Torquay v Chester. 2/9/17 Match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jamie Ndah Is God
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jamie Ndah

Post by Jamie Ndah Is God »

Can someone post a link to the footage of the disallowed goal that is apparently on Twitter? I was there today and like most people was baffled and gutted to see the goal ruled out.

It's criminal that Torquay didn't win today given the chances that were fluffed, but hopefully the performance will build confidence to take into the next game.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Seeing as the restart was an indirect free kick then it was for dangerous play (high foot or leading arm?)

With no contact it's an indirect free kick. But with contact it's a direct free kick

If one of the match officials considers after being asked by the team in question the high foot was dangerous; the goal is going to be ruled out.

But read Jon McCarthy in his after match comments:
“Look at the state of his nose. He’s had his nose broken in the box, a horrendous challenge, and it shouldn’t have been allowed to happen.

“I’m thinking it was three fouls. John has been kicked or elbowed in the head and play should get stopped but there’s another two fouls on the edge of the box, when Joycey (Wade Joyce) and Kingsley (James) are pulled back, and it kept going and going, and I couldn’t understand why, and then he (Gray) fires one in the top corner.

“I think they (the officials) realised they made a mistake. It was the right decision in the end but it’s whether something should have been done to their player.”
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

merse btpir wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 22:00 Seeing as the restart was an indirect free kick then it was for dangerous play (high foot or leading arm?)

With no contact it's an indirect free kick. But with contact it's a direct free kick

If one of the match officials considers after being asked by the team in question the high foot was dangerous; the goal is going to be ruled out.
Don't think that could be the case as the defender went off for treatment so there was definitely contact.

Besides that Chester were an awful team who made us look better than we actual were.
They could of been 4-1 up at half time. They hit post and bar, fluffed an one on one with the keeper, and missed an almost open goal when it would of been easier to score.
They were probably the worst team we have played this year.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

So thats now two games where players have bullied refs/linesman into changing their minds and wiping out our goals. Getting a bit pissed off with this ! Fed up of being the victim. Our players should bully the ref and linesman to get decisions in our favour !!

Pissed off with being nicey nicey do to others what they are doing to us !!
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

somersetgull wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 23:45
how boring it must be to follow Manchester United's results from Devon and be happy every Saturday night compared to the life of a Torquay United SUPPORTER!
But at least your cat would get fed.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Dutchgull wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 01:01 So thats now two games where players have bullied refs/linesman into changing their minds and wiping out our goals. Getting a bit pissed off with this ! Fed up of being the victim. Our players should bully the ref and linesman to get decisions in our favour !!

Pissed off with being nicey nicey do to others what they are doing to us !!
Yep, as the Chester players crowded around the linesman pressuring him for a decision our lads just watched meekly on from a distance.

Our captain should have been over there pressing the case for the goal to stand.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

So McCarthy says it was a horrendous challenge but doesnt know whether it was a kick or an elbow
so he didnt see it but can still say it was a horrendous challenge. The referee didnt see anything either
as he gave the goal. I dont like this new rule , if the linesman sees a foul why cant he flag at the time as
before, why does he need 2 minutes to think about it. More understandable with an offside perhaps
with the interfering business. Two players were pulled back as well? goes on all the time, McCarthy must be
very relieved, could have saved his job
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Know how you feel Somerset, have not been so angry after a game and driving home for years, not with
the players and team but just the way things are going for us generally, some will say you make your own luck
maybe so, but we really need a break
Wife and dog cowering under the table when I got home, I actually went out and picked blackberries for an
hour, very good therapy as it happened, at least its not Strictly Come Dancing yet on a saturday.....
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

somersetgull wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 23:45 I love been a Tourquay supporter. Today standing on the pop after 89 mins and 59 seconds I was happy, relief and life was great looking forward to my Saturday night. 10 seconds later, despair what hair I have left was being pulled out, I was punching myself in utter disappointment!
My anger was let out on the M5 northbound damn that teenage driver cutting in front of me, a chance to vent my anger and disbelief at last where no one can hear me!

Arrived home, first to get it was the cat, the food bowl emptied with 1 force kick across the kitchen floor.
The teenage daughter was next 14 and dressed in jeans and baggy jumper going out dressed like that are you? You xxxx. Next up the wife, got my pies and chips from the crappy chippy not the decent one with long queues.
The pie and chips still sit on the coffee table untouched it a night of cream crackers and lager to get over today's game. The daughter not talking to me, the cat cowering in the corner hiding from me the misses in the bedroom keeping away!

