Torquay v Wrexham Match Day Thread 9/9/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Now the focus moves back onto the front line and i pray that the new manager sends Reid back to Exeter - complete waste of space today
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I dont like to knock Reid too much as he is a Torquay lad and tries so hard. He is not being done any favours
being constantly played on the left wing, so predictable that he will cut back inside as he is so right footed
So much more dangerous to go outside and pull the ball back but he cant do it
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Not saying a corner has been turned but you have to start by stopping conceding goals, one in two games now
compared with a shedload in the first half dozen. A telling statistic that in the two games Gowling has played
we have not conceded
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

desperado wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 19:24 Not saying a corner has been turned but you have to start by stopping conceding goals, one in two games now
compared with a shedload in the first half dozen. A telling statistic that in the two games Gowling has played
we have not conceded
Gowling organised the defence superbly today, a proper captain. I don't know why he was booked today, I was in the Family Stand so couldn't see.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

brucie wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 18:55 Its nonsense to say that a corner has been turned - we are seven points of safety. A corner will be turned when we start winning, not getting a draw at home.

The one thing which is a positive doe seem that the new signings have improved the side ie the midfielder, left back and keeper so whoever signed them does deserve some credit.

There are unattached players out there who can do a job - what it does illustrate though is how bad Nicholsons signings actually were though.
Doesn't it just, it really shows his poor judgement in relation to player ability and those giving him advice on available players. Tricky times.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 19:07 Now the focus moves back onto the front line and i pray that the new manager sends Reid back to Exeter - complete waste of space today
Complete waste of space most days...
apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Gritton

Post by apgull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 15:09 they're not wrong....
they're f**king useless!! :@
Realise I'm a bit behind - but BBC sport, Sky Sports etc get their info from PA.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Read back through my post, and others that were at the game.

Who says they are satisfied with a point from today's game ?

Who says we've turned the corner ?

We've come off the back of 6 straight defeats, we've seen some of the most woeful performances I can remember, and conceded some pathetic goals. There's no magical on/off switch where you can re-boot the team and fix the problems overnight, fixing the mess nicho has left us in, was always going to be gradual process.

As desperado say's above, you have to stop conceding the sloppy goals, you have improve the performance levels, you have to, first at least stop losing games, check box ticked on all counts in the last 2 games.

No I'm, we're not satisfied with 2 draws, no we've not turned the corner. But in these last couple of home games, performances have been by some distance improved, 1 goal conceded, not lost either, that gives the team a platform to build from, with plenty of games left to play 'if' they can continue on in this vein, confidence will soon build, results will turn, that's all some of us are saying.
Formerly known as forevertufc
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Wrexham may be 3rd but they are a very limited team and we certainly had the best of the first half.

Dorel, Cole and Dowling have improved the team considerably and Josh Gowling is an excellent defender.

We need a quality striker maybe on loan but with height and pace to make a real difference just like Kieffer Moore did last season. He scored 2 today for Rotherham. We look much more solid at the back but are just lacking a big man up front. Surely the answer is a loanee at a big Club but are we making the effort? You dont get if you dont ask!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

forevertufc wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 20:17 Read back through my post, and others that were at the game.

Who says they are satisfied with a point from today's game ?

Who says we've turned the corner ?

We've come off the back of 6 straight defeats, we've seen some of the most woeful performances I can remember, and conceded some pathetic goals. There's no magical on/off switch where you can re-boot the team and fix the problems overnight, fixing the mess nicho has left us in, was always going to be gradual process.

As desperado say's above, you have to stop conceding the sloppy goals, you have improve the performance levels, you have to, first at least stop losing games, check box ticked on all counts in the last 2 games.

No I'm, we're not satisfied with 2 draws, no we've not turned the corner. But in these last couple of home games, performances have been by some distance improved, 1 goal conceded, not lost either, that gives the team a platform to build from, with plenty of games left to play 'if' they can continue on in this vein, confidence will soon build, results will turn, that's all some of us are saying.
:goodpost: the rot has stopped and that's the positive, in fact a massive positive. The team now need fresh direction (hence a new manager with now previous connection to the club). Personally I feel a draw against Wrexham is acceptable. What was unacceptable was losing to gateshead to guiseley, Solihull, boreham wood with no fight.So yes today's result is a move in the right direction, regardless of our current league position, with 37 games to play we have to remain hopeful with our 2 recent performances.
Lucy
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Frankly we haven't even reached the early bend in turning the corner but unbeaten in two is a base. Tuesday's game at Bromley will tell us if things are actually improving - you never know we might even have a new manager by then.
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

Rather dull 0-0 draw. Positives to take from game.....better organized at the back with Gowling on the pitch, didn't look like conceding. Dowling adds bite and composure to the midfield and will surely be playing a couple of divisions higher soon. Think it is time to give Robbie Herrera's hat back to him, although with the Herald Express' penchant for spelling mistakes on the Sports pages these days, it may well have been his cat who was wanting a tilt at the manager's job.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

I hold up my hand as it was my quote as follows "but it does feel just a little as if a corner has been turned" that has created some reaction.

I still feel the same way this morning, call me happy clappy, call me what you will as I was there to see the match but I still stick to my comment.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Yes, come on, a clean sheet because the defence nullified most threats. We passed the ball creatively at times (mainly Dowling) which created some space on the wings, OK where it died far too often, so no service to the strikers. Some effective pressing and long range shots. In all less vulnerable and more together than vs Solihull. IMO
TUST member 200 ;-)
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Well done Torq2u at last someones favourite player Tommy Mitchinson, what a class player, mine had to
be Robin but could have easily chosen, Tommy, Bill Kitchener or Jimmy Dunne, spoilt for choice in those days
sorry to go off thread a bit but those top 23 countdowns in the programme are a bit bizzarre tho guess a lot of
younger people voting, but was struggling to think of 18 better managers than Kevin Hodges