Torquay v Chester. 2/9/17 Match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
JonGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by JonGull »

After 1 zero and 6 reds in a row, surely at some point we must get a black:

Torquay 1 - 0 Chester

82nd minute in off Paddy McGinty's Goat's arse.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

forevertufc wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 21:10 Agree, this isn't about happy clapping any more, the teams confidence is in the toilet right now, it will not just be the job of the new manager to try and take the pressure off the team, but having players, that know the fans are behind them will help.

As a general point rather than meant as part of the quote. The atmosphere around the ground is toxic, I really do get the frustrations, feeling it myself, but the default chant right now is; either boo, rubbish, you useless f-in, C's, you get the picture, it must be real fun for the players to turn up, and try to their jobs, yet be on the wrong end of some vile dogs abuse, they are at the moment.

I don't clap the team off when they haven't done enough to deserve it, but there are times when I cringe at some of what's shouted at them, from the minority, paying your gate money, des not give the right to abuse.

I don't agree with this sentiment. Yes the atmosphere is toxic, but whose fault is that, the owners for having not the faintest clue as to running a football crowd.
Just turning up and cheering on a team who are never likely to resemble a professional side is just sending a message to the owners that everything is okay.
The fans pay their money and in return no employees of the club should not be surprised if those fans voice their discontent when the team fail to produce a half decent display.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 08:03 Yes the atmosphere is toxic, but whose fault is that, the owners for having not the faintest clue as to running a football crowd.
Just turning up and cheering on a team who are never likely to resemble a professional side is just sending a message to the owners that everything is okay. The fans pay their money and in return no employees of the club should not be surprised if those fans voice their discontent when the team fail to produce a half decent display.

The last manager told me how 'tough it was' for the players to have negativity around them, exuded an air of being the 'big brother' to them and never once mentioned their responsibility to produce; their responsibility to justify their wages ; and it just left me feeling that he was intent on having a comfort zone around the team and we all see the result of that.

You're right (in my opinion too) turning up and cheering on a team who are never likely to resemble a professional side is just sending a message to the owners that everything is okay yet that same ownership have used that factor as a major reason in their decision to acquire ownership of the club.

Well I for one don't really fall for that Mr Osborne with the little matter of you calling in your markers to recover a debt owed in the classic guise of the loan shark and then facing the quandry of what to do with your nefariously lured new possession. I would be much more confident if an ownership who had never been involved in the business ventures you have (with your disquieting tendency to close sporting venues rather than open new ones) were to promote the vision you have proclaimed whilst expressing genuine enthusiasm for owning a football club.

I mean; how can you expect the fans to turn up and support when you can't be arsed to do so yourself?
Ottery gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Ottery gull »

Despite the new signings, only two of whom at best will be available for this match, I cannot see how we will be able to field a team and subs. We have so many injuries now would anyone like to suggest what the match day line up will be?
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Gilbert isn't injured. I had a chat with him the other day and I'm sure that he'll fill one place.

Any ideas for the other ten?
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The kit man could fill in in goal.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Supes could fill in as keeper. He'd fill the whole goal and they'd never score against us....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

Seems the rumour about Lavercombe's injury is confirmed
Emergency loan I guess
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Absolutely no chance Torquay 0 Chester 7
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Bert wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 12:56 Seems the rumour about Lavercombe's injury is confirmed
Emergency loan I guess
Tbh I would play Osborn. We're going to get tonked anyway so why not let him have a start?
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

If we can't bag a keeper quickly, the bag line is being led by an 18 year old rookie with zero experience. As good as he may be, that's pressure right there!

With this paper thin depleated squad, I can't see us getting anything at all tomorrow.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Lunacy to have taken this long over a key managerial appointment at a critical time.

Lose to Chester and if Barrow beat Boreham at home which is a possibility then Torquay need 3 wins and a draw (GD) just to get level with safety.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

nickbrod wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 20:12 The kit man could fill in in goal.
Well it's not the kit man but a Frenchman. Vincent Dorel ex-Plymouth signed.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

With no manager on show S.G could be right.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Right ! I haven't