But you know what bottom of the 5th tier in football and heading towards part time football, so what I love it, how boring it must be to follow Manchester United's results from Devon and be happy every Saturday night compared to the life of a Torquay United SUPPORTER!

Bring on next Saturday I can't wait. Who knows I live in hope of a win and a cuddle from the wife next Saturday!
I must be much calmer than you somersetgull......
I just made a note in my diary....simply says "bugger."

.........at least we got a point..... :) although it should have been three.... :'( =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

desperado wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 08:26 So McCarthy says it was a horrendous challenge but doesnt know whether it was a kick or an elbow
so he didnt see it but can still say it was a horrendous challenge. The referee didnt see anything either
as he gave the goal. I dont like this new rule , if the linesman sees a foul why cant he flag at the time as
before, why does he need 2 minutes to think about it.
It's not a 'new rule' ~ football has laws not rules ~ it is how match officials are told to communicate these days using primarily their two way radios followed by face to face discussion if that is then thought necessary by the referee.......better a delayed decision than an incorrect decision. And whatever decision it is; it is the referee's decision and no-ne else's.

Nothing is more inflammatory than a flag waved and then dismissed by the referee but of course Torquay United could pay attention to the FACT that they give the opposition the advantage at Plainmoor of sighting the visitors' technical area directly behind the linesman. Another case of not really being at the races and 'L plate' management in my opinion.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

I beg your pardon , law not rule, and it is a new way of making a decision
So if the Chester player had not gone down holding his face and then run to the linesman and had just got up and
headed to the centre circle, would the linesman have spoken to the ref, I dont think so
And you are admitting that the close proximity of the visitors technical area to the linesman could have had an influence
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

good post Dazza.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Nothing to celebrate in my opinion. Getting the odd point here and there isn't really of any use. Another game in which we have clearly dropped another two points against another poor team.

Somersetgull - your message made me laugh, but I know exactly how you feel and that's another reason why I don't go regularly anymore. I just go to see us win and I cannot stand the frustration of driving home when we have tossed games away.

You are 100% correct about the dugouts - I've never understood why we situate the visiting team in the dugout nearest the linesman.

They should obviously be in the left hand dugout (looking down from Bristows ) where they can put less pressure on the linesman and any they do can be negated due to their closer proximity to the home section of the crowd in Bristows Bench. Its just so obvious its just lunacy not to do it.

My flashcores was showing a 2-0 lead to Torquay so immense frustration when I found it was 1-1 at the end.

Not for the first team this season another 50/50 decision has gone against us. This isn't an excuse for our poor results but have we had the benefit of one decision going our way so far? It certainly doesn't seem that way.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thing is, we can debate the rights and wrongs of the disallowed goal until we're blue in the face, it's not going to change the result, we can talk about 50/50 decisions going against us, and put it down to bad luck.

There is an obvious way to make 50/50 decisions irrelevant to any game, and yes, make your own luck. First half already 1.0 up, we have 3 v 1 attacking overload, square the ball and it's 2 v the keeper, you're going to score, we shoot keeper saves chance gone, second half, think it was Gray who robs the keeper down by the popside corner flag, square the ball to an unmarked Keating, who's highly likely to score, we try and find the empty net from an almost impossible angle, no goal scored, Reid has the clearest sight of goal he'll ever get, doesn't shoot checks back chance gone, Cole drives into the box, nothing more than half chance, shoot, could there be deflection, the keeper may parry it, where's the rebound going, nope, he turns out, ends up going on a mazy run off to the corner flag, thankfully the stand was there, otherwise god knows where he'd have ended up.

And this is the thing, most of our team right now do not have the confidence, to take some responsibly and have a shot, ok Chester did hit our woodwork a couple of times but didn't score, we could/should have been 2/3.0 up by time Gray's goal was disallowed, and that would have meant Chester's late goal would have been nothing more than a lost clean sheet.

Whilst I'm thankful as a fan for a much, much improved performance and hope the team build from here, you can't blame the referee or luck, we have look ourselves here for a missed opportunity for a much needed 3 points.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

Post by Ray Johnstone »

1-1, as predicted. Sounds like a much better performance from TUFC, but the team still can't get over that line with all three points.

Ray