Torquay v Wrexham Match Day Thread 9/9/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Didn't concede, didn't lose, and that's two with out defeat so a starting point to build from hopefully. Back four solid, gave nothing away, Dorkel think had only one shot to save, apart from a few crosses which he dealt with was a spectator, midfield compact, sadly in the final third nothing doing today.

The overall team performance acceptable with out being brilliant, the team got the point they deserved. Dorkel has made a massive different, handling flawless, in total command of his area, two games I know, but right now he's starting to look like the best keeper we've had down here since Bobby.O.

Cole another good performance at left back, having a proper left back in football how revolutionary, as for Dowling, please someone from the club first thing Monday make the call and extent his loan period, this lad's a class above anything we've got.
Last edited by Dave on 09 Sep 2017, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Yes, a good point. We kept a clean sheet against the 3rd placed team which I certainly didn't expect this morning. I expected a 4-0 humiliation. I know what you're saying WestYorkie, but honestly, did you really think we'd get anything out of this game?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Good to see Gallifuoco (you know the one that was not good enough for Torquay) holding the defence together at little part-time club Dover as they sit on top of the National League. Any chance of us going part-time or even becoming a Pub Football club, just might win a couple of matches
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

tufc si wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 17:21 WYG, you are aware of our recent form and our goals conceded tally, yes?....
I am aware , not scoring at home against a bang average team in my eyes is not a good result. Your just finding positives out of negatives
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

MellowYellow wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 17:51 Good to see Gallifuoco (you know the one that was not good enough for Torquay) holding the defence together at little part-time club Dover as they sit on top of the National League. Any chance of us going part-time or even becoming a Pub Football club, just might win a couple of matches
and he scored for them today, do you know he wasn't even offered a deal. The guy may have seemed inconsistent but not surprising as then good old Kev played him all over the place. Shame.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

westbaygull wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 17:41 Yes, a good point. We kept a clean sheet against the 3rd placed team which I certainly didn't expect this morning. I expected a 4-0 humiliation. I know what you're saying WestYorkie, but honestly, did you really think we'd get anything out of this game?

I hear what you say ;

But you can't just call a poor result a good result because of how crap we have been before.
I can't call a 0-0 at home to mediocre team good ever

It's not good enough today as with other matches

Piss poor
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Edit ###

Ok piss poor might be too strong

I feel its poor really

And before I get ambushed I live in west York's so no I wasn't at game but did listen to what i could before falling asleep
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

forevertufc wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 17:38 Didn't concede, didn't lose, and that's two with out defeat so a starting point to build from hopefully. Back four solid, gave nothing away, Dorkel think had only one shot to save, apart from a few crosses which he dealt with was a spectator, midfield compact, sadly in the final third nothing doing today.

The overall team performance acceptable with out being brilliant, the team got the point they deserved. Dorkel has made a massive different, handling flawless, in total command of his area, two games I know, but right now he's starting to look like the best keeper we've had down here since Bobby.O.

Cole another good performance at left back, having a proper left back in football how revolutionary, as for Dowling, please someone from the club first thing Monday make the call and extent his loan period, this lad's a class above anything we've got.
Clarke before injury was brilliant for us too, so now we have two brilliant keepers and I agree the defence is starting to look solid. The weakness is the forward line and this was if you read back on these post identified pre-season. It was clear then that we needed a target man. We got Fallon? We all presumed that there was no budget but on the radio commentary (yes, I boycotted the match) it was said that Nicho stated he still had money left in the players budget for emergency. Well having no target man is in my opinion an emergency so another Nicho failing I am sorry to say.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

To get a proper perspective of this 'result' just look at the league table and ask yourself whether one point is really enough?

Especially with two away games now coming up in the same week...they really should be called in tomorrow for some quality recovery; come in on Monday to get any lingering injuries sorted and train light; travel up to the far side of London on Tuesday and play, not getting back until the early hours. They'll be feeling their legs after a game on the Bromley 3G, so Wednesday off. Recover and prepare Thursday and off to Barrow on Friday morning.

Anyone satisfied with the returns from today needs their head examining!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Merse, it isn't a matter of being satisfied with it, but it does feel just a little as if a corner has been turned. After all, however good or bad Wrexham were, they lie third in the table one point off the top spot. Even if they weren't exactly hanging on at the end they were the team delaying and playing for a point rather than us as the second half wound down.

I've come away feeling more optimistic than pessimistic for the future about the on field happenings.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Agree merse.. ..today is a pittance.

1 point at home against average is poor , esp when your bottom of the league. Couldn't score

Not even bothered we didn't let a goal in...id much rather a 4-4 draw
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I agree with Forevertufc best keeper I've seen at the club but it's early days. It's no good going over the good points again but the place we need to improve are both wide areas and a big centre forward who can hold the ball up. A big improvement but please get the new manager in place by the next game.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

A frustrating game today, although many positives for me.

The negatives. Cole was excellent, sadly he had Reid with him on the left who was, to put it mildly, dreadful. Overall, too many balls up the centre to the Wrexham defence, who gobbled up most of them with ease. A distinct lack of creativity for most of the game.

The positives. Cole, but see above. Our defence was strong, good performances from Gowling and Dorel. Dorel is a first class keeper. Please can we have Dowling for the season, a great prospect and fine player. I also felt Gray had a decent game, 100% effort.

The referee. How on earth Wrexham ended the game with eleven men I do not know. They should have had nine.

Edit: A special word for the extremely gobby number 3 for Wrexham. A very lucky man to see out 90 minutes.
Last edited by gullintwoplaces on 09 Sep 2017, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Enough comments on the game from people who were not at the game
We played well today , look so much more solid with Gowling back , he is so calm and composed
The 3 new players have made a big difference, Dowling was outstanding, and Cole looks the business
Granted up front we are lightweight and Reid and Haworth on the wings didnt have their best games
The priority for the new manager is to get a striker who can not only find the net but unsettle defenders,
easier said than done I know. Think we will win one of these next two away games, bit more encouraged
after todays performance
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its nonsense to say that a corner has been turned - we are seven points of safety. A corner will be turned when we start winning, not getting a draw at home.

The one thing which is a positive doe seem that the new signings have improved the side ie the midfielder, left back and keeper so whoever signed them does deserve some credit.

There are unattached players out there who can do a job - what it does illustrate though is how bad Nicholsons signings actually were though.