.'
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Dont know what to say really. I dont think we were as bad as some have written here but there was definitely a spark missing. Positives were the way we tried at times to pass and keep the ball, actually playing it on the deck more often than not. Even McGinty in the second half attempted to pass the ball without hoofing it, something which he didnt do several times in the first 45.

A lot of indecision or the wrong decision, lack of composure and non existant movement was most disapointing. We had so much possession and passing at times that didnt go anywhere because the first touch or first few seconds on the ball were poor. Dover were magnificent defensively and made their few moments of forward play really count. We had a lot of the ball but their keeper had nothing to do.

Some saying the ref was poor, yes he was, Dover were getting away with absolutely allsorts of pushing, pulling, niggling, obstruction, fouling all through the game. Professionalism pushed to the limits. We dont do that though do we, still too nice. Dovers play was personified by their centre half Parry, what a dirty, fouling, cheating, physical sod he is. Would love him on our team but I bet he wouldnt get away with it in our colours. Felt a bit sorry for Murphy, it didnt work for him at all and you could see the frutration creep in, but lets be fair Parry was all over him like a cheap suit. But as some have said, why oh why if somethings not working, why not change it and try something different. Some of these players are still clearly not listening and go about doing things their way.

Fair play to Luke Young today, he was the best player on our team, put in the most effort and clearly kept trying and pushing on right until the final whistle. I havent really rated Young that highly unlike many of you, and I dont really see what all the fuss is about, but today he was by far our best player.

Still believe with this management team we will be fine, I do like their touchline style and you can see improvement in play and fitness.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).