Torquay v Chester. 2/9/17 Match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

View for yourselves

http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/mat ... /1-2849501

Disgrace to rule that goal out
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Nothing wrong with that goal.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

On those highlights very unlucky not to win the game. The only possible reason to disallow the goal is for a push by Mcginty on the edge of the area.

The referee hasn't given it so its a clear goal. Because their defender has got an unfortunate injury when the first cross comes in that isn't a reason to disallow the goal.

Quite what the linesman has seen I've no idea but as you say that's just a complete farce of a decision.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 17:37 I'm going for a draw! Sticking my neck out, I know. Thus:
TUFC 0 Chester 0
Att: 1003
Wivel gets a prediction right ! No, not the Chester game. On one of the threads, he predicted a F.A. Cup Qualifying Round shock and whilst we were snatching a draw from the jaws of victory, his beloved Whitby Town were being beaten by Penistone Church. Penistone Church won 3 -2 and it gets worse ........ playing with TEN men !!!! Dear, oh dear, oh dear Wivel - whatever happened ? Did you go to watch the game?

I admit that I'd never heard of Penistone so had to look on wiki. Apparently it is about 8 miles from Barnsley (so SuperNW will know it well) and it is the highest Market Town in Yorkshire. There's a bit of useless information for a Sunday afternoon. Did the rarified high altitude get to the Seasides, Wivel? Oh dear - no F.A. Cup glory this year ! :'(
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The goal is disallowed for what happens at 2.16 on the video prior to Gray scoring, there is a clear high boot into the Chester players face, I am not going to allow myself to get into arguments as to whether it's enough to given as a foul or not, my only complaint is, at the time of the incident neither the referee or linesman see anything wrong with it, it's only after Chester players surround them the original decision is over turned.

EDIT; And just add, as I've already said, that disallowed goal wasn't the main reason why we've not won the game, two of the four passages of play I described are on this video, as Merse says on another thread, basic decision making, the team should have scored at least two more goals with ease, and this match won have been won regardless.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

In my view, all of the Chester players who surrounded the lino should have been yellow carded. I didn't see the Chester manager get involved, but I understand he did, so he should have been sent to the stands and been given a smack in the eye. The goal should have stood.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

The linesman didn't see it and nor did the Ref so I'm guessing that the Chester player managed to get the decision overturned by approaching the Linesman with a blooded nose.

Looking forward to the rest of the season to see if it will all get balanced out. ;-)
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Don't disagree with much forever has said . I would add though that as much as we should have scored at least 2 more clear chances they hit the post twice following more pantomime defending.
It seems to win any game we need to score at least 4 a game To be sure of victory.
We desperately need Gowling fit plus another decent centre half before we can improve.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Just looked at the highlights. Re: attendance - talk about one man and his dog.
Meanwhile in giant-killing land: the Whitby Town forum, usually supine and rose-tinted par excellence, has begun to wake up at last. Discontent (small by TUFC standards but huge by WTFC standards) has begun to occur. Relegation ahoy! That's what happens when you sell your best player and don't get any replacements in).
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

forevertufc wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 12:22 Thing is, we can debate the rights and wrongs of the disallowed goal until we're blue in the face, it's not going to change the result, we can talk about 50/50 decisions going against us, and put it down to bad luck.

There is an obvious way to make 50/50 decisions irrelevant to any game, and yes, make your own luck. First half already 1.0 up, we have 3 v 1 attacking overload, square the ball and it's 2 v the keeper, you're going to score, we shoot keeper saves chance gone, second half, think it was Gray who robs the keeper down by the popside corner flag, square the ball to an unmarked Keating, who's highly likely to score, we try and find the empty net from an almost impossible angle, no goal scored, Reid has the clearest sight of goal he'll ever get, doesn't shoot checks back chance gone, Cole drives into the box, nothing more than half chance, shoot, could there be deflection, the keeper may parry it, where's the rebound going, nope, he turns out, ends up going on a mazy run off to the corner flag, thankfully the stand was there, otherwise god knows where he'd have ended up.

And this is the thing, most of our team right now do not have the confidence, to take some responsibly and have a shot, ok Chester did hit our woodwork a couple of times but didn't score, we could/should have been 2/3.0 up by time Gray's goal was disallowed, and that would have meant Chester's late goal would have been nothing more than a lost clean sheet.

Whilst I'm thankful as a fan for a much, much improved performance and hope the team build from here, you can't blame the referee or luck, we have look ourselves here for a missed opportunity for a much needed 3 points.
:goodpost:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

forevertufc wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 15:59 at the time of the incident neither the referee or linesman see anything wrong with it, it's only after Chester players surround them the original decision is over turned.
Well (as discussed on another disallowed goal thread) unless the lino has immediately set off back to the restart (halfway line) position then by his body language he is discreetly informing the referee there is a problem with the 'goal' as he sees it. We've been through all this before ~ he's telling the ref he's seen a transgression...and his angle is much better to judge from than that of the TV camera!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

That's fair enough, Merse. I'm not disputing the goal was correctly disallowed, I always look at these things in reverse, had Chester scored that goal against us, and the referee and linesman allowed it to stand, I wouldn't have been to happy, being honest, I don't think many of us would, deep down most of us know the ref got it right, however he came to the end decision , so from that point of view, how can I complain because the decision went against, rather than for us.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Briangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Briangull »

What is more concerning to me is the defending on there equalizer absolute shambles. The disallowed goal was a 50/50 for me could see why the foul was given. But our defending has to be better.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Briangull wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 19:30 The disallowed goal was a 50/50 for me could see why the foul was given.
Now what do you think?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Taking another look at it the goal does seem to have been disallowed for a boot to the face of the Chester player ie dangerous play.

However what I don't understand is that the linesman clearly doesn't flag for the foul at the time it was committed, There isn't any advantage to Chester because the ball is in their penalty box.

If the linesman has seen a foul surely he has to flag for it at the time of the offence. Surely he cannot just "play on" and then give it because we happen to score a goal two minutes later or is pressurised by the opposition manager.

Muddled officiating as far as I'm concerned. Chesters goal is very close to offside as well - you would think that we should at least be appealing and giving the officials some stick.

We are just not streetwise enough - the reaction of the Chester players may well have got Grays goal "overturned" as the linesman appears to have changed his mind. We need to harden up.